The Student Room Group

Psychoanalysis-soo you do it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dan3va
yes i do but i wouldnt really call it psychanalysis more just reading people

its not like im going through thinking "hmm she is laughing at a joke about pupies therefore she must have issues withe her family"

its more of figuring out what people are like

Oh, what kind of things do you use to figure out stuff.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Do you think that perhaps you are outcast because you hold the belief that you are capable of deriving inside knowledge of other people (based on absolutely no experience of that person) and then proceed to make judgements based on that pseudo insight?

Yes, yes I do. But it's fun. :biggrin: You get people to do far more interesting things than they would have otherwise.

But I was seen as an outcast before my super abilities came in :P.
Original post by Alpharius
My point still stands, stop over-analyzing everyone.

I am outspoken (if not so blunt), but I am not seen as an outcast. Far from it.

Your over-analysis is probably a factor for your reputation as an outcast/weirdo.

It's not, I had that reputation long before this habit.
Original post by Destroyviruses
Haha! Aslong as my incompetancy doesnt effect your health SURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have bizarre dreams too. I had one in which my friend set herself on fire in a pud with lots of alcohol around. Alcohol is flammable.

Hmm, and what would you say about that? I have a lot of dreams about falling, like I had one a while ago where I was in a large square room with a staircase spiralling downwards along the wall. There was a swimming pool in the middle at the bottom so I jumped off the top and as I was falling the pool disappeared leaving a tiled floor below me...
Reply 64
Oh, what kind of things do you use to figure out stuff.

just the way people act, body language, tone of voice etc

like when you are talking to someone you watch response to see what they are thinking.
Original post by Dan3va
just the way people act, body language, tone of voice etc

like when you are talking to someone you watch response to see what they are thinking.

Oh, I can't do that. I'll forget what I was saying if I looked at someone while I was talking. But I watch people while theyre talking that doesnt do anything.
Original post by Mad Cat Lady
Hmm, and what would you say about that? I have a lot of dreams about falling, like I had one a while ago where I was in a large square room with a staircase spiralling downwards along the wall. There was a swimming pool in the middle at the bottom so I jumped off the top and as I was falling the pool disappeared leaving a tiled floor below me...

It's no fun analysing your own dreams.

I'd say you are afraid subconsiously that when you achieve your goals you will be very disapponted to find that you aren't pleased like you expected to be. And infact are worse of than you initially were. You want things to slow down but can't help yourself.
There's a lot of pretentious bull**** in this thread.
Reply 68
Oh, I can't do that. I'll forget what I was saying if I looked at someone while I was talking. But I watch people while theyre talking that doesnt do anything.

I don't just mean the response when you are talking i mean how they reply and thinga as well
There's a lot of pretentious bull**** in this thread.

Lol! Aw, now you're sad openly!
Original post by Dan3va
I don't just mean the response when you are talking i mean how they reply and thinga as well

You get very limited information from how somebody replies. I like to focus on the words chosen.
Reply 71
You get very limited information from how somebody replies. I like to focus on the words chosen.

i'm no sure what you mean, the words the use is part of how they reply if they are using positve terms etc they are in a good mood and are having a good time, if they are using negitive terms they are not enjoying themselves

i would say that the way they use those terms says more than the terms themselves though
Lol! Aw, now you're sad openly!

I fail to see how that statement reflects any sadness on my part. You're not great at this psychoanalysis jazz, are you?
Original post by fire2burn
You give diagnosis's despite having no formal clinical qualifications?

I stopped taking you seriously at this point.

I fail to see how that statement reflects any sadness on my part. You're not great at this psychoanalysis jazz, are you?

Well , are you happy about pretentious bull****?

I don't mean to annoy you, you seem to be a very lovely person.
Original post by TurboCretin

Lol! What a funny typo, I hate proof reading!
Well , are you happy about pretentious bull****?

I don't mean to annoy you, you seem to be a very lovely person.

Not happy =/= sad.

What you are essentially doing is conjuring up some predetermined belief about someone based on absolutely nothing and then refusing to be disproven despite counter-evidence provided by the individual. Typical psychodynamic bull****.

Additionally, dream interpretation is utter nonsense. Dreams are meaningless, nothing but the by-product of random neural activity stemming from the brainstem and projecting to areas of the hippocampus and amygdala, top-down interpreted by residual activity in the cortex.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 77
Yeah, but I give everyone the benefit of the doubt. :holmes:
Not happy =/= sad.

What you are essentially doing is conjuring up some predetermined belief about someone based on absolutely nothing and then refusing to be disproven despite counter-evidence provided by the individual. Typical psychodynamic bull****.

Additionally, dream interpretation is utter nonsense. Dreams are meaningless, nothing but the by-product of random neural activity stemming from the brainstem and projecting to areas of the hippocampus and amygdala, top-down interpreted by residual activity in the cortex.

Like I said, I do it for fun, which can lead to information. When the individual gives counter-evidence or wether he/she does can tell you alot.

:smile: What do you do to have fun?
Original post by Sherlock.H
Yeah, but I give everyone the benefit of the doubt. :holmes:

AHHHHHHHHHHH hello mr holmes i love you! But I think your nicer on the bbc version.

Why do you need benefit of the doubt? You only need it if you think bad of someone. Which isn't the case here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending