The Student Room Group

Medical gap year

Hi all, I intend to study medicine and I will be taking a gap year 2011/12. I hope to spend the second half doing medical related volunteer work abroad, and I was wondering if anyone could reccomend any interesting, possibly not so well known programs. Of course, I am investigating possibilities myself, but any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I have looked a little at websites such as project abroad and gap medics, and what they offer seem great apart from how expensive they are. I plan to spend the first four months or so of my gap year in Sweden, and although of course I could work for a few months to save enough money to go on one of these volunteer schemes it would mean more time at home and less time out in the world. Naturally, I can accept this if there are no easier options but anything (even if it's a little off the beaten track) that might allow me to stay out longer for less money would be very good to know of.

I've heard of people who have spent periods of time working and living with single doctors (ie. that there's just one of them, not in the relationship sense!) in remote parts of the world, this is the sort of thing I'd be extremely interested in.

Thanks in advance for any help!

PS. I am aware that there is a gap year forum, and I posted the exact same as above there also, but I decided to also post here as the issue is specifically medically related.
Reply 1
Original post by Julii92

I've heard of people who have spent periods of time working and living with single doctors (ie. that there's just one of them, not in the relationship sense!)

This could work. Get a doctor for a BF.
Reply 2
Original post by No Future
This could work. Get a doctor for a BF.

LOL

Sex for work experience :beard:
Reply 3
Original post by digitalis
LOL

Sex for work experience :beard:

You hit dat beard, boi!

OP: My first post wasn't a joke btw.