The Student Room Group

Medicine extracurricular activities

(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by therajman
What are ideal extracurricular activities and how would universities know that you do them?

No hope here.
Reply 2
What are ideal extracurricular activities and how would universities know that you do them?

If you're good very at acting, there's no reason they would know.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by digitalis
No hope here.

:thumbsup:

OP do you do anything?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
what do you mean?

Nevermind.
Reply 5
yeah

i mean i do cricket and badminton and the odd football( but never watch it personally), but the thing is i only do them with all my mates. so thats more of a social thing. so im a bit confused on what they require. would it mean going to some clubs that do sports?

thanks.

Look, the fact you are asking means that you don't actually understand the point of having ECs and interests outside of academia and therefore why the medical schools want you to have them. You are just looking to tick boxes.
Reply 6
yeah

i mean i do cricket and badminton and the odd football( but never watch it personally), but the thing is i only do them with all my mates. so thats more of a social thing. so im a bit confused on what they require. would it mean going to some clubs that do sports?

thanks.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you have to be Olympic gold standard, head boy, and Mr Universe to get into med school. Any fewer extra curriculars and they just won't accept you.

:frown:

I hear Oxford doesn't care about work experience though, so maybe there is hope yet?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
I play fiddle in a band and ran an art and crafts club and had my work in galleries, along with charity work. But I got 2 rejections because my extracurriculars wernt competitive. Seriously I hope you do a sport; big mistake I diddnt just lie. They said stuff like head boy and top in my exam board were too disproportionately academic.
Reply 8
no need to act like that. who are you to say i dont have any hope in getting into medicine. if you dont want to say anything helpful, dont answer questions on the thread. i didnt personally ask for your opinion on the issue.

**** off, I'll say what I want.
we have enrichment in our scool once every 2 weeks which i found useful

im currently doing a sports leadership award, nearly finished it, need to do my final assessment which is to teach a group of small children basketball for 1 hour with an examiner watching me....

im doing st johns ambulance
im part of a youth group
im in the process of volunteering for a children hospice
im in the basketball team
i could go on really....

EDIT: and im deputy head boy- quite frankly, i havent done any proper **** atm and i was elected over 2 months ago
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by The Polar Dude

im currently doing a sports leadership award, nearly finished it, need to do my final assessment which is to teach a group of small children basketball for 1 hour with an examiner watching me....

im part of a youth group
i could go on really....

EDIT: and im deputy head boy- quite frankly, i havent done any proper **** atm and i was elected over 2 months ago

Your avatar is mesmerising.
Reply 11

im part of a youth group
i could go on really....

Hey just wondering, what children's hospice is it? I also live in London, and there's only a few local children's hospices.
Reply 12
Original post by phill232

I play fiddle in a band and ran an art and crafts club and had my work in galleries, along with charity work. But I got 2 rejections because my extracurriculars wernt competitive. Seriously I hope you do a sport; big mistake I diddnt just lie. They said stuff like head boy and top in my exam board were too disproportionately academic.

Are you being serious? That is ridiculous.

I didn't know animated chicks were your thing. Or maybe just digital...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by oHellno
Hey just wondering, what children's hospice is it? I also live in London, and there's only a few local children's hospices.

Its called Noah's Ark Childrens Hospice:smile:
Reply 15

Its called Noah's Ark Childrens Hospice:smile:

Ah okay, I had a feeling it might be that. I'm looking into that one too :smile:

:colondollar:
Original post by oHellno
Ah okay, I had a feeling it might be that. I'm looking into that one too :smile:

Cool! ive sent my application form at the end of march but i havent received no call/letter yet.
Reply 18
Original post by oHellno
Are you being serious? That is ridiculous.

Yeah, one of the replies implied that I was rejected before I even got my interview, it broke my heart as all my life ive never wanted to play much sport and was severly bullied because I was an arty bookworm. Now because of not wanting to do sport i potentially could have been denied my dream; thankfully QUB has my back :biggrin:. I feel bad for others like me but who got more rejections possibly for the same reason.
Reply 19

Cool! ive sent my application form at the end of march but i havent received no call/letter yet.

Ah, well I'm sure they'll get back to you soon. I've filled it out but haven't sent it yet lol :/

Yeah, one of the replies implied that I was rejected before I even got my interview, it broke my heart as all my life ive never wanted to play much sport and was severly bullied because I was an arty bookworm. Now because of not wanting to do sport i potentially could have been denied my dream; thankfully QUB has my back :biggrin:. I feel bad for others like me but who got more rejections possibly for the same reason.

That is so stupid. I'm actually just not interested in sports, and severly lack musical skill - trust me I've tried. But it's not as if I sit at home and study and do nothing else. Crazy stuff :rolleyes: Well done on your offer though :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending