The Student Room Group

Entry requirements and conditional offer! WHY IS IT DIFFERENT?

I just recieved a conditional offer from Ravensbourne for Broadcast Operations, on the website it says that I would need 1 Alevel A-C grade or 2 AS Levels A-C. However in my track it says my place is conditional on me gaining CC at ALevel.

Does anyone know why this is or what I should do?

(I've emailed Rave, but it's just I was hoping to get all my UCAS stuff sorted before the easter hols so I can start planning!)

BTW. I'M SO EXCITED! :biggrin:

Thanks!

Marc
x
Well congrats on the offer. Uni's can set the grades they want regardless of their requirements, are you doing 2 a-levels, then that could be why it's been tailored to you.
Reply 2
Two C's at A-level really shouldn't be too hard. Stop complaining.

One possible reason why they gave you an offer of two C's instead of one - they don't like you, but if you get the grades they'll take you in. It's the equivalent of Cambridge giving a Maths applicant an A*A*A* Step I, II offer (and I've heard about that happening before).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
It will be because of the increase in applicants this year.

for example; if the uni was able to give 50 offers but had 70 applicants who were more than qualified they would have to increase the offers given out to ween out the less qualified.

Im sure you will be fine to get 2 Cs if you try really hard though.
Reply 4
Seriously, 1 A level? Is this a degree on how to turn the knob on a dimmer switch?
Reply 5
Original post by therealOG
Two C's at A-level really shouldn't be too hard. Stop complaining. Honestly, I don't think it is worth you participating in higher education if you're incapable of getting two C's.

One possible reason why they gave you an offer of two C's instead of one - they don't like you, but if you get the grades they'll take you in. It's the equivalent of Cambridge giving a Maths applicant an A*A*A* Step I, II offer (and I've heard about that happening before).

Original post by tonberry
Seriously, 1 A level? Is this a degree on how to turn the knob on a dimmer switch?

It's becuase it's an FdA not a full BA degree. Meaning that it's more based upon what you can do not just the academic knowledge that you have.

I think it's better to not be as scrict on grades for practical courses for art when the industry I want to go into doesn't care if you're not academically minded but are creative and talented in other ways.
Reply 6
Original post by mwalsh
It's becuase it's an FdA not a full BA degree. Meaning that it's more based upon what you can do not just the academic knowledge that you have.

I think it's better to not be as scrict on grades for practical courses for art when the industry I want to go into doesn't care if you're not academically minded but are creative and talented in other ways.

Fair enough. Good luck then!
Reply 7
The entry requirements are the average offer, not a binding statement. They can alter your offer based on how much they like your personal statement, A-levels etc. I wouldn't worry about it
Reply 8
They may still be able to take some people who miss their offer. If you miss your offer but meet their normal requirements you can tell them that
Reply 9
Original post by DMed
The entry requirements are the average offer, not a binding statement. They can alter your offer based on how much they like your personal statement, A-levels etc. I wouldn't worry about it

Not even that - I think they're more of a guideline, though obviously that can coincide with average offers given depending on how things go year to year.

It's fairly usual for entry requirements and offers to be different - both ways, too.
Reply 10
Entry requirements are a general rule. Universities can set whatever grades they like as an offer, however if you meet their offer they have a legal right to accept you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending