The Student Room Group

People in Year 12 or below: Are you still going to university now fees have risen?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BambieWambie
Silly little girl

Hahaha exactly. I hate it when clearly privileged people feel superior to the 'stupid, poor and common rabble' when they clearly have no idea what it is like to have to worry about whether they can afford to go to university or not. A lot of parents talk their kids into getting a job straight from school to help pay the bills, which is why scrapping EMA is clearly a big mistake, without support how do people expect low income families to have the same opportunities as everyone else!
Reply 21
If SLC stopped giving out loans to students and went bust, students would be expected to pay £9,000 a year from their own pocket. Would you still go uni in this case? Can you afford it?
Not so sure, definately having a re-think. If I get the right grades for exactly what I want to do and I get in to one of my preferred unis then it will probably be worth it .
Well, I think people would still go, just discouraged to read a subject that won't help them much in the job market (there aren't many to go around). It'll bring forth a more competitive edge though, as Universities with lower fees will attract those who don't want to pay much more than needed.

Of course many will go into thousands of debt, which is rather melancholy. I know that (at the top institutions) American students graduate with maybe £10000 debt which is way lower than British students would graduate with. Of course, they do have a larger endowment and many do get jobs and scholarships, or aid in other means.
Original post by Khaysha-Saine
I think the rise in fees is a BIG mistake because now all people are going to do is either apply for a high ranking degree such as law, medical, maths ect and nobodies going to apply for the lower ranking courses because the fees expected income ratio will be too low. So what about jobs such as marketing, game design media? All these aspect that help the UK economy aren’t going to be studied and in the end there going to have too many lawyers and doctors and nothing else.If I was going to be effected by the rising fees I wouldn’t be going to the university I wanted to or be studying the course I want to study, I would study something I think would help me pay the £30K+ deposit on a house debt id be in!

:lolwut:
First of all there's a set quota for medical and dental students set in the uk, this wont be increased because it costs over £150,000 to educate one medical student, so no, there wont be loads of doctors. As for lawyers most universities do that degree anyway, a lot of people who do a law degree dont become lawyers in the end anyway (apparently)

Secondly, you do know that nearly all the medical schools are AAA now right? I can't imagine every person applying to courses i assume you're referring to such as media studies and game design having AAA grades, mint gcse's, as well as actually wanting to study medicine and being arsed to FIND work experience and pay £60 to do the bloody ukcat. And then even after that you're not guaranteed a place.

I see where you've based it on, but really no
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Dekota-XS
If SLC stopped giving out loans to students and went bust, students would be expected to pay £9,000 a year from their own pocket. Would you still go uni in this case? Can you afford it?

Definitely not, there is no way I could magic that kind of money!
Reply 26
My brother is in year 11 and he's still going to go. He's even chosen which unis he thinks he'll apply for. Got my Mum on his case now seen as she's finished sorting me out.
Reply 27
Original post by robotwars
We have seen that fees in most universities across the UK will be the maximum £9,000 a year, with a few exceptions charging a bit below that.

That's a huge amount of debt to take on into your later life - £27,000 in tuition fees, adding to that i would say roughly £9,000 for accommodation (depends where you are in the UK really) and however much you spend on food and other stuff.

I was wondering how many of you are considering going to university now, taking into account these massive fees and the huge debt you will be burdened with. Or do you know friends or family who have to consider this decision?

Thanks for all your responses! :biggrin:

Of course I am. People are overestimating the impact.
Reply 28
Original post by .Ali.
Of course I am. People are overestimating the impact.

No one is overestimating the impact. It is fact that tuiton fees have risen, it is fact that cost of living has risen, it is fact that unemployment has risen and it is also fact that there is no guarantee of you getting a job after you graduate.
Reply 29
I'm in year 11 and wanting to apply for vet med.

If I were to go to cambridge (which I don't want to even if I am capable...) it would be 6 years at probably £9000. So that'll be £54,000 just to train to be a vet - not even starting on living costs.

It would take years and years to pay back....

Hopefully I will manage to go somewhere. I definitely won't be intercalating. My choices will probably be Bristol, RVC, Liverpool and Nottingham.

I'm at a private school now - but on a huge bursary, we couldnt normally afford it - me and my mum are even living with my grandparents, so we arent exactly wealthy.

I think a lot of people will have to stretch themselves to go to uni... but even faced with such great debt my sixth form friends are still going. As will i, hopefully!
This thread makes me sad for all the Y12's. If I get the grades this year, I'll be studying pharmacy £3375a year. I'm from a low income background too, none of my parents can work and if I was in Y12 I'd have only applied to unis in the north west and had to seriously rethink everything.

Don't let it put you off! Especially if you're hardworking, aim for those higher subjects and better universities. It will pay off
Original post by Smelly Ellie
Hahaha exactly. I hate it when clearly privileged people feel superior to the 'stupid, poor and common rabble' when they clearly have no idea what it is like to have to worry about whether they can afford to go to university or not. A lot of parents talk their kids into getting a job straight from school to help pay the bills, which is why scrapping EMA is clearly a big mistake, without support how do people expect low income families to have the same opportunities as everyone else!

Deffinately this, one of my best friends can't go to uni because their mum needs the additional income and so is going to work full time at mc donalds, even though shes a grade A student, whilst we all run off to uni in september :/ and this is only with the 3 grand fees, so I can see people wondering whether they can justify 9 grand tuition even though you get a loan, it's a large ammount of debt to be burdened with.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm 15 and I probably will. Some of my friends said they wouldn't though.
Yes, because for me, it's cheaper. WIN WIN WIN!
Original post by Keith Lemon
****ing welsh, you do realise you, along with the Scots are living out of our back pockets?

LOL jelly :colone:

Yes, because it's completely the fault of the Year 12s posting in this thread that we live in Wales :ahee:
Original post by rsp
Hi,

Im in wales so hopefully if the right party gets in , in may to welsh assembly . then the difference in my tuition fees will be paid for me . Therefore not is such a bad situation as other students. But i want to do medicine and yes the fees are a worry especially last year because u dont get a maintenance grant . Im looking for a part time job :smile:

You think its OK that central government subsidies your fees whilst we have to pay the full price?
Original post by Keith Lemon
****ing welsh, you do realise you, along with the Scots are living out of our back pockets?

Original post by rugbyladosc
You think its OK that central government subsidies your fees whilst we have to pay the full price?

Fail. If the Welsh Assembly and Scottish Parliament decide to prioritize education and fund it properly, then good for them. Don't blame the Welsh and the Scottish for the Westminster MPs not giving a crap about English students.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by squareroot1764
I'm still going to university, but I know that lots of people at school either don't want to go now, or are more hesitant to go, who used to want to. This saddens me, people shouldn't have to reconsider furthering their education because of money :frown:

They do know that they will not pay up-front don't they?
Original post by S129439
Fail. If the Welsh Assembly and Scottish Parliament decide to prioritize education and fund it properly, then good for them. Don't blame the Welsh and the Scottish for the Westminster MPs not giving a crap about English students.

Well lets be honest most tax revenue is generated by England, so I don't see why we should subsidize their fees. I am not blaming anyone I was just asking him if he would be happy benefiting whilst we don't. I actually hope the assemblies pass it.
Reply 39
I want to go into a Science-related career, so my going to university was never in question. Not looking forward to all that debt though :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending