The Student Room Group

Medicine extracurricular activities

Scroll to see replies

You need to be able to demonstrate how your activities will make you into a good doctor, have they improved your ability to work in a team? To lead the team when needed? Communication? Organisation?
Original post by phill232
I play fiddle in a band and ran an art and crafts club and had my work in galleries, along with charity work. But I got 2 rejections because my extracurriculars wernt competitive. Seriously I hope you do a sport; big mistake I diddnt just lie. They said stuff like head boy and top in my exam board were too disproportionately academic.

Are you sure that's the reason? Because many people don't do sports, or any other competitive extra curriculars, and don't get into med school.
Original post by No Future
I didn't know animated chicks were your thing. Or maybe just digital...

I prefer your avatar though! Shame it's so small...
Ideal ones? Those you enjoy doing - not those done purely to tick boxes.
Reply 24
Original post by Persephone9
Are you sure that's the reason? Because many people don't do sports, or any other competitive extra curriculars, and don't get into med school.

It could easily be other reasons bht that's what they wrote in my feedback.
Original post by digitalis
I prefer your avatar though! Shame it's so small...

I don't know a way of making it bigger? :s-smilie:

Not that I encourage smoking, of course.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
I played the trombone because it was a cool things to do. Other than that I just do things I enjoy, occasionally sport but not often at all. 2 offers. Don't do it just to tick a box, they can see right through you
Reply 27
I go to the gym and ski, and i have my PADI open water diver certificate :smile: To be honest, im crap at both sports and music, i just do it for the fun of it. I did a lot of extra curriculars through school and volunteering, but i got an unconditional this year. The unis like great sportspeople and musicians i think, but you can get in even if its not your strong point
Original post by Jen93
I go to the gym and ski, and i have my PADI open water diver certificate :smile: To be honest, im crap at both sports and music, i just do it for the fun of it. I did a lot of extra curriculars through school and volunteering, but i got an unconditional this year. The unis like great sportspeople and musicians i think, but you can get in even if its not your strong point

how did you get an unconditional offer?
Reply 29
Original post by stargirl16
how did you get an unconditional offer?

I'm a scottish applicant, and it was from a scottish uni, so i had already done my highers? I don't know if this makes a difference, but from what i've heard a lot of people got unconditionals for that one :smile: by unconditional i mean i didn't have to meet any academic conditions, but i still need to get a disclosure and immunisations done. Feel free to ask anything else if you want :smile:
Original post by Jen93
I'm a scottish applicant, and it was from a scottish uni, so i had already done my highers? I don't know if this makes a difference, but from what i've heard a lot of people got unconditionals for that one :smile: by unconditional i mean i didn't have to meet any academic conditions, but i still need to get a disclosure and immunisations done. Feel free to ask anything else if you want :smile:

thanks for explainig that and congratulations!!!!!!!!:colondollar:
Reply 31
Original post by stargirl16
thanks for explainig that and congratulations!!!!!!!!:colondollar:

You're welcome, and thanks!! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending