The Student Room Group

Chemistry degree. Sheffield or Cardiff?

I'm a really indecisive person and i'm struggling to choose an insurance choice for doing a chemistry degree

Got 5 offers from:

Bristol AAB
Cardiff ABB
Sheffield ABB
Nottingham ABB
Bath ABB

Bristol is going to be my firm choice but really cant choose a insurance.

I liked Bath but i dont think i could live 3/4years in a city which had little or nothing to do and people saying you can just go to bristol for a night out.
Nottingham has a great campus and a nice city but i felt that the labs aswell as the teaching methods were really old fashioned, eg running through paper booklets for a practical.

So Cardiff and Sheffield it is although i'd like to hear your views on all 4.
Both great cities although i prefer Cardiff plus its like 2hours closer than sheffield and i know more people going there plus i loved the vibe there. However i prefer Sheffield uni in terms of resourses (libary/SU), teaching, labs, accommadation plus its higher in the leagues.

PLEASE HELP! dont want May to arrive and not decided as accommadation seems to be first come first serve and they're already open..
Reply 1
Sheffield, for the reasons you've already mentioned (also, the atmosphere there is awesome). Although accommodation at Sheffield is not first come, first served!
Reply 2
Nottingham Uni is very good for Chemistry - due to it's ties with Boots
Reply 3
Original post by Peregrinum
Sheffield, for the reasons you've already mentioned (also, the atmosphere there is awesome). Although accommodation at Sheffield is not first come, first served!

Isnt it. Thats ok then, think Endcliffe have plenty of accommadation anyway, loved endcliffe except it being a bit of a distance away.

Have you firmed Sheffield then? What are you planning to do there

Original post by keiron12
Nottingham Uni is very good for Chemistry - due to it's ties with Boots

Good point about nottingham, plus it has the best research for chemistry in the country bar maybe Oxbridge. Just didnt warm to the place. But to be honest i didnt see the SU or anthing just saw the chemistry department.
Reply 4
Original post by TobyBed
Isnt it. Thats ok then, think Endcliffe have plenty of accommadation anyway, loved endcliffe except it being a bit of a distance away.

Have you firmed Sheffield then? What are you planning to do there

The accommodation actually isn't as far from the department buildings as it may seem at first. Not being familiar with the place and all the hills make the distance seem bigger than it actually is. It takes about a week to get used to it, but then the trip from your residence to your lectures seems like a very quick one (and less like you're climbing a mountain :tongue:).

I have firmed an unconditional offer to study biochemistry at Sheffield.
Reply 5
Original post by Peregrinum
The accommodation actually isn't as far from the department buildings as it may seem at first. Not being familiar with the place and all the hills make the distance seem bigger than it actually is. It takes about a week to get used to it, but then the trip from your residence to your lectures seems like a very quick one (and less like you're climbing a mountain :tongue:).

I have firmed an unconditional offer to study biochemistry at Sheffield.

hopefully, is the city of sheffield any good as i havent actually been in the city centre as didnt have time when i went for my interview. I heard it's good and has quite a good nightlife. might go up there for a look around at easter. :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by TobyBed
hopefully, is the city of sheffield any good as i havent actually been in the city centre as didnt have time when i went for my interview. I heard it's good and has quite a good nightlife. might go up there for a look around at easter. :biggrin:

I think Sheffield is an amazing city. It has a great community feel to it, almost like you're living in a village, but it still has all the big city perks. The center is great - it's architecturally very good-looking and has everything you'd want from stores to bars to coffee shops, etc. It's also really close to the department buildings so you can easily take a trip there and back when you have some time between classes. I'm not familiar with Sheffield's nightlife, but it's supposed to be really good. The SU is no. 1 in the country and the overall student experience ranks in the second place so I think that says plenty. Plus it's cheap, which is really good if you're a student.
Reply 7
Sheffield, its student friendly!
Original post by TobyBed
Nottingham has a great campus and a nice city but i felt that the labs aswell as the teaching methods were really old fashioned, eg running through paper booklets for a practical.

What's old fashioned about that?
Reply 9
Sheffield, it's brilliant! :biggrin:

*is obviously biased*
Reply 10
Original post by loquita
Sheffield, its student friendly!

Original post by lazyswot
Sheffield, it's brilliant! :biggrin:

*is obviously biased*

Put sheffield down now, woo!! :smile:
It's nice to a great insurance choice, as it's like 50:50 whether im going to my firm with my Maths being at 79% :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending