The Student Room Group

Black Chicks/People + Skin Bleaching - Question..[Sensible people]

Background to me before I start getting accused of all sorts:
- Of a Jamaican & West Indian mix.
- My skin tone is mid brown and i'm perfectly happy with it.

My friend just posted this on Facebook - My reaction was literally WTF?

Why do it? Be proud of who you are and your skin colour. I don't know why people are going on like they are disadvantaged through their skin colour, I certainly haven't come across any issues etc.. I could go on..

I personally think the woman bleaching her son's skin everyday should be locked up, its disgusting...

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

It's easy to tell people to be proud of their skin colour but when you live in a society or world for that matter, that places the highest value on white skin, it's no surprise that darker people deem themselves inferior.

Every time one visits TSR there's a thread on how ugly black women are for instance. The same message is promoted throughout society which ultimately means that black and brown girls view themselves as being less attractive than whiter coloured girls. I'm not just blaming whites for this because in all honesty I think black and brown people have really internalised a message of inferiority. Walk through anywhere in London and most of the black men who actually take care of their kids are caring for the mixed and not black ones. Why? Because their fairer and there's some sort of status attached to lighter babies in the black community. It doesn't surprise me that one of the black girls in the above video had a baby with an Asian just so her child would be light/ exotic; this type of madness has been going on for years. It's sad.

As for Tyra, why does she always do shows on how bad black women are? There are white/asian and latina women who have issues too. SMH
I don't understand why anyone would want to do this, a lot of black girls are very pretty. :smile:
Get them to watch this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm9pEWIPjks

PS. How do you embed a video? :confused:
Original post by VansHalfCabs
Thoughts?

I think it's disgusting.

I can understand why black women do it, especially in America which is still highly racist and opressive, but I don't agree with it whatsoever.
They believe that they will be more socially accepted because they are lighter? In reflection, it probably is true, but no matter how much they bleach they will still be black and that won't change peoples opinions. To try and squander the thought of lighter is beautiful and to try and oppose racism, these women shouldn't be bleaching.. It's admitting defeat in the eyes of racism. It's completely horrendous. Black people should be strong and proud of who they are. It's definately harder to be black than white in the USA, no doubt about it, but I don't think this should be the way of trying to rise up.

Not to get too black panther up in here :redface:

Original post by ilovepickles
It's easy to tell people to be proud of their skin colour but when you live in a society or world for that matter, that places the highest value on white skin, it's no surprise that darker people deem themselves inferior.

Walk through anywhere in London and most of the black men who actually take care of their kids are caring for the mixed and not black ones

As for Tyra, why does she always do shows on how bad black women are? There are white/asian and latina women who have issues too. SMH

Firstly, Can you really prove that black men in London neglect their darker children over their lighter children? How do you even know that they have both?
And besides, the main reason why there are a lot of mixed race kids with white mums and white dads is to put it plainly - black men see white women as very easy and don't hassle them as much as black women. Especially in this country, you can just look at working class areas and the type of white women who seethe from it tend to be those who seek after black men for mixed raced babies. This is NOT always the case whatsoever, this is just a generalisation of a small group of inter-racial couples. I don't know this for a fact but this is very apparent.

Tyra probably does shows primarily on black women, because she is black herself and has a high black fanbase. She's not Oprah who is clearly just a white woman in black skin. There is nothing wrong with focusing on cases just for black people either, if you don't like how she generalises to that race then go and watch the jeremy kyle show and lap up all the white skin.
Original post by Milky Milk
Not to get too black panther up in here :redface:
You can never get too Black Panther.

Original post by JCC-MGS
You can never get too Black Panther.

Nice to hear! :redface:
That's terrible. I feel so sorry for those boys. They're growing up thinking there's something wrong with themselves when they're all gorgeous! Shame on that mother for brainwashing them like that!

Being darker isn't a some sort of social stigma. Some very dark women are beautiful. It's so horrible that some people feel the need to bleach their skin to feel acceptable. All of those women are beautiful! And you know what another part of beauty is? Being proud of who you are.
Original post by know_thyself
get them to watch this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm9pewipjks

ps. How do you embed a video? :confused:

[ youtube ]put link here :smile:
(no spaces of course)
LMAO

Latisha and Latasha??? HAHAHA

Why do they give their children such stupid names :rofl:
My cousin posted this not long ago on FB - absolute shocking. I kinda blame "music stars", ie Vybz Kartel, being a prime example, apart from he used CAKE SOAP!!!
That's so sad. Poor child will grow up believing that the colour he was born with is not good enough and besides, isn't it a bit dangerous applying bleaching cream to a child? :eek:
Original post by Lewroll
LMAO

Want to get them on tv I suppose :smile:
Reply 13
They're basically saying all white people are racist, despite the fact the percentage of racists among 'minority' populations within a majority-white society is much higher than the percentage of white racists. This is offensive.
Reply 14
Original post by Lewroll
LMAO

Its emotional lol.
Reply 15
This is disgusting :/ i really don't understand why they feel the need to do that. I've seen some really stunning black girls who have lovely skin.

unfortunately its also quite common in asian culture, the 'fair and lovely' brand (which promises to lighten skin tone) is very popular.

:sad:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
meh...Only those retards and Congolese woman bleach themselves. Which is a minority compared to the all black girls.
Reply 17
Keep it sensible guys, don't want it turning into a mad flaming war, just want opinions lol. :cool:
Reply 18
But thats fair enough because thats your opinion and preference lol.

But then thats also opening up a new can of worms with the question, what do you define as 'darker'?
Latavia, Latisha and Latasha :rofl: oh America!

It's really sad that these women have these issues. But who can blame them? So much bloody prejudices in this world smh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending