The Student Room Group

Can I do Dentistry without Biology?

I'm thinking of applying for Dentistry, but since looking at entry requirements, I've realised I'm not doing the subjects wanted...

I'm doing Maths, Chemistry, Physics and English Lit, because when I chose my options I had no idea what I wanted to do, so tried to keep my options open. I'm predicted As in all four of them.

Seeing as I don't do Biology, does that mean I cannot be a dentist? :|

Scroll to see replies

No it just means when you pick your A-/AS-levels pick the 3 sciences :biggrin:
Reply 2
I meant those are my A levels. :frown:
Check the wiki

There's always graduate entry too.
Original post by Amy-Rose

I meant those are my A levels. :frown:

Yeah you still can :biggrin: Check what the unis want :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by blueray
Yeah you still can :biggrin: Check what the unis want :tongue:

They all say chemistry and biology at A level. Some say you can do it for just AS, but I haven't got that either.. :frown: So no dentistry for me?
They all say chemistry and biology at A level. Some say you can do it for just AS, but I haven't got that either.. :frown: So no dentistry for me?

In that case do biology As next year, along with your other 3 A2s, hopefully that will open up some doors for you :smile:
1) Make sure that you drop English Lit
2) Get AS MUCH work experience as you can, my friend only had a week and got 4 unsuccessfuls
3) Sometimes you can do an 'access' dentistry course that are 6 years rather than 5, for students without the specific subjects, almost like a foundation before you start, such as this one at bristol

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/2012/sections/ORDS/45/admissions

They also do these courses at Manchester,

However, if you look it says at bristol that if you have chemistry you should do the regular 5 year course, this is because often, chemistry is seen as more important than biology with these types of courses, for example at sheffield the entry requirements are 'AAA, including chemistry and another science' of which you have both physics and maths

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=4843982012

Long answer short, yes you absolutely can do dentistry without biology A level, just make sure you pack in the work experience over the summer :smile:
Reply 8
I'm thinking of applying for Dentistry, but since looking at entry requirements, I've realised I'm not doing the subjects wanted...

I'm doing Maths, Chemistry, Physics and English Lit, because when I chose my options I had no idea what I wanted to do, so tried to keep my options open. I'm predicted As in all four of them.

Seeing as I don't do Biology, does that mean I cannot be a dentist? :|

If you take it up as an AS in your 2nd year and achieve at least a B in it, you'll be considered by at least 4 schools.
You could either drop Physics and English Lit. and pick up Biology as an intensive A-Level, leaving you with Maths, Chemistry & Biology A-Levels, or, you could drop one of Maths/Physics/English Lit. and do Biology AS.
Look at the 6 year courses at Manchester and Dundee (include the foundation year) - they will take you if you don't meet the science requirements for entry to the 5 year course.

PS Bristol has a 6 year course too but they won't take you as you will have A-level chemistry.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Alison1992
1) Make sure that you drop English Lit
2) Get AS MUCH work experience as you can, my friend only had a week and got 4 unsuccessfuls
3) Sometimes you can do an 'access' dentistry course that are 6 years rather than 5, for students without the specific subjects, almost like a foundation before you start, such as this one at bristol

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/2012/sections/ORDS/45/admissions

They also do these courses at Manchester,

However, if you look it says at bristol that if you have chemistry you should do the regular 5 year course, this is because often, chemistry is seen as more important than biology with these types of courses, for example at sheffield the entry requirements are 'AAA, including chemistry and another science' of which you have both physics and maths

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=4843982012

Long answer short, yes you absolutely can do dentistry without biology A level, just make sure you pack in the work experience over the summer :smile:

An update regarding Sheffield:

A levels: The minimum requirement for entry onto the programme is AAA, including Chemistry, plus one other science. (For Entry in 2013 the requirement will be for both Chemistry and Biology)
Reply 12
Original post by Persephone9
In that case do biology As next year, along with your other 3 A2s, hopefully that will open up some doors for you :smile:

Hmmm, I guess that is an idea, I doubt my school would really want me to do that though? Is biology a hard subject? Could it possibly be studied alone? Thank you for replying!
Reply 13
check uni requirements
Original post by niceday

A levels: The minimum requirement for entry onto the programme is AAA, including Chemistry, plus one other science. (For Entry in 2013 the requirement will be for both Chemistry and Biology)

Bristol won't take people with A-level chemistry for the foundation year... Manchester and Dundee do though.
Reply 15
Original post by niceday

Thank you everyone for the replies, it's really helpful! Just a stupid question here, if I'm in year 12, I will be applying at the end of this year/start of next, so it will be 2012 entry. So this doesn't apply to me?
Original post by niceday

But OP will be 2012 entry no?
Reply 17
Thank you everyone for the replies, it's really helpful! Just a stupid question here, if I'm in year 12, I will be applying at the end of this year/start of next, so it will be 2012 entry. So this doesn't apply to me?

No, it won't apply to you. It was posted as a general update incase anyone reading is applying for 2013 entry. Sorry to have caused you distress. :smile:
Hmmm, I guess that is an idea, I doubt my school would really want me to do that though? Is biology a hard subject? Could it possibly be studied alone? Thank you for replying!

Why not? If you're capable of a dental school workload (I'm assuming it's comparable with a med school one), which if they let you apply they presumably think you are, then you're more than capable of doing an extra As.

Biology isn't hugely difficult, I personally think it's the easiest of the 3 sciences (I didn't study physics, but everyone else in my form did and it looked harder then chem!). You might benefit from some lessons if you find independent study very hard, but apart from the practicals I think it would be possible to do the majority of the course in your own time.

I currently do Biology AS with the aim of applying to Dentistry for 2012, and I wouldn't recommend self-teaching.

It isn't necessarily that the subject is difficult, but many people in my year mis-interpret it as being hard when in fact it just has a high workload. I just wouldn't recommend studying alone, as it may sacrifice revision for your other exams. I have the same predicted results as you (A's), and out of all of my exams, Biology is the one that I couldn't self-teach.

Mind you, if you're coping well with your current subjects and have spare time on your hands, I'd say try it, make sure you have the support of tutors in your school and possibly use any frees in college (I assume you have study-periods) to drop in some AS classes?

Good luck, as other have already said I'd take it up as an AS next year, drop your English, and do 3 Science A2s and Biology AS.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest