The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Thumbsucking

Mainly asking this out of curiousity, but are there any thumbsuckers out there? Obviously as we get older, its one of those things most people keep under wraps. The only people who know I do are my family. Always wondered if any others do, so fire away if you do personally or know others who do :smile:

Scroll to see replies

does nail biting count :ninja:
but i prefer to suck on other things :sexface:
(edited 13 years ago)
My mum does that, and she's in her forties... it's pretty weird to be honest :smile:
Reply 3
Used to but gave up when i was 12!!! Haha was effort, always used to do it before i fell asleep lol
Reply 4
my girlfriend used to do it, but I was able to wean her of it by using my penis as a substitute.
Reply 5
I do lol At 21 it may be a little weird to some people but hey ho who cares :biggrin:
Reply 6
No.

It reminds me of the lumpy woman-child who won Big Brother.
Seeing as I don't personally know anyone on TSR I'm not bothered to admit that I used to thumbsuck until last July (so up until the age of 17 and 1/2).

The only people that knew were my family and 2 close friends. One of those friends still does and she's 18. Also one of my friend's mothers still thumbsucks and she's in her mid 40's.

Even though nobody admits it, you'd probably be surprised how many people still do thumbsuck.
No.

..but i did only know one person who used to..i'm not sure if she still does. ( although i'm sure there was a guy in 6th form who did too but i dont know him anymore).
Original post by Stoof
Mainly asking this out of curiousity, but are there any thumbsuckers out there? Obviously as we get older, its one of those things most people keep under wraps. The only people who know I do are my family. Always wondered if any others do, so fire away if you do personally or know others who do :smile:

:ahee: I do! My sister does too but not as much as me.

I think it's the most comfortable thing ever. It's not the most embaressing thing to tell people, i'm generally not bothered. I loveeee it :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by Charlottelisabeth
Seeing as I don't personally know anyone on TSR I'm not bothered to admit that I used to thumbsuck until last July (so up until the age of 17 and 1/2).

The only people that knew were my family and 2 close friends. One of those friends still does and she's 18. Also one of my friend's mothers still thumbsucks and she's in her mid 40's.

Even though nobody admits it, you'd probably be surprised how many people still do thumbsuck.

How did you stop? I'm 18 and I can see it being a problem in the long-term as already one thumb is much smaller and more deformed than the other and there's almost a slot in my mouth where I put my thumb, same for others?
Reply 11
Original post by Stoof
How did you stop? I'm 18 and I can see it being a problem in the long-term as already one thumb is much smaller and more deformed than the other and there's almost a slot in my mouth where I put my thumb, same for others?

My thumb sometimes gets a bit anaemic looking if I suck it a lot but always thought it was BS about it making it smaller as mine isn't after 21 years. My teeth have never been deformed because of it either. Even though every dentist has always warned me it will.
Reply 12
Original post by Milky Milk
:ahee: I do! My sister does too but not as much as me.

I think it's the most comfortable thing ever. It's not the most embaressing thing to tell people, i'm generally not bothered. I loveeee it :tongue:

Out and proud :biggrin: lol You do it in public too?? I do. Bf has started bitching about it now though, saying he looks like my carer lmao Just doesn't bother me though, people can look, even had someone point right in my face once (I was wearing sunglasses so she didn't know i was actually looking at her lol). She just made me laugh lol. It is just so comforting.
Original post by kiss_my_asthma_99
does nail biting count :ninja:
but i prefer to suck on other things :sexface:

Guess the neg repper is scared of willies.
Yeah I have quite a prominant overbite because of it. I have like an almost slot for it as well! It was my left thumb that I sucked and it is that little bit smaller than my right thumb.

I think originally I wanted to stop because I wanted to get braces and also because the overbite affected the way I smiled and I couldn't smile properly. I didn't end up getting braces because at the time I didn't want to give up thumbsucking. I tried soo many times to stop but one day last July I thought about what it would be like to have a bf who knew that I sucked my thumb and that was it, I decided once and for all I'd stop. I certainly didn't want to go to Uni still sucking my thumb.

What I did was I wrapped that white medical cellotape stuff around my thumb. I did that every night for about a week and then after I didn't have to anymore, I'd stopped. I'm really surprised how easy it was to quit after having tried soo many times in the past! I haven't looked back since and I don't miss it! Whenever I put my thumb in my mouth now it just feels wrong, like how it feels to put your other thumb in your mouth (the one you don't suck), it just doesn't feel right anymore.

You should try the whole cellotape thing, it could work!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Stoof

My thumb size is exactly the same, but I have a weird flat bump in the middle but it blends in really well. I have no idea how it appeared but it's been there for ages. My overbite isn't that prominent either, my teeth haven't been affected that much to what I can tell. I've no idea if they'll get worse though :|

Original post by Smophy
Out and proud :biggrin: lol You do it in public too?? I do. Bf has started bitching about it now though, saying he looks like my carer lmao Just doesn't bother me though, people can look, even had someone point right in my face once (I was wearing sunglasses so she didn't know i was actually looking at her lol). She just made me laugh lol. It is just so comforting.

Hells yeah! :wink:
No I don't do it in public because I never get the urge! Sometimes in college though, I would do it but it'd feel weird more than embaressing, it's just not a thing you do out in public really.
Reallyyy? It's not like you picked your nose or something, it's hardly anything to thrown upon!
Its too comforting :ahee:
Original post by Charlottelisabeth

You never know...

I got quoted by someone who knew me in college I'd imagine (but annoyingly, posted as anon) a while back shortly after I made a post saying how I hadn't got any in a while.
It amused me more than anything :h:
Reply 17
Original post by Milky Milk
My thumb size is exactly the same, but I have a weird flat bump in the middle but it blends in really well. I have no idea how it appeared but it's been there for ages. My overbite isn't that prominent either, my teeth haven't been affected that much to what I can tell. I've no idea if they'll get worse though :|

Hells yeah! :wink:
No I don't do it in public because I never get the urge! Sometimes in college though, I would do it but it'd feel weird more than embaressing, it's just not a thing you do out in public really.
Reallyyy? It's not like you picked your nose or something, it's hardly anything to thrown upon!
Its too comforting :ahee:

Well I tend to suck my thumb when I am tired or upset and when I am in one of them moods I really couldn't care less about sucking my thumb in public lol. Place that I usually find myself sucking my thumb is in the pub :s-smilie: After a few pints I get a bit drowsy haha
Original post by Stoof

Cba, too much effort. Good enough answer?
Am I the only one who finds a girl sucking their thumb incredibly attractive?

Latest

Trending

Trending