The Student Room Group

A-level choices help? Russell Group Black-Lists?!

My teacher has said i am capable of getting into a Russell Group university, providing i work hard.

However, i am worried about my choice of options. I want to know whether my combination will ruin my chances of getting in:

-Maths
-Economics
-History
-Drama and Theatre studies ( Only for AS - unless something goes wrong)

I am not sure whether Economics and Drama would be allowed as they are not 'traditional' a-levels are they?

I will maybe take Spanish instead of Drama, but i think i will miss acting and regret not doing it when i see other people going off to have fun!

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

It depends what you want to apply for?
Reply 2
Do you have any idea what course you want to apply for? That will hugely affect the suitability of any subject combination.
Economics is fine, as are maths and history so you have three solid A-levels regardless. Drama as a fourth A-level is fine.
Reply 4
They're all fine. Economics is respected, even though personally I find it a lot easier than business, which isn't. :frown:
Reply 5
Economics is on a par with maths and history, so it doesn't really matter what your fourth A-Level is.
Reply 6
Have you read "Informed Choices" : http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/informed-choices.aspx

This is a document produced by The Russell Group offering guidance on precisely this issue. I found it quite useful when making my choices.
Reply 7
Thanks for the responses.

I have no idea if i'm even going to go to uni yet? I have no idea what i want to do as a career. I'm one of those people that is good at a variety of things, but not amazing at anything :/
What would happen if i ended up not liking, say, maths so ended up doing Drama top the full A2? What that cause a problem? :s

THANKS AGAIN :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by hannahsl
I think universities are more bothered about the grades you get in the subjects, than what the actual subjects are. But like people have said, really depends on the course you want to do :smile:

no... there are subjects that universities do not like, for example at GCSE level BTECs or Diplomas, or at A-level Law (soft subject).
Reply 9
Also- my 6form leader said there is no point taking Critical Thinking as an extra AS for 1 hour a week? She said it would be better to devote my time to homework etc.

Agree, Disagree? :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by mevidek
no... there are subjects that universities do not like, for example at GCSE level BTECs or Diplomas, or at A-level Law (soft subject).

Oh yeah I know, but even if a subject is considered a soft subject, it doesn't make it easier, therefore getting good grades is still important.

But like i said, depends what they want to do at uni, and i doubt (apart from like the top 5 universities) that they would reject you because you did a softer subject.
Reply 11
Oh yeah I know, but even if a subject is considered a soft subject, it doesn't make it easier, therefore getting good grades is still important.

But like i said, depends what they want to do at uni, and i doubt (apart from like the top 5 universities) that they would reject you because you did a softer subject.

I don't think that any Russell Group University would want a student who previously did a soft subject, no matter what course.
Reply 12
Original post by mevidek
I don't think that any Russell Group University would want a student who previously did a soft subject, no matter what course.

There are absolutely LOADS of people who get into Russell Group Universities who have done a soft subject for A Level!
Reply 13
There are absolutely LOADS of people who get into Russell Group Universities who have done a soft subject for A Level!

yeah, but say law in Oxford. They would reject you if you did law at A-level (most likely)
Reply 14
Original post by mevidek
yeah, but say law in Oxford. They would reject you if you did law at A-level (most likely)

Yeah, and i said excluding the top 5. And since the OP isn't doing Law at A Level, they don't have that problem. Besides, having a so called soft subject isn't the end of the world, otherwise why would so many sixth forms etc offer them?
Original post by mevidek

I received an offer for Medicine from a Russell Group university and I study ICT A-Level.
I'm sure that is considered "soft"?
Reply 16
One of my friends got into UCL and she has media as one of her A Levels, so :dontknow:
Reply 17
Yeah, and i said excluding the top 5. And since the OP isn't doing Law at A Level, they don't have that problem. Besides, having a so called soft subject isn't the end of the world, otherwise why would so many sixth forms etc offer them?

I'm pretty sure it is the same for all Russell Group Universities

Original post by planetconwy1
I received an offer for Medicine from a Russell Group university and I study ICT A-Level.
I'm sure that is considered "soft"?

ok, but I did say most likely

plus what school did you go to (comprehensive or grammar etc.)? Plus what results did you get?
Reply 18
Original post by TheHaylio
Thanks for the responses.

I have no idea if i'm even going to go to uni yet? I have no idea what i want to do as a career. I'm one of those people that is good at a variety of things, but not amazing at anything :/
What would happen if i ended up not liking, say, maths so ended up doing Drama top the full A2? What that cause a problem? :s

THANKS AGAIN :biggrin:

For somebody who isn't completely sure about what they want to study I would recommend keeping maths. Although I'm probably slightly biased, maths is the subject that opens the most doors in terms of degree courses as it all useful for all sciences and some social sciences as well as being a well-respected subject.
Reply 19
Original post by mevidek
I'm pretty sure it is the same for all Russell Group Universities

I got offers from 4 Russell Group Universities and I do a soft subject, the above people did soft subjects, so to be honest I think your point is pretty pointless.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest