The Student Room Group

DSA needs assessment on Monday

Scroll to see replies

how long did it take you guys to find out if you had to go for an assessment? I sent my form about a week ago
Reply 81
20 pages of about 5 pages worth of info, it just keeps repeating the same thing over and over again... mainly the quotes form different companies which I don't care.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 82
I think everybody has to go for an assessment, it's an assessment to assess your needs. My DSA app took about 3 weeks to come through.
If your uni does a covering letter, it's possible to not have an assessment but get some help. You might end up cheating yourself out of stuff. I initially couldn't deal with an assessment and was asking them to write and ask for a dictaphone, mentor and taxi allowances. Ended up getting much better help than that through going along though :yes:

I think mine came within 2 weeks :smile:
You misunderstood a little, I said 'if' i have to have an assesment in case they deny it. I really hope I get some help!
Original post by lozzyhickers
how long did it take you guys to find out if you had to go for an assessment? I sent my form about a week ago

I've sent mine about a week ago too and haven't heard anything. I hope they haven't lost my application again...
I still need to apply for, well pretty much everything :colondollar:

But that being said, I still need to see an Education Psychologist person to get the 'proper' diagnose. So I doubt there is any point in applying until I get that done. I've also got to go see an Adult Psychologist about concentration/attention and all that wonderful jazz.

Basically I came in an attempt to hijack the thread to ask if there is any point in applying for DSA at the present moment.

Also, as a side note, I hate talking on phones as well.
Reply 87
You misunderstood a little, I said 'if' i have to have an assesment in case they deny it. I really hope I get some help!

Well then no. If they deny your application then there wouldn't be an assessment for your needs, would it? The needs assessment is basically a discussion to see how the DSA funding can help to put you at an equal ground with others who dont have any disability, so if they deny your app then it means they don't think your conditions / disability affects your studies... What conditionsdo you have if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Livesindreams

Basically I came in an attempt to hijack the thread to ask if there is any point in applying for DSA at the present moment.

Of course there is! Get your assesment stuff done first though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ExTraP
Well then no. If they deny your application then there wouldn't be an assessment for your needs, would it? The needs assessment is basically a discussion to see how the DSA funding can help to put you at an equal ground with others who dont have any disability, so if they deny your app then it means they don't think your conditions / disability affects your studies... What conditionsdo you have if you don't mind me asking?

I've got severe depression, insomnia and recently been diagnosed with severe anxiety.
Of course there is! Get your assesment stuff done first though.

Getting the assessment(s) done is easier said than done. It took me nearly a year to go see the doctor about the recent issues.

But I guess I'll look into it and try to get it done, anyone know how much it's going to cost me to get a psychologist to do the assessments?
Getting the assessment(s) done is easier said than done. It took me nearly a year to go see the doctor about the recent issues.

I know it is, but you can't apply without evidence.
Reply 92
Then your app should be granted. All you need is a letter from your GP or psychologist if you see one comfirming your conditions.
Yep, they're huuuuuge! I think mine is almost 40 pages. It's upsetting to see it all written down but it really really helps. Make sure your uni gets a copy asap!

Finally got a reply yesterday from DSA - they got my report last week and now I'm on their work pile :biggrin:
Original post by ExTraP
Then your app should be granted. All you need is a letter from your GP or psychologist if you see one comfirming your conditions.

yup, have done so and it was sent about a week ago.
Reply 95
Original post by snoogy
Yep, they're huuuuuge! I think mine is almost 40 pages. It's upsetting to see it all written down but it really really helps. Make sure your uni gets a copy asap!

Finally got a reply yesterday from DSA - they got my report last week and now I'm on their work pile :biggrin:

How come DSA got your report before you? Mine was sent to me, DSA and my uni at the same time. And... oops.. they forgot the anit-glare screen I mentioned I need or I get headache... oh well, will pay to have it changed it DSA allows.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 96
I still need to apply for, well pretty much everything :colondollar:

But that being said, I still need to see an Education Psychologist person to get the 'proper' diagnose. So I doubt there is any point in applying until I get that done. I've also got to go see an Adult Psychologist about concentration/attention and all that wonderful jazz.

Also, as a side note, I hate talking on phones as well.

If it's mental health issues then all you need is a letter from your GP, but if it's learning difficulties then i dont know. But I don't think there is any point applying now even if you could as DSA is very good at losing things and they won't process your app unitl they have everything anyway.
Original post by ExTraP
If it's mental health issues then all you need is a letter from your GP, but if it's learning difficulties then i dont know. But I don't think there is any point applying now even if you could as DSA is very good at losing things and they won't process your app unitl they have everything anyway.

It's a specific learning disability: dyslexia and some other thing with too big a name for me to remember.

But yeah that's what I was thinking.
Original post by ExTraP
Just got my needs assessment report now and had a quick read through it, for crying out loud, it's 20 pages... and it makes me feel sad.

20 pages? Wow...
Don't feel sad. :frown: :hugs:
Reply 99
Original post by diamonddust
20 pages? Wow...
Don't feel sad. :frown: :hugs:

It's like having someone else telling you how disabling you are... with bits of missunderstood information... god... just writing a page long email to them to correct these little miustakes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending