The Student Room Group

AS students: how far are you in your revision?

The title is pretty explanatory.

I'm taking 5 A-levels, and have 6 exams this summer. I've covered about 1/2 of the unit 2 chemistry spec, 1/4 of the bio spec, am yet to look at the chemistry unit 1 spec (I'm retaking), and have done very little in the way of English lit and chinese revision and feel I've left everything a bit late, especially as I've got art coursework to do this easter :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Well I have 7 exams in the summer, and I haven't started revising yet!

Going to start soon though... I keep telling myself
Reply 2
LOL REVISION WHUT

have done zilch.
Bit worried, reckon Ima cram in the easter hols :/
-1 day into it (i.e. I'm starting tomorrow).

6 Subjects, 9 exams here (though 1 subject is General Studies and that hardly counts :P)
Original post by Chaofan88
The title is pretty explanatory.

I'm taking 5 A-levels, and have 6 exams this summer. I've covered about 1/2 of the unit 2 chemistry spec, 1/4 of the bio spec, am yet to look at the chemistry unit 1 spec (I'm retaking), and have done very little in the way of English lit and chinese revision and feel I've left everything a bit late, especially as I've got art coursework to do this easter :frown:

Sounds about right. Maybe step it up a bit this Easter but if you're learning it properly in the first place then leaving 1 week before an exam to revise is plenty of time, especially if you understood it in the first place. The key to success in science is to get the intuition of a concept, that way you can apply what you know to any situation. If you rush over stuff then you might not remember things as well since you didn't understand them in initially.
I have 3 exams in the summer
Biology unit 5
Psychology unit 4
and English Lit unit 4

I have typed up all of my notes for psychology and english so they are all in one place
I've highlighted by biology text book and done the summary questions
I've started making notes from biology
I've made lists of essay topics to plan
I have a whole list of 'tasks' that i'm working my way though that i'm going to really crack on with starting tomorrow in the easter hols
I'm starting to panic a little bit but i still have 9 weeks until my first exam
Reply 6
Maths and Further Maths (Edexcel): I'm pretty much there, I just need to polish off my mistakes!
Biology (OCR): I'm getting through the content, slowly. I've made notes on 17/101 sub-sections.
English Literature (AQA): I've re-read The Great Gatsby but I haven't started any focused essay plans yet.
Economics (OCR): I've made notes on module four, but still have a bit to go. I'm not too worried about grasping the concepts, so less time is devoted to this now!
Five subjects, 11 exams -__-
Reply 8
Haven't started yet, don't intend to until 3 weeks to my first exam. There is no need to revise so early if you have been doing the work in class over the year.
Reply 9
Original post by Choppyy
Haven't started yet, don't intend to until 3 weeks to my first exam. There is no need to revise so early if you have been doing the work in class over the year.

It just depends what you want to get out of your June exams. I wouldn't want to risk starting three weeks before and find there's a lot of concepts or content that isn't fresh in my mind!
Reply 10
Original post by jamiepango
Are you doing AS or A2 for chinese? And is it cantonese or mandarin? Just interested :smile:

AS in mandarin :smile: I'm not a native speaker, but found chinese gcse unelievably easy. AS level is really quite difficult though :frown:
Reply 11
I've been compiling revision notes since the end of February, and started doing just general revision at about twenty minutes/half an hour a day on top of my usual college work around mid-March. Started 'hardcore' revision on Sunday, although I haven't stuck to my timetable as much as I would have liked so far (supposed to be doing about eight hours a day, most I've done is five).

I've gone through three sections of Chemistry so far - Kinetics, Energetics and Equilibria, about two sections of Biology - Genetic Variation, DNA and a bit of exchange, and only covered Matter and Radiation for Physics (and I have to do both the Unit 1 and Unit 2 tests this summer!). Haven't done anything for Critical Thinking (not a priority), and wish I'd done more for English Lit, so far I've just compiled notes for about half a dozen poems and one and a half scenes of the play.
I.need.to.start.revision.now!!
Reply 13
Original post by Alison1992
I have 3 exams in the summer
Biology unit 5
Psychology unit 4
and English Lit unit 4

I have typed up all of my notes for psychology and english so they are all in one place
I've highlighted by biology text book and done the summary questions
I've started making notes from biology
I've made lists of essay topics to plan
I have a whole list of 'tasks' that i'm working my way though that i'm going to really crack on with starting tomorrow in the easter hols
I'm starting to panic a little bit but i still have 9 weeks until my first exam

Hats off to you, it sounds like you've done quite a lot already! I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to revise for english lit, but I'll manage :tongue:
i dusted my biology book off then put it on my desk. does that count?

i'm not gonna bother with chemistry or maths, they're so easy its just a waste of time. I will probably just start learning biology off by heart in a few weeks.
Should've started ages ago... I need to bin the stupid Xbox.

On a scale of 1 - 10 of my progression to the end of my revision (10 being the end of revision and me completely enlightened)..... i would say im about -6.
Reply 16
i gt 3 exams but revising lyk crazy
Good Luck!!!
Original post by Chaofan88
Hats off to you, it sounds like you've done quite a lot already! I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to revise for english lit, but I'll manage :tongue:

It's such a hard subject to revise for. what texts are you doing? what i did for AS (and will probably do this year too) is make a list of all the topics that might come up in an essay (and find all the past ones) and make a plan of what i would write for each question, then i try and learn them off by heart and do a 'look-cover-write-check' with quotes
So this year i'm going to plan an essay for all of the gothic conventions
and also, i bought the audio book for wuthering heights, i read it twice but it's just so long, to remember the story, the audio book is a really good call, i highly recommend it, you get to feel like you're revising even when you're in a 'cba i think i'll tidy my room just so i don't have to read' sort of mood
Reply 18
Original post by Groat
It just depends what you want to get out of your June exams. I wouldn't want to risk starting three weeks before and find there's a lot of concepts or content that isn't fresh in my mind!

That's fair enough, you can never know enough of your course I suppose. It's all down to personal preference I guess, some will have been revising savagely for weeks now and others won't pick up a textbook until days before their exams.

As you rightly imply, you get out what you put in.
Oh, i was convinced this was an A2 thread :frown: oh well, I got AAAA at AS (100% 100% 95% and 92% in final exams) so feel free to ask me anything about A level revision

Quick Reply

Latest