The Student Room Group

Clearing, Adjustment

Sorry, this may be a really stupid question but: what is adjustment? And am I wrong to think clearing no longer exists?
Thanks.
Adjustment is available to anyone who exceeds the grades of their firm offer come results day. It's only available to them, not anyone who simply meets the offer.
You get given a few days to ring any university you like and see what they say. Usually these'll be more competitive unis with higher entry requirements. If they have space and like the sound of you, you send them your ucas application and they accept you officially on UCAS.

The key thing is you can do all this whilst holding on to your original firm offer, so you won't be taking any gambles; you'll have a place at a uni no matter. Also, you can try as many unis as you like, as long as they're entering adjustment that year - I think Oxbridge might abstain from this whole process but I'm not sure, and I think they're the only ones.

I think you know what clearing is, but I have no idea why it wouldn't exist this year? Any more questions, ask :smile: I've been through the application process enough times to have experienced pretty much everything!
Reply 3
Original post by milesofsea
Adjustment is available to anyone who exceeds the grades of their firm offer come results day. It's only available to them, not anyone who simply meets the offer.
You get given a few days to ring any university you like and see what they say. Usually these'll be more competitive unis with higher entry requirements. If they have space and like the sound of you, you send them your ucas application and they accept you officially on UCAS.

The key thing is you can do all this whilst holding on to your original firm offer, so you won't be taking any gambles; you'll have a place at a uni no matter. Also, you can try as many unis as you like, as long as they're entering adjustment that year - I think Oxbridge might abstain from this whole process but I'm not sure, and I think they're the only ones.

I think you know what clearing is, but I have no idea why it wouldn't exist this year? Any more questions, ask :smile: I've been through the application process enough times to have experienced pretty much everything!

Thanks, that was really helpful, you answered everything exactly as i wanted it to be answered. Thanks.
Original post by Tom1993

Original post by Tom1993
Thanks, that was really helpful, you answered everything exactly as i wanted it to be answered. Thanks.

Be aware that adjustment is not as amazing as it is made out to be. UCAS are incredibly secretive about "success" with it and have only released data saying that around 400 people over the two years it has been running have managed to get a place via adjustment. However, what they do not tell you is how many thousands of people registered for it each year and which universities the lucky 400 were given places. The collective feeling is that none of the top tier universities will participate in adjustment and the spaces will come around the middle level universities, where say, someone was predicted CCC and then got BBC on results day or similar. The top level universities will treat adjustment like clearing - they just do not have the need to recruit new applicants.
Reply 5
Original post by oxymoronic
Be aware that adjustment is not as amazing as it is made out to be. UCAS are incredibly secretive about "success" with it and have only released data saying that around 400 people over the two years it has been running have managed to get a place via adjustment. However, what they do not tell you is how many thousands of people registered for it each year and which universities the lucky 400 were given places. The collective feeling is that none of the top tier universities will participate in adjustment and the spaces will come around the middle level universities, where say, someone was predicted CCC and then got BBC on results day or similar. The top level universities will treat adjustment like clearing - they just do not have the need to recruit new applicants.

Again. thank you. I suppose it makes sense because the top tier universities are going to have filled all there places for all there courses.
Original post by Tom1993

No problem, glad to help!

I was very, very lucky with adjustment and it worked out well for me but I suspect there was a factor in my favour that made me an exceptional circumstance rather than a norm. I got turned down by most of the unis I phoned though, so there is a chance I might be completely wrong.

But I'd probably agree with oxymoronic that success stories for adjustment are rare for the most competitive universities.

Thanks , that really helped :smile: pos rep :wink:
No problem, glad to help!

I was very, very lucky with adjustment and it worked out well for me but I suspect there was a factor in my favour that made me an exceptional circumstance rather than a norm. I got turned down by most of the unis I phoned though, so there is a chance I might be completely wrong.

But I'd probably agree with oxymoronic that success stories for adjustment are rare for the most competitive universities.

Do you mind if I ask what your grades were and where you originally firmed and then where you ended up by going through adjustment?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending