The Student Room Group

Women: Exposing your breasts in public, Is it empowering or exploitating?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Girls who flash boobs like that are only doing it for attention. These types of girls irritate me anyway. Admittedly though I have flashed boobs when wasted, just for the giggles lol. Getting them out to tan is different and I don't think there is a problem with this.

Also women should wear what ever clothes they want. If they want to show of their cleavage than why not. But they just shouldn't bitch and moan about men looking at their boobs. I mean seriously I look at women's boobs if there out there. You just can't help it so I feel sorry for men who are criticised for doing what is only natural.
Reply 81
Original post by Anonymous
Hey everyone, I was recently staying with some mates in America for Spring Break and whilst I was there partying there were dozens, if not hundreds of times when women (both and sober) exposed their breasts just because some guys wanted them to, or because they wanted to feel the sun on it or for some other reason. I've also noticed this happening at festivals and gigs and other places.

I was wondering: Have you ever exposed your breasts in public? Do you feel empowered by doing it (considering that in other countries that level of freedom doesn't exist for women)? What do you think of others who do it? Is it empowering or exploitative? And really why do you do it (or think others do it), I doubt anyone primarily does it to feel empowered, but if so it'd be interesting to hear why.

Cheers :smile:

Basically, exposing your breasts is neither inherently empowering nor inherently exploitative. If you do it because the people around you are putting you under pressure to flash when you don't really want to and you do it anyway, that's exploitative. If you're doing it because you want to and you don't see why you should cover up, that's liberating.

The complication is that it's sometimes both at once. The worrying thing for me is that if you show your tits when guys are around, the chances are that a lot of them will then assume that they can treat you like a slag. So even if you do it because you think it's empowering, the people around you will see it as a sign that they can exploit you. I mean, for heaven's sake, we live in a country where a huge percentage of the population think that if a woman wearing a mini-skirt gets raped, it's partly her fault because she was 'asking for it'. So what are they going to think of a woman who takes her top off?
Reply 82
Original post by QI Elf
I find naked bodies... unnerving.

Isn't that your problem? Why should everyone else have to cover up because of it?

I find it amazing how somehow you say you are "unnerved" by the natural body you were born with. Obviously someone has been brainwashed by societal norms a tad too much, there's nothing wrong with the naked body.

I'm just going to refer to it as the "body" from now on, not sure why the oxymoron is necessary. It's more "normal" than a clothed body.

Original post by QI Elf

There are far nicer things in the world to look at. Although I find men attractive, I don't find naked men attractive (or women, for that matter).

:lolwut: Well that is very odd...

Original post by QI Elf

Like at my friends' house (shared uni house) in their living room they have a wall of hot men cut from magazines. They often pick their favourite etc and when I'm asked, I genuinly don't know which to pick- I just find all their naked bodies weird and they make me uncomfortable to look at.

There is something seriously wrong with you, you shouldn't be so weirded out by your body, IT'S NATURAL. Just because society and religion tell you it's evil and shouldn't be looked at doesn't mean it is.
Original post by Dr Pressure
People aren't going to admit it but it's true:

American women are more confident and more sexually liberal than their British counterparts.

That is so true. British birds too shy.
Reply 84
Original post by TheFlyingDutchman
I love how someone mentioned sexually liberated. Like showing breasts makes you more of a modern day woman.

Why don't we all just start having sex in public ? That'll really liberate us.

That's a good point, how are you really "free" if you can't have sex where you want to?

I think it's a pathetic attempt to get attention. If I saw a girl do it I would instantly lose respect for her.

Oh wait I thought you were being rational... :facepalm:

Why would you lose respect for someone who has the guts to be proud of the body they were born with? Not forced to hide it under a veil by an oppressive society and prudes like yourself?

My gf's breasts are amazing and I know she would never do it. People tend to think that being nude and having sex with loads of people is liberating somehow but I'm not a chauvanist. The reason I'm glad my gf doesn't strip naked/flash/have lots of sexual partners is because I want parts of her to be only mine.

:curious: Did you really just contradict yourself in the same sentence?

My gf's had sex with one other guy and he's the only other person to see her naked and I'm happy about that. I know saying I want parts of her to be "mine" sounds weird and possessive but as far as I'm concerned she is mine and I'm hers.

Yes treating women like property isn't chauvenist at all :rolleyes:
Original post by Stefan1991
Why does the body we were all born with offend you so much?
Why is someone's penis distasteful? Would you like it if I called your body distasteful?

Oh piss off you hippy. I did not say that a penis is distasteful, I said waggling it around in ****ing public is just as doing so with breasts would be. Girls on spring break flashing their breasts in public is a pathetic attempt to get attention. It's nothing to do with being 'sexually liberated'. ****ing hell, why not just have sex in public as well? Let's all get ****ing natural!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by Vampyrcorn
You are pathetic. How can you have so much disgust for the female body? I hope you know how much damage your hate - and the hate that comes from some other men like you - can and does cause. Women should not be made to feel that their bodies are disgusting or ashamed for having a sexuality (that was in regards to your comment about being 'provocative')

No, I'm not pathetic at all. I don't have disgust for the female body, I have disgust for the lust and perversity that it inspires when women act in an publicly promiscuous and provocative manner.

Women should be made to feel ashamed for inspiring lust and perversity if they are behaving in such a manner. The social stigma normally attached to whorish behaviour is completely justified and sadly not upheld enough.

I hate promiscuous behaviour in men as well as women. Sexuality is something that should be confined to the intimacy of relationships, not flaunted publicly.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
Oh piss off you hippy. I did not say that a penis is distasteful, I said waggling it around in ****ing public is just as doing so with breasts would be. Girls on spring break flashing their breasts in public is a pathetic attempt to get attention. It's nothing to do with being 'sexually liberated'. ****ing hell, why not just have sex in public as well? Let's all get ****ing natural!

That's your problem, not anyone elses. I suggest you deal with your prejudices.
Reply 88
Original post by righteous
No, I'm not pathetic at all. I don't have disgust for the female body, I have disgust at the lust and perversity that it inspires when women act in an publicly promiscuous and provocative manner.

Women should be made to feel ashamed for inspiring lust and perversity if they are behaving in such a manner. The social stigma normally attached to whorish behaviour is completely justified and sadly not upheld enough.

I hate promiscuous behaviour in men as well as women. Sexuality is something that should be confined to the intimacy of relationships, not flaunted publicly.

I can't believe this many idiots actually exist, are you sure you're not all trolls?
And some of you actually managed to make it to uni, it beggars belief.

The human body is "natural", so how is it "perverse"? That makes no sense.
What's wrong with lust? Or perversity for that matter. You have a lot of unexplained prejudices that you cannot explain rationally.

What is so wrong with promiscuous behaviour that you get THIS riled up about?
Why should sex only be in a relationship? Lots of wild claims I bet you can't substantiate apart from subjective opinion or prejudice.

Absolute moral hysteria.
I only get the ol' tits out when breast-feeding.
Original post by rachelkeira
Idc about being topless if I'm sunbathing, obviously only with friends though, not family.
But I don't flash just for the hell of it, that's pretty trampy really :/

Lucky friends!
Original post by DumpOrStay?
"Spring Break"

Doesn't that explain it. It's like the American version of Magaluf :holmes:

Its better I'm afriad. megafluff is full of skanks n chavs.
Original post by Deema
Exactly, a compliment from a friend or acquaintance is nice. From the man as old as my dad on the street or passing me in his car? NO.

Urgh *shiver*
I'm just going to refer to it as the "body" from now on, not sure why the oxymoron is necessary. It's more "normal" than a clothed body.

It isn't an oxymoron. I suspect you were thinking of a tautology, but even then - not really.

Also you said you were just going to refer to it as the body from now on, and then didn't refer to it again
Reply 94
The only reason I would get them out in public is to breastfeed if I ever have kids. Because, you know, that's their biological purpose. Getting them out for any other reason, wouldn't be 'empowering' in any way. It's a shame that breasts have been sexualised in our society, but that's just the way it is.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by LtCommanderData
It isn't an oxymoron. I suspect you were thinking of a tautology, but even then - not really.

Also you said you were just going to refer to it as the body from now on, and then didn't refer to it again

Yes tautology, my bad.

How isn't it a tautology?
Yes tautology, my bad.

How isn't it a tautology?

Ah, well having re-read your post I realise that you said both "natural body" and "naked body". I was referring to the latter, but I apologise; "natural body" is (in this context) a tautology
Reply 97
I'd die if my boobs were exposed!! I've always been quite shy, I'm certainly not someone who could fash their boobs just like that! Never been topless on the beach or anything.
I don't have anything against it, its a personal choice isn't it. I don't think guys admire women for it, they just like seeing boobs! :-)
Reply 98
Original post by Anonymous
OP needs to mature abit! Some people are comfortable with their bodies and being partially or completely nude when on a beach has nothing to do with sex! and wats the difference between your nipples being covered with wat is a slight bit of material or not! next thing your going to be saying is breast feeding should be illegal as its exploitation or people only do it to empower themselves..... na its to feed the baby. Ive been to many naturist beaches and it has nothing to do with exploitation or empowerment. Just comfort and being yourself in your own body!

I was only asking a question, I never gave an opinion as to whether it is expoiting, empowering or neither. Generally, I'm apaethetic I just wanted others opinions. Obviously in the context of say a nudist beach or breast feeding it might be different than to a music festival when dozens of guys are egging a girl on, there's no general consensus on the context or situation
There's nothing immature with asking question at all...
Reply 99
I can't believe this many idiots actually exist, are you sure you're not all trolls?
And some of you actually managed to make it to uni, it beggars belief.

The human body is "natural", so how is it "perverse"? That makes no sense.
What's wrong with lust? Or perversity for that matter. You have a lot of unexplained prejudices that you cannot explain rationally.

What is so wrong with promiscuous behaviour that you get THIS riled up about?
Why should sex only be in a relationship? Lots of wild claims I bet you can't substantiate apart from subjective opinion or prejudice.

Absolute moral hysteria.

Yes, I am prejudiced against lust and degeneracy. Congratulations on working that one out.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending