The Student Room Group

Edexcel Separate Science Book - REVIEW?

Asking everyone who does Edexcel 360 Science and has revised using this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1846901537/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1903133688&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1KEKD5D76ECKCA0G8P6Q

Like to ask, how good is this book in comparison to the CGP? £16 is kind of putting me off for a course that will be over in about 1 month :/
I'm here :h:

I've got to this, but not the CGP one - to be honest, you're better off with past papers and the CGP one; you don't need two revision guides. How confident are you for the exam? What are your weak topics? Which science are you finding most difficult/hard to revise?

I'm sure there are online revision materials which you can use for free. But If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Reply 2
Original post by Lily Academia
I'm here :h:

I've got to this, but not the CGP one - to be honest, you're better off with past papers and the CGP one; you don't need two revision guides. How confident are you for the exam? What are your weak topics? Which science are you finding most difficult/hard to revise?

I'm sure there are online revision materials which you can use for free. But If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Main advantage is that this book is more in depth and covers the topic a bit more broadly whilst the CGP is kinda slightly more simple. Exams a problem, we're the first year doing this but I've yet to learn most the topics yet. Will go through it this easter though.
Original post by Procrastinate

Original post by Procrastinate
Main advantage is that this book is more in depth and covers the topic a bit more broadly whilst the CGP is kinda slightly more simple. Exams a problem, we're the first year doing this but I've yet to learn most the topics yet. Will go through it this easter though.

Ah, I think we're the second year. Last year did BADLY on this 30% exam. A/A* students were dropping down to Bs :s-smilie:

So far I've found:

- for Biology, you're better off with your own notes/CGP revision guide/ Edexcel 360 revision guide
- for Chemistry, you're better off getting your head around titrations, mole calculations and chemical analysis (what tests should be used to find out what compound A is etc)
- for Physics, it is useful on the Medical Part; it goes into greater detail about ECGs (brings in Biological aspects, which my Physics teacher despairs over! ;p) but the rest of it (Particles in Action, is that its cheesy title?) it's not all that detailed.

My Easter is just going to filled with revision, but unfortunately due to AS-French (which will take up a LOT of time; they're not joking when they talk about the jump from GCSE to A-level!) I'm not going to be able to spend as much time on the Sciences as I'd like. We haven't finished the Chemistry course yet, nor Physics, but we've just about finished the Biology. For some reason though I find the Biology exams harder; most of the time they're very simplified, and I end up thinking the answer MUST be more difficult than what it really is.

Best of luck with it all :h:

Out of interest, what do you want to do at A-level and further on?
Reply 4
Original post by Lily Academia
Ah, I think we're the second year. Last year did BADLY on this 30% exam. A/A* students were dropping down to Bs :s-smilie:

So far I've found:

- for Biology, you're better off with your own notes/CGP revision guide/ Edexcel 360 revision guide
- for Chemistry, you're better off getting your head around titrations, mole calculations and chemical analysis (what tests should be used to find out what compound A is etc)
- for Physics, it is useful on the Medical Part; it goes into greater detail about ECGs (brings in Biological aspects, which my Physics teacher despairs over! ;p) but the rest of it (Particles in Action, is that its cheesy title?) it's not all that detailed.

My Easter is just going to filled with revision, but unfortunately due to AS-French (which will take up a LOT of time; they're not joking when they talk about the jump from GCSE to A-level!) I'm not going to be able to spend as much time on the Sciences as I'd like. We haven't finished the Chemistry course yet, nor Physics, but we've just about finished the Biology. For some reason though I find the Biology exams harder; most of the time they're very simplified, and I end up thinking the answer MUST be more difficult than what it really is.

Best of luck with it all :h:

Out of interest, what do you want to do at A-level and further on?

Thanks for input. Biology is annoying on Edexcel, it's not that interesting :/...I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, History and Eco and possibly Physics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending