The Student Room Group

Do EC's Matter?

I was reading around and I am getting a lot of mixed signals this article gives quotes of Oxford University basically saying they take grades more than anything. Then from another thread that the IVY leagues - you need to be like a a national athelete with the grades to even stand a chance.
Help me.
Reply 1
Imagine yourself as a cake. Your academics are the firm spongy base, whilst your ECs are the icing.

The first gets your foot in the door, the second helps keep it there.
Reply 2
Original post by Jack.O
Imagine yourself as a cake. Your academics are the firm spongy base, whilst your ECs are the icing.

The first gets your foot in the door, the second helps keep it there.

Haha ok, but Oxford don't like icing?
Reply 3
With most UK unis you just need to show you have something outside of work.
Oxbridge couldn't give a flying ****.
With the top US unis you need amazing grades and literally outstanding ECs.
Reply 4
Original post by tooosh
With most UK unis you just need to show you have something outside of work.
Oxbridge couldn't give a flying ****.
With the top US unis you need amazing grades and literally outstanding ECs.

Well if I am aiming for oxbridge don't bother?
Reply 5
Original post by SPMS
Well if I am aiming for oxbridge don't bother?

You should really do something though. Oxbridge will only be one of your 5 choices.

On that note, for Oxbridge if you have an EC that is directly related to your degree it will help.
Reply 6
Original post by tooosh
You should really do something though. Oxbridge will only be one of your 5 choices.

On that note, for Oxbridge if you have an EC that is directly related to your degree it will help.

So basically I should do something then, even though they 'don't give a flying ****'?
Reply 7
Original post by SPMS
So basically I should do something then, even though they 'don't give a flying ****'?

Yes but for your other 4 choices. Or were you only planning on putting down one choice: Oxbridge?
Reply 8
Original post by tooosh
Yes but for your other 4 choices. Or were you only planning on putting down one choice: Oxbridge?

Down one choice, Oxbridge or nothing. haha
Reply 9
Put it this way: It is in no way going to hinder your application if you do have them, but it might if you don't. So you might as well do at least one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending