The Student Room Group

Why are so many young people happy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Tbh, I'm often depressed, not just cos of the job thing but loads of other things too.

I wish I were happy :emo:

Seriously you need to cheer up, your posts/threads sound so emo. Be thankful for the things you have rather than the things you don't have.

Being sad is pointless, believe me I know. You're only hurting yourself while the world is moving on, so who's feeling bad?

Why do you think those people living in poverty are still smiley/considered one of the happiest people on earth, because they're thankful for what they already have in their lives, they share joy without complaining. And what we we westerns have to complain about, us not getting into uni? not having enough friends? not being pretty enough? We have ALOT to learn from these people.

Life to too short to be feeling sorry for yourself. You'll be 40 before you even blink and don't want to look back on life with regrets due to mourning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzJY96m3lkg
Are you kidding?!!?

Being young (23, in my case) is awesome! I have no kids to worry about, no long-term partner to answer to, I can spend my money on whatever I want, have lots of great sex, I can pack my bags and go halfway around the world tomorrow if I feel like it. This (your 20s) is the best time of your life and this is the greatest time in human history (so far) to be alive, so make the most of it. It's brilliant!

Oh, and I don't rely on the bank of mom and dad. It's called getting a job, it's really not that difficult. I have an English degree, FFS.
OP:

All I can say is misery loves company, but by the looks of it you're not gonna get it! :biggrin:
Reply 43
Because we are the age of Ben and Jerrys and McDonalds.
Reply 44
Original post by Mick Travis
Or, why aren't more young people depressed? Look at the future you are facing. Bad jobs on low pay for the majority, no real security and lots of debt. It amazes me that more youngsters AREN'T miserable. Don't you care? Or are you in denial about all this and relying on the bank of mum and dad?

I wouldn't call myself pessimistic nor optimistic, because I am realistic.
Original post by Miss Understood
Seriously you need to cheer up, your posts/threads sound so emo. Be thankful for the things you have rather than the things you don't have.

Being sad is pointless, believe me I know. You're only hurting yourself while the world is moving on, so who's feeling bad?

Why do you think those people living in poverty are still smiley/considered one of the happiest people on earth, because they're thankful for what they already have in their lives, they share joy without complaining. And what we we westerns have to complain about, us not getting into uni? not having enough friends? not being pretty enough? We have ALOT to learn from these people.

Life to too short to be feeling sorry for yourself. You'll be 40 before you even blink and don't want to look back on life with regrets due to mourning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzJY96m3lkg

Right, so you're telling me to cheer up, yet you also think it's OK to make threads pointing out how unattractive black women apparently are? Bitch please :facepalm2:
Reply 46
Original post by Pink Bullets
Are you kidding?!!?

Being young (23, in my case) is awesome! I have no kids to worry about, no long-term partner to answer to, I can spend my money on whatever I want, have lots of great sex, I can pack my bags and go halfway around the world tomorrow if I feel like it. This (your 20s) is the best time of your life and this is the greatest time in human history (so far) to be alive, so make the most of it. It's brilliant!

Oh, and I don't rely on the bank of mom and dad. It's called getting a job, it's really not that difficult. I have an English degree, FFS.

Have you seen the state of the economy?
You can't really say it's the "greatest time in human history (so far) to be alive" because you cannot compare it to any other time.
Reply 47
Or, why aren't more young people depressed? Look at the future you are facing. Bad jobs on low pay for the majority, no real security and lots of debt. It amazes me that more youngsters AREN'T miserable. Don't you care? Or are you in denial about all this and relying on the bank of mum and dad?

Cos we have alcohol, coffee, nicotine, narcotics and sex, and apparently so much time before we don't consider ourselves part of the 'young people' set.

_Kar.
Original post by SAK.A
Have you seen the state of the economy?
You can't really say it's the "greatest time in human history (so far) to be alive" because you cannot compare it to any other time.

What? Ever heard of recorded history? :/
Reply 49
Lol true OP. Not the depressed part, but I believe a lot of people on this forum have unrealistic expectations of the working world. Especially the CEO 10k/day crowd.
Reply 50
What? Ever heard of recorded history? :/

You said it's the best time to be in your 20's.
Have you tried being in your 20's in the 90's what about the 80's? That's right you can't because you cannot time travel can you? :rolleyes:
Reply 51
I'm far too serious a lot of the time actually.
Original post by SAK.A
You said it's the best time to be in your 20's.
Have you tried being in your 20's in the 90's what about the 80's? That's right you can't because you cannot time travel can you? :rolleyes:

So you're saying it's not possible to research the conditions of a given era and assess whether you would rather be alive then or now?

By your logic, I am also not qualified to say whether it is better to live in England or the Democratic Republic of Congo, since I've never been to the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Cos it would be so brilliant if everyone walked around looking depressed. I mean think of how many things would get done. Pessimism all the way... not.

Optimism can get you through anything. Why get down about something when it might not even happen? Us young people might turn things around actually. Why be miserable?!? That would just be a waste of life ! :smile:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Right, so you're telling me to cheer up, yet you also think it's OK to make threads pointing out how unattractive black women apparently are? Bitch please :facepalm2:

I don't know how you misconstrued it but I didn't say all black women were unattractive, I know some really beautiful lovely black girls, however the majority I know are rude, loud and obnoxious hence why I don't find them unappealing. If were a lot less catty I'd find loads of black girls attractive.

Sorry, just trying to help. If you want to stay depressed for the rest of your life...feel free.

Well I hope I helped a little x
there is always good and bad days thats life !!! u weridooo
Reply 56
So you're saying it's not possible to research the conditions of a given era and assess whether you would rather be alive then or now?

By your logic, I am also not qualified to say whether it is better to live in England or the Democratic Republic of Congo, since I've never been to the Democratic Republic of Congo.

It is possible to research conditions of a given era, but is it possible to know how you would feel if you were living in those conditions, yes you can imagine what it would be like but what you imagine may be completely wrong.

And yes you are not qualified to say whether it is better to live in England or the Democratic republic of Congo.
Original post by SAK.A
It is possible to research conditions of a given era, but is it possible to know how you would feel if you were living in those conditions, yes you can imagine what it would be like but what you imagine may be completely wrong.

And yes you are not qualified to say whether it is better to live in England or the Democratic republic of Congo.

lol
out of all the people I know and am friends with I can't think of one who is genuinely happy all of the time anyway, all of us have some kind of problems no matter how big or small, I don't think any of us can really say we are truly happy.
Reply 59
We only live young once on this earth so were living it to the full

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending