The Student Room Group

why are white people ashamed of their race?

the japanese committed the most evil acts of the 20th century, but they do not berate themselves about it. they move on.

white people on the other hand, like to berate themselves collectively because of the crimes of their elites..........but why is this?

are white people melodramatic and self loathing by nature or are they just idiotic?

Scroll to see replies

What was more evil than the genocide of 6 million jews? I know I am not addressing the point but what did the japanese do that you actually consider more evil than this? They didn't kill 90000 civilians with atom bombs either
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
the nazis killed 13 million in the camps, not 6. the zion centric 6 million is racist against the non jews.

the japanese killed 20 million in china. even the nazis were shaken by the barbarity committed in the 'rape of nanking'
Reply 3
We're taught on a subconcious level not to be proud of our race.

Black pride, Indian pride, pretty much any pride is welcomed, but White pride. Well just saying it makes you think of the likes of the NF and Neo-Nazi's. At some stages we are allowed to be proud of our culture, but again, that's something of a down low compared to how other ethnic minorities are encouraged to be proud of their heritege. Also, due in a small part to the PC nature of our society.

Let's face it, no matter how anyone wants to dress it up, we are subcounciously at least aware of our past with regards to the British Empire, Slavery and the like. I personally see nothing to be ashamed of, I had no part in any of those things. But as a society we feel the need to be apologetic for our great great grandfathers.

I personally feel White Guilt is abhorable, we don't blame Germans for the Nazi's, we don't blame Italians for the Crusades and Inquisitions. We don't blame the Irish for the IRA, we don't blame Japan for what happened during WWII. It's a silly complex, and one I'll have none of.
Original post by humanrights
the japanese committed the most evil acts of the 20th century, but they do not berate themselves about it. they move on.

white people on the other hand, like to berate themselves collectively because of the crimes of their elites..........but why is this?

are white people melodramatic and self loathing by nature or are they just idiotic?

erm, you're generalising?
Reply 5
japanese - Nationality

White - Race

Whats your point here?
Reply 6
I'm proud of what Britain once was, not of the slave trade (to name one thing) but the British Empire was astounding in its own right.
Reply 7
Original post by Steevee

Black pride, Indian pride, pretty much any pride is welcomed, but White pride. Well just saying it makes you think of the likes of the NF and Neo-Nazi's. At some stages we are allowed to be proud of our culture, but again, that's something of a down low compared to how other ethnic minorities are encouraged to be proud of their heritege. Also, due in a small part to the PC nature of our society.

Let's face it, no matter how anyone wants to dress it up, we are subcounciously at least aware of our past with regards to the British Empire, Slavery and the like. I personally see nothing to be ashamed of, I had no part in any of those things. But as a society we feel the need to be apologetic for our great great grandfathers.

I personally feel White Guilt is abhorable, we don't blame Germans for the Nazi's, we don't blame Italians for the Crusades and Inquisitions. We don't blame the Irish for the IRA, we don't blame Japan for what happened during WWII. It's a silly complex, and one I'll have none of.

i agree, except, white people did not invent slavery, but they did abolish it, and the criusades were a reaction islamic agression in the (former) christian world.

white guilt is sinister because it is based on historical fallacies. those who promote it are bigots by nature.

but why do white people feel the need to self flagellate? worse, why do they feel the need to make up fantasy for reasons to self flagellate?
Reply 8
I don't think its necessarily a shame we have of our race. We have done some pretty bad things, though; forget the above examples; the Slave Trade alone is a fairly good one. Done on nothing more then the basis that they were supposedly below us. Then you've got the Conquistadors in South America, the whites in Australia against the Aborigines. The Yugoslav War had racial underpinnings outside the main Nationalist cause. There are a few examples. Granted, it isn't all about the skin-colour, or the apparent views that these people had at the time in which they considered themselves superior.

We don't help ourselves, either really. Our white-pride organisations are characterized by hatred, bigotry and general racism. For example, on the extreme side, there's the KKK and the Polish Neo-Nazi Football Hooligans. On the center line, the EDL, the VP party. And then you've got the BNP who do, whilst attempting to now put restraints on their more controversial views, still do retain some racist ideals.

I'm not necessarily ashamed by our "race" (though, I do dislike the term), but I do feel that we have more to be ashamed about. If that makes any sense. :dontknow:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Because being proud of our race automatically equals white supremacy and the KKK.

Comes with years of conquering other nations and slavery in the past, I guess.

Edit: For anyone else with a brain the size of a peanut, I was being sarcastic.
(edited 12 years ago)
It's called being modest.
I don't feel guilt for what my ancestors did, I don't know anyone who does, it's not like we stood there being unborn and went "yep, good job we are doing here".

I think generally in our culture though we are taught to put others before ourselves and those who don't are branded as "selfish". But then that leads to a lot of pushovers, and a bit of a stigma attached to being proud of being white...
Reply 12
Original post by Crazydavy
I'm proud of what Britain once was, not of the slave trade (to name one thing) but the British Empire was astounding in its own right.

slavery was a bit part in the empire. the slave traders purchased their slaves from african tribal leaders.

slavery weakened the empire, it did not strengthen it.

but, without the empire, slavery would still be in existence today...oh wait, it still is, but at least the empire used its might to abolish it.
Original post by Steevee

I think it's important to add that the reason people encourage things like black pride is because it was once seen as a bad thing to be, being white was never looked down upon, people were proud to be black regardless of what other thought. I think people should be free to be proud of their race etc. but you're suggesting that white people aren't aloud to demonstrate white pride. perhaps the only reason people may think it's strange is because white people over history have never had to overcome AS MUCH discrimination? slavery? colonialism? etc

Nevertheless people should feel free to be proud of being white, black, blue, green etc
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
I happen to love my race and happen to think it's the most beautiful, most perfect race on this planet.

But white people in general are self-hating because they have this idea instilled into them that our culture is wrong and dull and that we must adopt all other cultures on this planet that do not come from white people because white people are evil and you should hate yourself for being white.
Reply 15
Original post by IlexBlue
Because being proud of our race automatically equals white supremacy and the KKK.

Comes with years of conquering other nations and slavery in the past, I guess.

this is racist.

white people abolished slavery.
Reply 16
Original post by Crazydavy

But Britain was the first nation to employ a black man in its military (the Navy) and the British Empire actively put an end to the African slave trade. That's something to be proud of.
Reply 17
Original post by humanrights
i agree, except, white people did not invent slavery, but they did abolish it, and the criusades were a reaction islamic agression in the (former) christian world.

white guilt is sinister because it is based on historical fallacies. those who promote it are bigots by nature.

but why do white people feel the need to self flagellate? worse, why do they feel the need to make up fantasy for reasons to self flagellate?

I agree. It's because we are easy targets. We had our Imperialistic heyday and now we are the cause of all of the worlds problems. It's far easier to blame the white race as a whole than to look at your own shortcomings. Or so it would seem.

I personally think we need to rise above it, we have nothing to be ashamed of. Any atrocity we have comitted has been far outweighed by the good we have done for the world. White guilt is frankly pathetic, and the people that propagate it our apologists and those with agendas. There is no logical grounding for it and thus I oppose it at every turn. Just as I oppose those who would blame the British Empire for damn near every problem ever faced by the Middle East and Africa.
Reply 18
I'm not ashamed nor am I proud of my race. Murdering someone in any circumstance without good reason is something all race, colour and creed have done, history is there for us to learn from.

And as someone pointed out, Japan is a country, not a race so therefore the comparison falls apart right there. However for arguements sake, to say white people are ashamed of their past is being very stereotypical, there are some people in history that stand out for the right reasons, and those that stand out for the wrong reasons. Their race becomes more and more irrelevant as each generation comes and goes.
Reply 19
Original post by BlackVenom321
I think it's important to add that the reason people encourage things like black pride is because it was once seen as a bad thing to be, being white was never looked down upon, people were proud to be black regardless of what other thought. I think people should be free to be proud of their race etc. but you're suggesting that white people aren't aloud to demonstrate white pride. perhaps the only reason people may think it's strange is because white people over history have never had to overcome, discrimination? slavery? colonialism? etc

Nevertheless people should feel free to be proud of being white, black, blue, green etc

this is bigotry of the highest order.

are you not aware of what the arabs did to white people in terms of colonialism and slavery?

( of course, the arab crimes against black people were worse, but white people have still suffered colonialism and slavery.)

btw, africans sold the salves to europeans. so blame africans for slavery, thank white people for abolition.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest