The Student Room Group

Setting up an integral...

Use Green's Theorem to evaluate c.F. dr\displaystyle\int^._c F .\ dr.
F(x,y) = < y-ln(x^2 + y^2) , 2arctan(y/x), C is the circle (x-2)^2 + (y-3)^2 = 1 oriented counterclockwise.

I know how to solve this...I'm just a bit confused about setting up the bounds for the radius...so...disregarding the integral itself (I'll write "--" instead of it), I'm only concerned about the bounds...

So...

02π23\displaystyle\int^{2\pi}_{0} \int^3_2 -- r dr dθ\theta

Are my bounds for the radius correct?...or is it supposed to be...

02π01\displaystyle\int^{2\pi}_{0} \int^1_0 -- r dr dθ\theta ?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
I don't think you can simply ignore "the integral itself".

If you write X = x-2, Y = y-3, then you simply have a circle of radius 1 as in your 2nd integral. But of course you then need to rewrite your integrand F(x,y) in terms of F(X, Y).

(I don't see any way your first integral could make sense - although you could probably find a way if you really wanted to).
Reply 2
Original post by DFranklin
I don't think you can simply ignore "the integral itself".

If you write X = x-2, Y = y-3, then you simply have a circle of radius 1 as in your 2nd integral. But of course you then need to rewrite your integrand F(x,y) in terms of F(X, Y).

(I don't see any way your first integral could make sense - although you could probably find a way if you really wanted to).

This is what I did:

I graphed the circle (x-2)^2 + (y-3)^2 = 1...so the center is at (2,3) and the radius is 1. I think the first integral that I wrote is wrong, because the radius is always 1, even when the origin of the circle is not at (0,0)...the area doesn't change with location...

02π01\displaystyle\int^{2\pi}_{0} \int^1_0 2yy2+x2\frac{-2y}{y^2 + x^2} - (1- 2yy2+x2\frac{2y}{y^2 + x^2}) r dr dθ\theta (because I used Green's theorem)

Because 2yy2+x2\frac{-2y}{y^2 + x^2} and 2yy2+x2\frac{2y}{y^2 + x^2} cancel out, I did not bother converting x and y into cos(theta) and sin(theta)...

02π01\displaystyle\int^{2\pi}_{0} \int^1_0 - r dr dθ\theta...and then I just solved this to get the answer...is my answer correct?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
If the circle is at (2, 3), when θ=0,r=1\theta = 0, r = 1, what are x and y?

Now look at your integral. When θ=0,r=1\theta = 0, r = 1, what are x and y?

Do you see the problem?

Edit: If everything really cancels except 1, then of course it doesn't actually matter what x and y are. Is that actually the case? (At first glance I wouldn't expect it all to cancel, but I could well be wrong - I can't diff things like arctan(y/x) in my head).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
If the circle is at (2, 3), when θ=0,r=1\theta = 0, r = 1, what are x and y?

Now look at your integral. When θ=0,r=1\theta = 0, r = 1, what are x and y?

Do you see the problem?

But why do I need to consider looking at what x and y are...I'm using polar coordinates...yes I think I do see the problem, because the point at θ=0,r=1\theta = 0, r = 1 does not lie on the circle.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Having done some calcs, I think everything does cancel, so you don't actually need to get the values of x and y right.

However, I do hope you realise that if you were, say, wanting to integrate xx over the circle, you would NOT be able to do it by finding

02π01(rsinθ)rdrdθ\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^1 (r \sin \theta) r\, dr\,d\theta, because xrsinθx \neq r \sin \theta when the circle is not at the origin.
Reply 6
Having done some calcs, I think everything does cancel, so you don't actually need to get the values of x and y right.

However, I do hope you realise that if you were, say, wanting to integrate xx over the circle, you would NOT be able to do it by finding

02π01(rsinθ)rdrdθ\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^1 (r \sin \theta) r\, dr\,d\theta, because xrsinθx \neq r \sin \theta when the circle is not at the origin.

Thank you for answering...can you tell me how I could do it if it did involve x? (If you don't mind)
Reply 7
Well, for your circle you have x = 2 + r sin theta, y = 3 + r cos theta (or x = 2 + r cos theta etc. depending on how you're going from (r, theta) to (x, y)).
Reply 8
Well, for your circle you have x = 2 + r sin theta, y = 3 + r cos theta (or x = 2 + r cos theta etc. depending on how you're going from (r, theta) to (x, y)).

So if we look at the original question that I solved...then I would do the exact same thing...I would just write y= 3 + sin theta and x = 2 + cos theta...right? Thank you for answering, your answer was really helpful.
Reply 9
Yes, you're just fortunate that all the x's and y's cancelled so you didn't actually have to worry about it.

Quick Reply

Latest