The Student Room Group

Hate talking about myself?

Is it normal to get really nervous when asked to talk about yourself? Like when people ask 'what do you want to do after uni?' or even something as simple as 'what sort of music do you like?' or 'what sports do you like?'. I feel like I'm being judged and my answer always sounds like i'm acting because i'm trying to think of something to say that sounds right. I think it stems from not really knowing the answers to the questions myself. It's getting quite bad because I am going on a date next week and I'm so nervous about being asked questions about my life!:frown: I'm a girl btw.
Reply 1
yes feels like your bragging haha and you dont want to say the wrong thing. I always try to think of interesting answers and sometimes are not even true
the best way to improve is practice, feeling self conscious sucks, but you can get better :smile:
Reply 3
Not really.

Besides, its always better than talking to yourself...I don't care what the doctor says...these damn voices sound real
It's probably normal, but not exactly great for your self esteem. Try not to be so self-judgemental :smile:
Reply 5
Some people don't like being asked things on the spot as they are more comfortable taking time to develop an answer. Enjoy yourself on your date and be you, let questions come and go. :smile:
Reply 6
I do this, alot!
I kinda know how you feel.

I don't feel nervous about it though, just find patronising questions like about my career plans really, really annoying! I'm not 6 ffs!

I hate going to hairdresser and various places for this reason.

Then again I've got stuff to hide, I don't have any friends, I'm ashamed of this, so I have to just be vague with people I don't know, when they ask about my social life, etc.

Good Luck anyway and chin up!
Reply 8
Original post by Elissabeth

I don't feel nervous about it though, just find patronising questions like about my career plans really, really annoying! I'm not 6 ffs!

:confused:
Original post by Cringe
:confused:

Well, isn't that what you say to a little girl 'What do you want to be when you grow up?'.
Reply 10
Well, isn't that what you say to a little girl 'What do you want to be when you grow up?'.

Yeah but not asking about career plans.
Original post by Cringe
Yeah but not asking about career plans.

It amounts to the same thing.
Reply 12
It amounts to the same thing.

next time someone asks you about your career plans smack them on their face.
Reply 13
Just think, how much would you give a **** if they said something that you didn't agree with, or was a bit silly - you wouldn't make a big deal out of it would you? So don't assume they will either.

It's normal to get nervous over the bigger questions about the future if you don't really know, and people understand this. But with smaller ones like favourite music, or films - just say what you think, you must like something :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Is it normal to get really nervous when asked to talk about yourself? Like when people ask 'what do you want to do after uni?' or even something as simple as 'what sort of music do you like?' or 'what sports do you like?'. I feel like I'm being judged and my answer always sounds like i'm acting because i'm trying to think of something to say that sounds right. I think it stems from not really knowing the answers to the questions myself. It's getting quite bad because I am going on a date next week and I'm so nervous about being asked questions about my life!:frown: I'm a girl btw.

key point bolded.

find something you enjoy doing (preferably something you're good at too, but the key thing is enjoying it) and go do it.

the experience of actually trying to try and take part in something will help - even if they are disastrous. You can have funny stories about how something didn't work out.

But when you do find something, you'll almost certainly meet like minded people to discuss it with, and if not you still have something to talk about when asked what you do.

if you find something you're good at the feeling of confidence just permeates your life and effects other things too. even if you're not very good simply improving will help a lot to. You'll feel better about yourself and talking about yourself then becomes easier.
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous

I think just doing it a lot will eventually help you over it. I know it's probably not the nicest remedy but I think it is also a matter of getting used to it.

Don't worry to much, most people who ask such questions like what do you want to do after uni or something are just genuinly interested and not there to judge you.

Perhaps talk to close friends and family to sort of get used to the whole idea of getting asked loads of questions ^^
I love talking about myself. Hell, I just plain love myself :suith:

I'm not the best person to talk to, clearly :awesome:

If you don't "know" that much about yourself, then spend a couple of days going on a journey of self-discovery, it'll help greatly I'd imagine.
Can't understand why you would feel that way. Every time you are being asked something is a huge chance to say something smart and impress people. Just sitting quiet in the corner won't get you anywhere in life.
Reply 18
I hate it when I go to a job interview and the first question they ask is 'Tell me about yourself' and all I can think is 'You stupid twunt! Why did you have to ask me that?! WHY!' but just say 'Well...er...I am very [string off a load of personality traits I pretend to have that look rather impressive but aren't completely untrue so I don't get caught out later on if I get the job]'

Yeah. :colonhash:
Reply 19
Thankyou everyone for your replies, it's kind of been put into perspective for me now! It is true I need to stop worrying what people think :smile: easier said than done but maybe after some practise it'll get better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending