The Student Room Group

The Pill

I'm considering going on the pill before I go to university, and I was just wondering when I should go for it.
Told my mother about it the other day and then (of course) there was the awkward silence.. so I changed the subject. I could tell she didn't want to talk about it but I thought I should ask someone.
I heard that the pill can give you horrendous mood swings and I don't want to meet everyone in September with me feeling depressed and crying :tongue:
Any advice is reeeeally welcome :smile:
Reply 1
From personal experience, I haven't suffered any side effects and have never really heard of anyone on the pill having bad mood swings. I actually think it helped me a little with the PMS mood swings I was already having anyway.

The pill can affect your body in a number of ways and affect people with differently; saying that, there are a lot of different types of pills out there to try so even if one didn't 'suit' you, you could always try another. In the end, its whether you think it might be worth the possibility of all that for the benefits. You could try it out for a month, see how it goes... Doesn't work out, just stop them?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
My girlfriend started going on the pill around 1 and a half months ago - and at first she had side effects which she really didn't like... bigger boobs (I loved it anyways :biggrin: but very sore and tender aswell), and a bit of weight gain too apparently. However they've worn off now and it seems fine. So I'd advise you take it sooner rather than later.... you don't want to take it just before uni and have all these bad side effects (they don't happen with everyone remember) kick in.
To be fair, I was on the pill. You gain weight, it messes up your periods and most of the time you forget to take them anyway. If you can keep up with it its fine but it only starts to work after two weeks of taking them. And also if you have to take anti biotics the pill doesn't work apparantly which I never knew.

Only my experience, may as well give it a go you'll prob be fine. With the mood swing thing I'm not sure, even off the pill I get them anyway ahaa
Reply 4
Original post by Ben F
My girlfriend started going on the pill around 1 and a half months ago - and at first she had side effects which she really didn't like... bigger boobs (I loved it anyways :biggrin: but very sore and tender aswell), and a bit of weight gain too apparently. However they've worn off now and it seems fine. So I'd advise you take it sooner rather than later.... you don't want to take it just before uni and have all these bad side effects (they don't happen with everyone remember) kick in.

The pill doesn't directly make you gain weight, but it can change your mood to give you more cravings.

Provided you don't give into these cravings and continue to exercise, the pill won't cause you to gain weight - it's a lifestyle choice.

Too tired right now to quote the source I read this on but will do tomorrow. Goodnight all, and OP certainly have a chat with your GP who will advise you about the best pill for you.

You will have your blood pressure and weight taken to see if there are any problems, but most people can happily and normally take the pill. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Ben F

Yeah the boob thing is true, that's an incentive in itself to take it!
Original post by gallivandalf
You gain weight, it messes up your periods and most of the time you forget to take them anyway.

1. The pill doesn't make you gain weight. For some people, it increases their appetite. Most of the time people start taking the pill at a time when they are likely to gain weight as a result of getting older, and they blame their weight gain on the pill.

2. I have no idea what you mean by this. The pill makes your periods come at the same time every month, for many people it makes them shorter, lighter and less painful, and makes it possible to control when you have them.

3. Most people are perfectly capable of remembering to take a pill every day. :s-smilie:
Again, I illiterated that it was my 'personal experience.' I did not say it was a matter of fact. And you contradict yourself anyway. You say it does not make you gain weight but then you say it increases appetite? Maybe a result then being you gain weight perhaps?
:borat:

After my gf went on it, I actually looked up the inventor of the modern pill and I now, on this forum, prostrate myself before him:

God Bless you Carl Djerassi, you are truly a hero amongst men.

Again, I illiterated that it was my 'personal experience.' I did not say it was a matter of fact. And you contradict yourself anyway. You say it does not make you gain weight but then you say it increases appetite? Maybe a result then being you gain weight perhaps?

That is not a contradiction. :s-smilie: I said it increases some people's appetite. An increased appetite doesn't automatically lead to weight gain. Eating more without exercising more to make up for it does. You are in complete control of whether that happens.

And I've got to ask... "illiterated"? Is that the past tense of a new verb meaning "to be illiterate"?
(edited 13 years ago)
Personal experience - went up a cup size, and cleared up my skin completely! As soon as you've got the hang of remembering to take it every day, it's great :smile: I'd definitely say at least give it a go, although remember there are many different types of pill, so obviously the effects will differ depending on what you get prescribed. I'm on microgynon, and don't have a bad word to say about it :biggrin:
Original post by Pink Bullets
That is not a contradiction. :s-smilie: I said it increases some people's appetite. An increased appetite doesn't automatically lead to weight gain. Eating more without exercising more to make up for it does. You are in complete control of whether that happens.

And I've got to ask... "illiterated"? Is that the past tense of a new verb meaning "to be illiterate"?

To be fair, on the information that you get with the pill it says one of the side effects is weight gain. And also, I cba to get into an argument about my use of improper grammar and tenses. And yeah 'illiterated,' why not like
To be fair, on the information that you get with the pill it says one of the side effects is weight gain. And also, I cba to get into an argument about my use of improper grammar and tenses. And yeah 'illiterated,' why not like

Because it's not a word. This isn't a discussion about grammar and tenses; I was pointing out that fact that you seemingly made up a new word. I couldn't figure out where it came from or its meaning, so I thought I'd inquire... hope that's okay with you.
Because it's not a word. This isn't a discussion about grammar and tenses; I was pointing out that fact that you seemingly made up a new word. I couldn't figure out where it came from or its meaning, so I thought I'd inquire... hope that's okay with you.

I made up a new word! Banging! Fine by me love, inquire as you will
1. The pill doesn't make you gain weight. For some people, it increases their appetite. Most of the time people start taking the pill at a time when they are likely to gain weight as a result of getting older, and they blame their weight gain on the pill.

2. I have no idea what you mean by this. The pill makes your periods come at the same time every month, for many people it makes them shorter, lighter and less painful, and makes it possible to control when you have them.

3. Most people are perfectly capable of remembering to take a pill every day. :s-smilie:

To be fair, I was on the pill. You gain weight, it messes up your periods and most of the time you forget to take them anyway. If you can keep up with it its fine but it only starts to work after two weeks of taking them. And also if you have to take anti biotics the pill doesn't work apparantly which I never knew.

Only my experience, may as well give it a go you'll prob be fine. With the mood swing thing I'm not sure, even off the pill I get them anyway ahaa

Well the reason you had an unusual experience was because you failed to take the prescribed medication properly...

That is exactly what she is saying, it doesn't directly cause weight gain, but can increase your appetite. It's you eating more that makes you fat, not you taking the pill. There is a difference subtle though it may be. The drug company would probably put weight gain as a side effect to a) save their own arses and b) because it has been reported as a side effect.

tumm tee tumm Oh yeah and illiterated is not a word, iterated is though.
Original post by rainbowbex
Well the reason you had an unusual experience was because you failed to take the prescribed medication properly...

That is exactly what she is saying, it doesn't directly cause weight gain, but can increase your appetite. It's you eating more that makes you fat, not you taking the pill. There is a difference subtle though it may be. The drug company would probably put weight gain as a side effect to a) save their own arses and b) because it has been reported as a side effect.

tumm tee tumm Oh yeah and illiterated is not a word, iterated is though.

Fair play right, why does it get so serious on here? I made an opinion with incorrect words. An wa?

When I started taking the pill I was underweight at 7 stone.

2 years of increased appetite later and I weighed 10 stone.

1 year of the copper coil and horrendous periods, terrible cramps and weighing just under 9 stone.

For me increased appetite definitely led to substantial weight gain (before contraception I ONLY ate when I was hungry, nothing really changed except I was hungry alllll the time).

God, I hate all contraception.

Ps OP; my cupsize didn't increase by even a half size. Lucky me ended up with all my weight on my legs. Sexy.

And why do you want to start the pill before uni?
Original post by Hello Laura!
When I started taking the pill I was underweight at 7 stone.

2 years of increased appetite later and I weighed 10 stone.

1 year of the copper coil and horrendous periods, terrible cramps and weighing just under 9 stone.

For me increased appetite definitely led to substantial weight gain (before contraception I ONLY ate when I was hungry, nothing really changed except I was hungry alllll the time).

God, I hate all contraception.

Ps OP; my cupsize didn't increase by even a half size. Lucky me ended up with all my weight on my legs. Sexy.

And why do you want to start the pill before uni?

Yeah that was my point. I would've thought an increased appetite could make you gain weight :s-smilie:

However, I will have to clarify that this is an opinion as some people on here may confuse this with fact*
Reply 18
Original post by JunoBug
From personal experience, I haven't suffered any side effects and have never really heard of anyone on the pill having bad mood swings. I actually think it helped me a little with the PMS mood swings I was already having anyway.

The pill can affect your body in a number of ways and affect people with differently; saying that, there are a lot of different types of pills out there to try so even if one didn't 'suit' you, you could always try another. In the end, its whether you think it might be worth the possibility of all that for the benefits. You could try it out for a month, see how it goes... Doesn't work out, just stop them?

Start taking it this month.
You have 5 months till September it only takes 3 months to work out if the pill is ok for you so that will give you enough time to work out if it is right for you.

Some people get bad side effects from the pill but most people get none after the first three months.
The best person to talk about this stuff with is you GP or local sexual health clinic. They will be able to give you all the correct advice you are looking for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending