How to people cope with being on dole?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
For most it isn't a choice there just isn't work out there
Original post by SayonaraSamm
Watch the Jeremy Kyle show.

Realise your life could be worse.

Repeat.

That's how I got over my ex lol... thank **** ITV2 show it in the early hours of the morning lol
Reply 22
Original post by Fragile_Illusions
You want to work and be totally independant; people who live off unemployment benefit (for extended periods of time) don't want to work and so compromise other aspects of their life to fit that.

I know a few people who have been on the dole for "extended periods" and believe me now they would give there right arm for work there just isn't any. I also know highly qualified people who are having in work in low paid dead end jobs because of the job market.
Reply 23
Original post by ppp
I know a few people who have been on the dole for "extended periods" and believe me now they would give there right arm for work there just isn't any. I also know highly qualified people who are having in work in low paid dead end jobs because of the job market.

I got no chance then. I think i've decent experience and qualifications for a 23 year old
Reply 24
Being on the dole is incredibly depressing, and most family members I've known who were on it just gave up - they started off applying for every job within a 50 mile radius, quite honestly, and spending the days going into every business they could walk to, talking to managers, handing out CVs, doing as well as they could on interviews... and got rejected every time. This takes its toll. To be honest, if you manage to live with the permanent rejection and the feelings of isolation from society, you're doing better than most - it's an awful and depressing situation to be in.

The only thing you can do, I guess, is try and make the most of it. Instead of getting up at noon and watching daytime TV, try and make yourself a schedule for the free time, and make yourself stick to it - go jogging, go to your local library and get out self-teaching books for a new language, see if you can get any volunteering work locally. It's not a good place to be in at all, but if you can use it to help your CV even a tiny bit, it'll not be quite as much of a waste of time.
Reply 25
Do what I didn't, and use the time to learn a new skill. Free time does **** with your head, but it's OK if you are able to set yourself goals! Unfortunately I'm really bad at this: I'd love to learn guitar, but can't bring myself to care enough.

Just develop skills; when you have a full-time job, there's really no time - hell, even uni is difficult enough!! Pick a skill, force yourself to practise at the same time every day for three weeks. Then you will form a habit and you won't have to think about it. You'll be being very productive and that's a lovely feeling.

You just have to want it enough and really get obsessed. The only issue is start-up money, but you must be young; I'm sure parents would happily buy you a cheap, well, let's say guitar - whatever tools of the trade you need.

Or you could even start your own small-time business - I dunno, sell pirated games or drugs or whatever to year sevens, or babysit, or wash people's cars or tend their gardens. Or sell some stuff you own. Or learn to eBay. All activities can be turned into things that return two types of profit:
- financial
- psychological.

The worst thing is doing nothing - no financial gain, and psychological depletion.

REALLY stuck/no drive/no talents? Keep a dream diary. There is always SOMETHING in your life you can do stuff with.
(edited 13 years ago)
In answer to your question, it's been quite the chance for personal development. I've never bought so many second hand books and read so much in my life. I'm actually starting to take an interest in politics and work out where my views actually place me in the grand scheme of it all. Oh, and a lot of procrastination and lurking of TSR helps while away the time. I've sort of got used to saying 'no' to going out with friends every weekend. Friends who, annoyingly, don't seem to realize that unemployment means not being able to go out and spending what little money you have on cider and shots, and they act as though this is a great surprise to them when they ask 'What do you mean you've got no money?'. :rolleyes:
Reply 27
I think i'm going to have little think about I can use my time productively. Has anyone got any "out the box" ideas on how to get a job. I check the job centre website daily, along with the jobsites i've got my c.v uploaded to. I keep ringing agencies that suites my skills and experience and keep checking companies websites like Asda, Tesco, Matalan and tons of others
Reply 28
Original post by IGX_RSV2
Was like that for 10 months. Finally got a job but then company died 6 months later! So I've been without a job now for nearly 5 months. Received rejections letters from Mcdonalds, Lidl, Asda and an admin job today.. fun times..

hahahahahaha you were trolling on me telling me to have fun on job seekers while you were bragging about your experience and how you were setting up your own company and now i read your on the dole, im glad my life is so much better financially compared to yours, im studying, working part time and even gauranteed a job when i finish my degree, karmas a b!tch
Original post by TheCasual
I think i'm going to have little think about I can use my time productively. Has anyone got any "out the box" ideas on how to get a job. I check the job centre website daily, along with the jobsites i've got my c.v uploaded to. I keep ringing agencies that suites my skills and experience and keep checking companies websites like Asda, Tesco, Matalan and tons of others

Have you graduated yet? If not, then why don't you try getting bar/restaurant work? While I was studying I did some bar work, which was pretty easy to get. If you've already graduated, have you thought about working abroad for a while? When I graduated I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do in life. I was surfing the net one day and came across a job advert for an English teacher in South Korea. I thought that looked interesting, being able to live/work abroad and get some life experience. I did my TESOL (a teaching qualification) and eventually went to Japan. I only meant to stay a year but loved it so much that I'm still here!

I'd highly recommend working abroad to anyone (especially if you can't find work in the UK). It's easy to get a job as an English teacher if you have a degree and it's a fantastic experience. You can travel and learn a new language. I can now speak some Japanese and am learning a little Hindi too. After working abroad you can return to the UK with foreign experience and a language under your belt. You'll then have a much better chance of getting a job in the UK. :biggrin:
Find a friend who has a property to rent, move in and claim housing benefit of £4000/m, then split it 50/50 with him.
Tough to say exactly, depends on how flamboyant you are with cash really.

I am talking on a psycological level as you will either focus on things you cant afford and be depressed, live off next to nothing and be ok, go shopping for bargains and get more and better food than paying full price when working etc.

For the social side, you dont have to go out almost every night in fact that is a dull life as its so predictable so if you only go out once a week its more fun.
Original post by ppp

Meh, our definitions of long term are probably different. If you're willing to work, you won't be on the dole long term (1+ year)
Recently I left a part-time job for a job with agency. The agency laid me off after two weeks. Since then i've been applying for every job possible. Even got rejected from McDonalds. All this spare time is starting to screw with my head and fact that all my mates are going out ever weekend makes 10 times worse. I just don't know how people cope :frown:

you just need to do something more constructive with your time. Best thing to do is sport, it will use up alot of time & energy and keep you mentally fit as well as physically fit.

Because your on the dole, team sports wouldn't be the best option as most your friends will probably be in work/school/uni. So look for an individual sport.

Combat Sports:
Boxing
MMA
Any of the Martial Arts

Exterme Sports: (Depending on where you live)
Surfing
Rock Cllimbing
Mountain Biking
Skateboarding

Athletics:
Pretty Much All of the track and field

Team Sports:
If your already in a football/rudgby etc team, why not just head to your pitch to practise each day.
Reply 34
Original post by jus2sik
hahahahahaha you were trolling on me telling me to have fun on job seekers while you were bragging about your experience and how you were setting up your own company and now i read your on the dole, im glad my life is so much better financially compared to yours, im studying, working part time and even gauranteed a job when i finish my degree, karmas a b!tch

Erm, yeah.. I am..... We're just advertising our services now..... Oh, wasn't the army making cuts?

Grow up kid.

Oh and:

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by IGX_RSV2
Erm, yeah.. I am..... We're just advertising our services now..... Oh, wasn't the army making cuts?

Grow up kid.

Oh and:

Spoiler

r u telling me your selling yourself on the street? I already signed my contract and they are paying all my fees, so if they do decide to go back on that ive had some free money :wink:
I got no chance then. I think i've decent experience and qualifications for a 23 year old

What experience and qualifications do you have out of interest?
Reply 37
Original post by Maybe Tomorrow
What experience and qualifications do you have out of interest?

I have a NVQ 1, 2, 3 in Mechanical Engineering, City & Guilds 6983 and GSCS's mostly All C's. I've had 4 years as a section head in a Cash and Carry/Warehouse and now i'm working through a agency at A Aerosol Factory.

Its quite ironic because i've had two night shifts this week :smile:
Reply 38
I have a NVQ 1, 2, 3 in Mechanical Engineering, City & Guilds 6983 and GSCS's mostly All C's. I've had 4 years as a section head in a Cash and Carry/Warehouse and now i'm working through a agency at A Aerosol Factory.

Its quite ironic because i've had two night shifts this week :smile:

So you do have a job? making this whole thread redundant...
Reply 39
Original post by fwed1
So you do have a job? making this whole thread redundant...

I'm registered with a agency, before these two shifts my last shift was the 28th February

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending