The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Eplkid
Job .. Maybe not .. but I am more than willing to put a tenner on me being right :-)

I raise £1000000.
Reply 81
Original post by Oatcake
Why the hell are you multiplying out the brackets...? This is not an 'expand' question. You complete the function that is WITHIN the brackets - following BODMAS (BIDMAS).

48/2(9+3)
Google it as written (Exact to the question).

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=48%2F2(9%2B3)

The answer is 288

/thread.

Okay according to you.. without multiplying out the brackets.

48÷2(9+3)
= 48 ÷ 2(12)
= 24 x 12
= 288

damn you .. now m confused! :P

Anyways according to what i was taught .. solve the brackets first .. so in short solve 2(9+3) = 24

n then 48 ÷ 24 = 2 !!!!

I raise £1000000.

ahahah .. I fold.

According to this - BODMAS

48÷2(9+3)

= 48 ÷ 2 (12)
= 24 (12)
= 288

Not happy to been proved wrong .. but ..
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by Eplkid
Okay according to you.. without multiplying out the brackets.

48÷2(9+3)
= 48 ÷ 2(12)
= 24 x 12
= 288

damn you .. now m confused! :P

Anyways according to what i was taught .. solve the brackets first .. so in short solve 2(9+3) = 24

n then 48 ÷ 24 = 2 !!!!

You will have been taught to multiply out the brackets, but not on this sort of question.

On ones like this (order of operations), you just complete the sum within the brackets.

Thus giving an answer of 288 :smile:

P.S. Good fold on the £1000000, and I'll be generous and not hunt you down for the tenner :wink:
Even calculators are confused ...

Reply 84
Kmt this is SIMPLE maths. You go from right to left because you do brackets first IN EVERY MATHEMATICAL EQUATION. google got it WRONG because it does it in the order it sees it is up to the person calculating it to understand that the bracket function is done first. so: 2(9+3) = 24. FIRST STAGE.
48/24 = 2 SECOND STAGE

the order of every single mathematical equation is given by the laws of BODMAS OR BIDMAS

Brackets Over division multiplication addition subtraction IN THAT ORDER
or
Brackets Indices division multiplication addiction subtraction IN THAT ORDER (when indices are present) its not 288, this question isnt debatable :s-smilie:
Reply 85
Original post by Oatcake

P.S. Good fold on the £1000000, and I'll be generous and not hunt you down for the tenner :wink:

ahaha .. il use the tenner towards Stoke's men to win on Sunday, 8 May 2011. :P ..

Good Day.
Reply 86
Original post by Prince of Zamunda

Mind tapping in the numbers as it is in all 3 calculators simultaneously n showing us the results ? .. type it in exactly same in all 3 Calculators.
The answer is 288.

Your brain thinks that the answer is 2 because 48/2(3+9) makes the 2(3+9) look "grouped together" and hence bracketed even though it is no more bracketed than the rest of the expression. (I admit that my instant reaction to this was 2 and only when I thought about it further did I realise I was wrong).
Reply 88
Original post by Eplkid
ahaha .. il use the tenner towards Stoke's men to win on Sunday, 8 May 2011. :P ..

Good Day.

Good call, I shall be attending and doing my bit at The Brit :tongue:
Stoke 2-1 Arsenal :wink:
Reply 89

also look at the calculator screens the ones with 288 have a multiplication sign before the brackets which defeats the flippin purpose it rearranges bodmas completely man
Reply 90
Original post by Oatcake
Good call, I shall be attending and doing my bit at The Brit :tongue:
Stoke 2-1 Arsenal :wink:

Que a banner saying "If not the answer to get points at Stoke then maybe the answer to 48÷2(9+3) = .. Professor ?" :tongue: :biggrin: :cool:
Original post by Eplkid
Mind tapping in the numbers as it is in all 3 calculators simultaneously n showing us the results ? .. type it in exactly same in all 3 Calculators.

It's only two calculators. Top 2 are the same calculator (Casio) and third is Texas Instruments. The top Casio was typed in the same way as the top line of the Texas one, and the second line Casio the second line of the Texas one.
Reply 92
It's only two calculators. Top 2 are the same calculator (Casio) and third is Texas Instruments. The top Casio was typed in the same way as the top line of the Texas one, and the second line Casio the second line of the Texas one.

Yeah sorry man .. figured it out right after i hit submit reply.
Reply 93
I don't think there has been a thread more suited to this pic:

Original post by Simplicity
Sorry, but some people at the Maths computer cluster was arguing about this.

I say it's 2.

How curious, this came up on /b/ very recently too....
u guys need go back resit gcse math foundation!!
There's nothing abiguous about it. The 'brackets' bit of BIDMAS says that you need to do everything related to the brackets. Adding 9+3 then multiplying it all by two. Only then do you do the division.

48/2(9+3) =
48/2(12) = <----- This is still the 'brackets bit of BIDMAS
48/24 =

Calculators don't always do stuff like that right. Haven't your teachers ever told you not to use a calculator until you can't do it in your head?

And there are no 'implied brackets around 48/2. If they question meant that it would be (48/2).
Reply 97
288 is right following BODMAS at least.

You calculate from left to right always, neither division nor multiplication have precedence over each other ( in this case you divide first and then multiply ).
48÷2(9+3)
48÷2x12
24x12 = 288
Reply 98
To save any confusion it should be written like:

482(9+3)\frac{48}{2(9+3)} or 482(9+3)\frac{48}{2}(9+3)
Reply 99
I got 288.

Latest