The Student Room Group

i want to be insomnic!

Okay, i know it sounds crazy but hear me out:smile:

I think sleep is such as waste of time! the amount of things i could be doing instead of sleeping is crazy!

Any tips on how to stay up till really late everyday and still feel okay the next day??

Scroll to see replies

---
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Going by fight club doesn't it just end up feeling like you are in a dream the whole time? I stayed up for 4 days once and reality and fiction began to blur
Reply 3
it's horrific. if you do get it, you deserve all the misery you asked for.
Reply 4
this is stupid. wanting to be an insomniac is idiotic. going without sleep for long periods of time is painful.
Reply 5
I went to a London church once (broadcast on television) and stayed over for 2.5 days, hardly got any sleep though as most of the time was spent praying, so after the 2.5 days were up and I was heading back into west minister near London eye and Big Ben to catch the coach home I could hardly do anything, I felt like I were sleepwalking
Reply 6
Its not a good thing. The whole point is though you may not sleep the human body still gets tired.

Do some research into sleeping patterns however. I used to do one (cant remember what it is called) and you sleep for 20 mins every 4 hours. The first three weeks were awful but after that I could fall asleep anywhere and I didnt need alarms or anything.

Of course that was last summmer. I prefer my 12 hours over 2 :P
Reply 7
Original post by wactm
Its not a good thing. The whole point is though you may not sleep the human body still gets tired.

Do some research into sleeping patterns however. I used to do one (cant remember what it is called) and you sleep for 20 mins every 4 hours. The first three weeks were awful but after that I could fall asleep anywhere and I didnt need alarms or anything.

Of course that was last summmer. I prefer my 12 hours over 2 :P

Yeah i have done some research into this! its called the Davinci something right? woow, ive always wanted to meet someone who has done this? so it actully worked for you then?
the only thing is im at college so if i needed to have my power nap it wouldnt be as easy!
and oww gosh, i bet those first weeks were terrible rightt?
Reply 8
Original post by Aj12
Going by fight club doesn't it just end up feeling like you are in a dream the whole time? I stayed up for 4 days once and reality and fiction began to blur

That bad?
Reply 9
Original post by Caprisun!
I see you're well prepared for med school then.

Id like to think so:smile:
Insomnia = wanting to sleep but not being able to. On the rare occasions where I'm shattered but can't sleep I feel so so so ****. I feel awful for insomniacs! Just sleep at 11/12, get up at 7/8 and you'll get all your work done plus feel much much better.
Reply 11
You have no idea what you're letting yourself in for...
Reply 12
Don't do it. Even if you load yourself up with caffeine and stimulants, you're still likely too tired to do anything properly and this is why I avoid all-nighters these days - what's the point if you're just too tired to properly complete what you stayed up for? No point in pushing on if you're literally drifting in and out of consciousness at your desk and achieve nothing.

You're better off getting a decent night's sleep and waking up early. You can easily do a 14 hour day of work and that should be more than enough for anyone? :dontknow:
(edited 13 years ago)
Insomnia is painful, I really don't think you'll be feeling ''okay the next day'' or any other day, sleep is really important and yes it would be 'fun' to not have to, but we do, and there's a tonne of repercussions if we don't.
Reply 14
I don't think insomniacs feel great the next day...
Proper insomnia's a nightmare. After a few days of it you're so tired you can barely think, so it's almost impossible to do anything productive. You'd be far better off getting seven or eight hours of sleep a night and feeling properly awake during the day. There are some people like Margaret Thatcher who are just naturally able to get by on less sleep, but if you're not like that already then it's pretty unlikely that you'll ever be able to get by on so little sleep and still be able to function normally.
Reply 16
Yeah being awake doesn't mean you're being productive, information doesn't stick and you can't hold a train of thought long enough to type 5 coherent words in a row imo.
insomnia will drive you crazy , if you were to get it even at you tiredest when you want to sleep , you would not be able to.
so please , don't wish this upon yourself.
Reply 18
Probably one of the stupides things I've heard in a while. It's really hard to be an insomniac, the day after an all-nighter is usually fine, but when you get a couple hours of sleep the next day at the most and then progressively more before once more hitting rock-bottom is really hard and confusing. You feel like crap every morning when you see the sun come up and realise you'er in for another crappy week and there's nothing you can really do about it except sleeping pills...
Reply 19
Original post by MedicSoon!
Yeah i have done some research into this! its called the Davinci something right? woow, ive always wanted to meet someone who has done this? so it actully worked for you then?
the only thing is im at college so if i needed to have my power nap it wouldnt be as easy!
and oww gosh, i bet those first weeks were terrible rightt?

It did really work but my college timetable made it impossible. The first weeks were the worst, I've never felt so drained but afterwards it was great, I had so much free time it was incredible.

Im going to be starting it again this summer and hopefully continue through Uni if I can :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest