The Student Room Group

TSR Turkish Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OceanSoul
I would consider Turks and Turkish Cypriots different.

Likewise, I would consider people from Balikesir as very different to people from north Sivas, ethnically, culturally, and to a lesser extent, linguistically. But what's your point. That every single minuscule province should become its own country since no two groups of people are the same?
Reply 341
Original post by RamocitoMorales
Likewise, I would consider people from Balikesir as very different to people from north Sivas, ethnically, culturally, and to a lesser extent, linguistically. But what's your point. That every single minuscule province should become its own country since no two groups of people are the same?

But they can consider themselves mainland Turks, and Turkish Cypriots consider themselves Cypriots. I mean, okay, I get the point, there's no 'pure' blood - I agree with that; but you still need to have a name for a group of people. And I don't agree that Turkish Cypriots can say they 'belong' to Turkey (as people, not area).
Original post by Zebracolors
Errors in the Cypruss Policy-Ahmet Nuri Yurdusev

There is a news website I read which is actually a Turkish news site, but offers the news in English. Its called Today's Zaman. I came across this article about what is just an opinion of the author, about the "Cypruss Policy"(?) posted today, so maybe something related to what the current discussion is. degil mi?

I read the article and now understand some of the concerns here if its on the same track. Looks like something was going down?:s-smilie: I wanted to share but also say I kind of agree about one of the points of the article, about changing the priority of the 3 parameters outlined in the policy, though I am not sure if my opinion would count there as I am just a foreigner.

Does that make me pro or anti ?:confused: Do you think it should be re-ordered?

I'm not sure I quite understood the article. Is it saying that Turkey should stress that it is interested in Cyprus due to humanitarian reasons rather than reasons related to an over emphasis to Cyprus' geographical and strategic importance to Turkey? I'm not really sure how to comment on the article. One of the comments to the article pretty much already said what was on my mind with:

If you had listened to Erdogan's statements more attentively, you would have noticed that he did stress humanitarian values. He said unequivocally that the 1974 Peace Operation was done to liberate Cyprus and to save Turkish Cypriots from the Enosis, Akritas, and Iphestos genocide plans and rescue us from Greek Cypriot opression. He also said that Turkish people gave their blood to save the lives of Cyprus Turks.
Turkish News

"Nicolas Sarkozy in gum fight with Turkish mayor."
Relations between France and Turkey suffered a minty-fresh setback as Nicolas Sarkozy and the mayor of Ankara engaged in a ‘gum war’.

The French president was accused of chewing gum ‘offensively’ as he arrived on a visit to the Turkish capital.

When he left several hours later, city mayor Melih Gokcek returned the gesture, chewing openly as he saw the president off.

‘Sarkozy came down the steps of his plane chewing a wad of gum,’ said Mr Gokcek. ‘He stopped for a moment, looked around and continued to chew. I was offended.

‘Previously, he showed similar disrespect to our president Abdullah Gul in France.

‘So when we were seeing him off, I never took out the chewing gum from my mouth. Someone had to respond.’

Mr Sarkozy, who has angered Turkey by opposing its entry to the EU, declined to comment on Friday’s incident.

Source.

Nicolas Sarkozy's face in that photo should become an internet meme.
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
Turkish News

"Nicolas Sarkozy in gum fight with Turkish mayor."
Relations between France and Turkey suffered a minty-fresh setback as Nicolas Sarkozy and the mayor of Ankara engaged in a ‘gum war’.

Nicolas Sarkozy's face in that photo should become an internet meme.

Did someone say meme!?:biggrin:

/Sorry I could not resist. Its all in fun, no offense to the French or their president.
Original post by Zebracolors
Did someone say meme!?:biggrin:

/Sorry I could not resist. Its all in fun, no offense to the French or their president.

http://img695.imageshack.us/i/almvgc1298982388.jpg/
Alright so Trabzon beat Besiktas 2-1 (last minute Burak goal), GS drew 0-0 with Karabuk. Fener still has to play tommorow vs Genclerbirligi, its an interesting title race this year if I had to pick a champion I'd say Trabzonspor. Primarily because of two reasons Trabzon haven't won a championship since the 80s, furthermore it'd show that the league isn't just about the Istanbul based teams anymore.

Two champions outside of Istanbul two years in a row, would be immense for this league.
Original post by ChaoticSkills
Alright so Trabzon beat Besiktas 2-1 (last minute Burak goal), GS drew 0-0 with Karabuk. Fener still has to play tommorow vs Genclerbirligi, its an interesting title race this year if I had to pick a champion I'd say Trabzonspor. Primarily because of two reasons Trabzon haven't won a championship since the 80s, furthermore it'd show that the league isn't just about the Istanbul based teams anymore.

Two champions outside of Istanbul two years in a row, would be immense for this league.

I know. :wink2: Tough luck to Fener as well seeing as Trabzon is their real competion.
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
I know. :wink2: Tough luck to Fener as well seeing as Trabzon is their real competion.

They beat TS last month 2-0, Fener look unstoppable at the moment. Genclerbirligi are one of those sly teams who can cause all sorts of headaches for bigger teams.I hope thats the case tommorow :wink:
Fener won >.< looks like they're back on top,for another week. Niangs such a good player, no wonder they ended up paying 7m for him he was the top goal scorer of the French league after all.
Reply 350
I'm here, too LOL
Beyler kahve ortam?na dönü?türmü?üz sayfay? :biggrin: LOL maçlar felan.. :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Egos
I'm here, too LOL
Beyler kahve ortam?na dönü?türmü?üz sayfay? :biggrin: LOL maçlar felan.. :biggrin:

What about the bayanlar? :cry2:
Reply 352
Hello,
I am here :smile:turkish as well so I'm not coming from Turkey, Im just from the oder neighbours from Bulgaria :smile:..Iam a little bit disappointed I know here in the UK there are too many turks ...
Merhaba Mimi :smile:

And well it seems official as of this moment. The UN Security council voted in favor of setting up a no-fly zone over Lybia.

Source; Al Jazeera. Watching the live coverage of it just now and different countries are speaking their countries rationale for voting in favor. Though I saw some countries were opposed in the voting which was broadcast live. And US voted in favor as well.:s-smilie:

People in Benghazi seem pleased. But I am confused because I thought they didn't want foreign intervention.:confused:
Reply 354
Well, the world took to completely crazy in recent years, as we go to think .. I don't want to dive to analyze everything that happens.. but it does not lead us to a brighter future for sure, so I am afraid for humanity .. and if there was only the one only problem Libya :frown:.. there it is clear that Gaddafi is fated ..
Reply 355
slm millet,
my first message in this topic, didnt know TSR had a turkish topic :P
Original post by spookytan
slm millet,
my first message in this topic, didnt know TSR had a turkish topic :P

Aleykum selam kardes :wavey:
(edited 13 years ago)
Merhabalar :smile:

Welcome aboard Spookytan :biggrin:
Reply 358
Hello guys add me up too.. how many are we now ?
Original post by siriusian
Hello guys add me up too.. how many are we now ?

Merhaba :wavey:

If you'd like to join, please follow this link:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=1067

I'm just enjoying the beautiful spring day in London by revising peroxisomes. :sad:

Quick Reply

Latest