The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nunugab
Is jack wills considered to be expensive clothing? because it's definitely not.

:facepalm:
Reply 261
Original post by trollman
:facepalm:

I was just wondering because the stereotype of a 'rah' according to this thread is someone who wears alot of clothes from Jack Wills. It's not expensive at all so I really don't know why people wearing Jack Wills garments think they can strut around acting posh.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by nunugab
I was just wondering because the stereotype of a 'rah' according to this thread is someone who wears alot of clothes from Jack Wills. It's not expensive at all so I really don't know why people wearing Jack Wills garments think they can strut around acting posh.

not expensive at all? You are either rich, spend lots of money on clothes or are horrendously out of touch with what ordinary people spend on clothes.
Reply 263
Original post by trollman
not expensive at all? You are either rich, spend lots of money on clothes or are horrendously out of touch with what ordinary people spend on clothes.

I'm not rich but 60ish quid for a shirt (took a quick look at their website) is normal price? Is it not? Obviously you can find cheaper clothes but objectively speaking 60ish for a shirt is not expensive at all.
Original post by nunugab
I'm not rich but 60ish quid for a shirt (took a quick look at their website) is normal price? Is it not? Obviously you can find cheaper clothes but objectively speaking 60ish for a shirt is not expensive at all.

Please be a troll... :facepalm2:
Reply 265
Original post by Ferrero Rocher
Please be a troll... :facepalm2:

Not at all. I don't think Jack Wills is a snobby brand. Start attributing 'rah's after their attitude not their clothing.
Original post by nunugab
Not at all. I don't think Jack Wills is a snobby brand. Start attributing 'rah's after their attitude not their clothing.

I don't care about whether its Rah or not. I was just refering to your point that £60 for a shirt is not expensive at all. I've never spent more than £25 on a shirt.
Reply 267
I don't care about whether its Rah or not. I was just refering to your point that £60 for a shirt is not expensive at all. I've never spent more than £25 on a shirt.

60 quid for a good shirt is not expensive at all. I'd consider 120+ expensive for a shirt.
Original post by nunugab
60 quid for a good shirt is not expensive at all. I'd consider 120+ expensive for a shirt.

Well it is expensive for us working class people.

Have a good day, sir.
Reply 269

Have a good day, sir.

Fair enough, it wasn't my intention to offend you, if you feel offended. Was merely stating my opinion.
Reply 270

Have a good day, sir.

It's entirely affordable now and then for the average middle-class person.
Original post by nunugab
Is jack wills considered to be expensive clothing? because it's definitely not.

I think the thing is that wannabe rahs think JW is what all middle class people wear. I'm willing to bet that the majority of JW wearers come from decidedly average backgrounds.

Also why are some people on here putting rah in caps? It's not an acronym...
Some people seemed to only wear J W at my uni... and you can get a shirt for £8 from Primark. Just saying :awesome:
Reply 273
Durham, darling.

(There was a statistic that around 60% of Hild Bede - a BIG college - were privately educated).
I'm not sure how anyone can call the likes of Imperial, LSE, Kings and UCL posh, they are teaming with international students with Chinese or Indian accents. This is the furthest from posh! I know that the English who go there are usually quite posh, but they are certainly in the minority!
From visiting, certain sections of Newcastle and Northumbria are filled with rugby idiots. All the Newcastle medics are ridiculously smart though (I'm sure they're other smart people just my friend is a medic!)

Generally the friends who have come back speaking posher than before went to Bristol, Durham, Exeter, St. Andrews - that could be an indicator of the people they hang out with rather than the university as a whole though.
Original post by Thomas...
I'm not sure how anyone can call the likes of Imperial, LSE, Kings and UCL posh, they are teaming with international students with Chinese or Indian accents. This is the furthest from posh! I know that the English who go there are usually quite posh, but they are certainly in the minority!

Are you really saying not a single non-english person can be 'posh' in your view? What if they were the daughter of the Raj of some indian province, lived in a grand palace and constantly complained about how everything here in England was so scummy and dirty and how she missed her servants?
Original post by nexttime
Are you really saying not a single non-english person can be 'posh' in your view? What if they were the daughter of the Raj of some indian province, lived in a grand palace and constantly complained about how everything here in England was so scummy and dirty and how she missed her servants?

Posh is very much an English phenomenon (if that is how it is spelt) the equivalent in other cultures would be high class and well off, but this isn't other cultures, this is England. Posh, my by definition is having a well spoken english accent, good manners and class. As opposed to snobby which is well off, well spoken, but with no class or manners.
The truth is that most international students are not the stereotype you created, but often have very native accents and are quite secular, from my experiences. Not 'posh' at all.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Thomas...
Posh is very much an English phenomenon (if that is how it is spelt) the equivalent in other cultures would be high class and well off, but this isn't other cultures, this is England. Posh, my by definition is having a well spoken english accent, good manners and class. As opposed to snobby which is well off, well spoken, but with no class or manners.
The truth is that most international students are not the stereotype you created, but often have very native accents and are quite secular, from my experiences. Not 'posh' at all.

I'd just like to point out that non-native speakers of English may be very well spoken without having an RP accent. I don't like the word posh, but I knew a guy in halls in first year who was from Dubai and apparently used to play basketball with Arabian princes etc. He was very well-mannered, well-spoken and well educated. I think he would fit most people's idea of 'posh', but he didn't speak with an RP accent.
Original post by nunugab

£60 is quite expensive for a shirt, don't get me wrong I have a couple of shirts (fred perry) which were around that mark but i consider them my 'nice shirts'.

Most people our age get shirts for around £20 or less from places like topman or h&m etc. JW is very expensive OBJECTIVELY SPEAKING.

Latest

Trending

Trending