The Student Room Group

What makes a girl intimidating?? :D

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
It's mainly things that are usually typically for guys which make girls intimidating when they adopt them:

- Overly upright, fast-paced, assured walk
- Loud, strong voice
- Long, piercing eye contact
- Powerful, exaggerated gestures and mimics

These things are mainly found in mid- and late-20s (and older) business women, not so much in insecure teen girls (who are the main demographics of TSR), so it might not quite give you the answers you were looking for. Those are just my two cents.

Interesting to note. As a late teen (doing A2) I tend to do all of the above, minus the loud voice - its usually at a normal level and with a neutral tone. Not that I consider myself to be intimidating but your post has made me actually acknowledge my traits. :redface:

Do you reckon its an overly bad thing to do? :s-smilie:
Reply 21
Original post by unicornsoncrack
the human league?:colone:

Exactly :ahee:
Reply 22
Original post by Potential Trigger
Basic psychology tells you that we do a quickly "size up" someone as soon as we meet them!

Not everyone is in the same league. Guys/girls have all had thoughts like "Oh I think he/she would like me" and vice versa.

But we are, we all bath, use the toilet, eat food, bleed blood the same.

Of course we all decide who we would have sex with from the first time we meet them but that's on a superficial level, if someone's personality is rude no matter if they look like a model. They are not worth it.

I think it's the way society especially the media with films having a geeky boy and a popular girl and making it seem that if you look like this you'll never get someone who looks like that.

There are shallow people in the world but those people are narrow minded and care what others think of them.
Reply 23
I've been told I was intimidating because I know how to shut people up and win arguments. A guy actually told my friend he didn't know how to start a conversation with me after I asked tough questions to a UN/Human Rights rep. at our school's auditorium. :tongue:
Original post by ForeverGold
Guys what makes a girl intimidating?
I don't mean holding a butchers knife or negative things. If you liked her but ignored her but do that staring thing that you guys do "yes we know you do it out of the corner of our eyes" :ninjagirl:

Girls has a guy ever been intimidated by you before?
Have you found out later on or by a friend that a guy liked you even though they never told you.

tl;dr version

Guys intimidated by girls?
Girls has a guy been intimidated by you?

You think that we're going to let you know the secret? :lowut: You'll take over the world!
Reply 25
Good looks , very Loud and maybe if more intelligent than I am .
Original post by smallfish
Interesting to note. As a late teen (doing A2) I tend to do all of the above, minus the loud voice - its usually at a normal level and with a neutral tone. Not that I consider myself to be intimidating but your post has made me actually acknowledge my traits. :redface:

Glad I could help :wink: Invoice for psychological counselling is in the mail lol

If it's a bad thing depends on your standpoint. Most 'normal' men do not like these traits in women, as they can be quite intimidating, and they prefer more 'toned-down', feminine women. Equally strong/dominant men might enjoy seeing themselves being mirrored by you, but in a relation there would be a lot of friction. Often strong women end up with wussies, who they can boss around - and usually the guys don't even mind; those relationships actually work lol
In career terms, these traits are absolutely fantastic. People will take you more seriously, listen more closely, and you will more likely get your way.
There was one guy that once told me it was scary that I listen to really heavy metal music. I guess that counts as intimidating?
Original post by ForeverGold
How can a girl be out of your league, everyone is on the same league :redface:

Don't spout ****.

An average guy sees a stunning girl and thinks 'She could get anyone she wants, so why would I stand a chance?'

Really, it's all in the mindset. If you think you're God's gift to women (even if you aren't) then you won't be intimidated and similarly if you have low self-esteem (even if you are good looking) then you will be. It's quite straightforward. I fall into the category of people with low self-esteem...
Reply 29
There's no such thing as intimidation. There's no such thing. There's no such thing. What I'm getting at here is that intimidation is not a "thing". If you feel intimidated by something or someone, it's a process you're doing mentally. Nothing more.

Trying to overcome that mental intimidation is hard but you need to push yourself out of your comfort zone adn allow yourself to realise that very little bad will come from putting yourself out there.
Original post by Millyshyn
There was one guy that once told me it was scary that I listen to really heavy metal music. I guess that counts as intimidating?

Different strokes for different folks. That would suddenly make you a lot more approachable for me.
Reply 31
If you think she's more popular than you for a certain reason, can be fairly pity if you think about it :holmes:
Beauty, popularity, even a nice personality to some extent.
a girl who's 6"5, has a beard, hairy arms and legs, and has a bear belly...that would be intimidating.
Reply 34
Being boisterously flatulent.

Oh, and humourlessness.
Reply 35
Original post by Profesh
Being boisterously flatulent.

Oh, and humourlessness.

I'd find these offputting NOT intimidating :tongue:
The girl I like at work intimidates me by being able to speak to everyone else with relative ease but not being able to speak a word except for 'thanks' or 'sorry' to me as we pass by.
A blood-stained axe and an insane glint in her eye
Reply 38
Original post by DumpOrStay?
Really?

Pretty impressive tbh
Original post by smallfish

As a slightly older woman than you are -- no, not at all.

You're about to embark on a world which has a lot more in it than relationships, and there will be people who will try and intimidate you, especially as a female, if you're perceived as an easy target. (Not JUST females I hasten to add, I've had to step in front of my own partner on occasion when people saw someone who was Just Too Damn Nice).

There is nothing at all wrong with letting your body language declare you to be a guy's equal, and the guys who are intimidated by it are honestly the ones you probably would want to stay away from in the first place as they want to be In Charge of the relationship. At best, if you're not naturally a stand-back person you'll find that relationship frustrating, at worst, that might well not be a guy who wants someone easy to control for a not so nice reason. Neither of those make for healthy relationships.

That said, do make sure that if you do end up dating someone slightly quieter you don't end up steamrollering them. Consciously stopping and going "Hey, what would you like in this?" is a GOOD habit to get into in any relationship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending