The Student Room Group

Feel fat and ugly :(

I don't know what's going on with me lately... I've always felt pretty self-confident. Never really cared about weight or anything too much but recently I've become obsessed. I just feel so ugly :-/ I get compliments when I've straightened my hair, put on makeup and am wearing my best clothes but I can't be like that everyday! I actually feel like I look hideous without makeup...I don't think I could actually go into uni without at least some foundation on. I always get people telling me I'm pretty - friends and strangers alike and I smile and say thanks but when I look in the mirror I just don't see it.
Weight wise I am a classic "skinny-fat person" 5 foot 6 and 56 kg..you would think I'm a normal weight but no my weight is spread so disproportionally. My stomach look 6 months pregnant, my bingo wings are disgusting, my thighs touch each other yet my wrists are tiny, I'm an average B cup and ankles to knees I'm skinny.
I know there's more to a person than looks but because I feel so ugly I just want to curl up and hide.

Basically I need tips on how to shape my body so I feel comfortable and proportional? Also girls and guys-what do you think of a girl who wears little makeup and wears simple clothes? Everyday for uni I wear smart clothes, do my hair and do my makeup nicely but I'm sick of it. I want to be myself. I want to put on jeans and a hoody..tie my hair back and wear my glasses...but everyone would be shocked to see me like that :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Fat - eat less, excercise more.
Ugly - sucks to be you.
You're beautiful in your way cause god makes no mistakes....
You are beautiful in every single way... words can't bring you down :wink:
Reply 3
Sit down and have a conversation with a close friend who you trust about your shape. Tell them to be completely honest with you, and most importantly, believe their answers to your questions.

It's more likely that you're a little delusional than oddly disproportioned. It's very common in young women, and pretty dangerous if left to itself.

Also, girls who try too hard appearance-wise are a complete turn-off to me. I like confidence, and perfect hair, make up and outfit on a daily basis tells me the opposite.
Reply 4
Original post by steve collins
Fat - eat less, excercise more.
Ugly - sucks to be you.

I don't even eat a lot.. but I guess I could try being even healthier..and yes it does..
You just need to stop being silly and go to the gym. I don't think I've had anybody tell me I am pretty in about 10 years - so just get over it. You can't expect to get compliments everyday, it's not realistic, I bet even the most beautiful people don't.

I am actually shorter than you and would be please to weigh what you do. I was also obsessed with weight and now weight 70 kg! I'm overweight - high BMI but I am not crying about it. You just need to go to the gym, talk to the people there they'll tell you how to tone your arms and stomach as well as thighs. There are many classes like legs, buns and tums . . .

If you don't like your body shape DO something about it. I used to go to Uni in my Uni hoody, jeans, trainers with my hair whatever way I felt was comfortable that day - tied, straight etc - although I am naturally curly I usually went in with my curls everywhere - nobody cared. I wasn't trying to impress anyone. Just be YOU and being you doesn't mean you are ugly.
Reply 6
Original post by Cinnamon_Twist

hmm thanks..I feel so ungrateful and evil because I know people are worse off.. I have no deformities or anything so I should be thankful but I hate what I see in the mirror and don't understand the compliments..
Reply 7
Hit the gym, you'll be surprised how much better you'll feel physically and psychologically.
Reply 8
Sparing 30 mins of a morning to sort out your hair and put a little make up on isn't you not being yourself, if it makes you feel more self confident then do it.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't even eat a lot.. but I guess I could try being even healthier..and yes it does..

In that case accept yourself as you are, dress as
you like, kees healthy, act as you like and be comfortable in yourself. Simple. Stop whining and live your life without paying so much attention to how other people might view you.
Chin up toots ;D
Pic maybe? Even PM'd ones, if you want an accurate answer, need more detail than 'i feel ugly and fat' QQ
Reply 11
Original post by Watcher7
Sit down and have a conversation with a close friend who you trust about your shape. Tell them to be completely honest with you, and most importantly, believe their answers to your questions.

It's more likely that you're a little delusional than oddly disproportioned. It's very common in young women, and pretty dangerous if left to itself.

Also, girls who try too hard appearance-wise are a complete turn-off to me. I like confidence, and perfect hair, make up and outfit on a daily basis tells me the opposite.

I've talked to my friend about it and she thinks I'm being ridiculous. My arms etc are soo skinny so I understand why but she doesn't understand how much my fat belly annoys me :frown: I cant wear tight tops and dresses and honestly look pregnant!
Reply 12
I'm guessing that there is nothing wrong with you, although you feel that there is. People are their own worse critics. If other people are telling you that you are pretty than you probably are. I think you are suffering from low self esteem, which is normal. Go look at yourself in the mirror. Listen to the voice that critisizes you, and with that same voice, look at your body and tell yourself nice things. Don't let yourself be harsh on you. Treat yourself as you would have others treat you.
i'm a very self conscious person, like if i ever have to go anywhere without makeup i struggle to look people in the eye, because like yu although i get told i'm pretty, i just dont see it!!...i'm also out of shape in pretty much how you described yourself, thighs, arms etc.
and i also often feel like i cant dress how i want to because i live in this very 'proper' cheshire village where if you do anything remotely different people just talk behind your back and its ****.:frown:
what i do is just think WHY do i actually care, for the time being i have to see these people at school bt what they think of me right now shouldnt have a impact on me for the rest of my life because i have the right to feel comfortable being who i am and luckily my friends get that.
Get yourself into the frame of mind that says 'i'm still the same person on the inside if not better because i can show it on the outside too!!' and go into uni wearing what the hell you want, people may talk about it and the ones who do aren't worth your time...or you might just be over thinkng things and maybe nobody will care in the slightest or your friends might even be happy that you're comfortable enough around them to just wear a jeans and hoody.
you only get one shot at being in this place so dont let others hold you back:smile: keep smiling:biggrin:

oh and feel free to pm me!!
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous
I've talked to my friend about it and she thinks I'm being ridiculous. My arms etc are soo skinny so I understand why but she doesn't understand how much my fat belly annoys me :frown: I cant wear tight tops and dresses and honestly look pregnant!

Ask a friend about that then. Find out if they see it too. If not, go get help. Eating disorders kill more people than all other psychological disorders combined, and that self-loathing you're feeling is the first step towards one.
Reply 15
You might not be able to see it when you look in a mirror, but I know some very attractive girls have gone through a bit of a crisis like this. Keep in mind that you might be very pretty to everyone except yourself. You've already indicated that in your post. Makeup does not make you change your appearance; it only helps to enhance good looks that are already there. The compliments you mentioned are not coming from the makeup or hairdo!

I would talk to friends about how you feel about your body shape & looks. I'm sure they'll tell you that you are fine. Don't let these feelings dominate you because they're evidently not true.
You have to get through it - as someone who suffered from anorexia and bulimia I can say that getting obsessed doesn't help anything. See a councillor if you're really worried - you just have to find some confidence somewhere... I mean I'm not completely secure, but I'm not as horrifically obsessed with the way I look as I used to be. Weight doesn't determine how pretty you are anyway, when I had anorexia my face was horrible and sickly looking, my skin was so pale and had patches on it from calcium deficiency. Not attractive.
Now I exercise instead of doing stupid fad diets, I feel a lot better for it - may not feel 'thin' but I feel healthy and I think that's far better. Also I cut out most artificial sugars and fats out of my diet, I feel a lot better because of that too - mind you, I think that's still kind of obsessive behaviour but that's what helps me feel comfortable at the weight I am now.

I think most girls like to look like they take care of themselves by wearing makeup and do their hair, I mean as long as you aren't caking the makeup on I don't see the problem. However, if you're not doing it for yourself (like I do) don't feel like you need to wear makeup. Don't pretend to be someone you're not just because you think other people will be impressed by it otherwise you're living a very fake existance.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17

Hitler wasn't a mistake? :eek: People like you disgust me.
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't think there's anything wrong with anyone who likes simple clothing, it can be worn with style too, so not really a bad thing at all. :smile:

To get a smaller stomach well do sit ups everyday, and sit less especially after eating, make sure you walk about, otherwise it concentrates around you're stomach and hips easily. You're not that bad, I'm the same height and heavier, you can also wear clothes that put less emphasis on you're stomach, like putting a belt on gives you more shape and a slimmer effect. You have a way to hide it really, that's the bright side, it's possible to dress effectively for this kind of shape.

You need more self acceptance, not easy but if you start to accept you'll get more confident. :smile:

You are not Bruno Mars.

Fail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending