The Student Room Group

enough time for revision?

is 10 days enough to learn the material for four as-levels (history, philosophy, biology and economics) and then to spend a week on past papers?
Reply 1
Possible but amazingly hard!! I suggest you spend 1 possibly 2 days on each subject. Then concentrate on the pass papers. I should start right this minute if I was you.
Reply 2
thanks a lot mate
Reply 3
I'm not sure to what extent others agree with me (feel absolutely free to quote & disagree :smile:) but I'm fairly sure that you'll benefit from spending more revision time on history and biology. Whereas the two aforementioned are reliant upon utilising and discussing facts you have learnt, philosophy and economics on the other hand are more about your own creativity in expanding upon basic principles (which you should(?) already know, and are therefore more reliant upon exam technique. Therefore I'd advise a total of 6 days revising history and biology, and 3 days on practice papers; and a total of 4 days revising philosophy and economics, with 4 days on practice papers. It's clear that certain subjects are more reliant on certain types of skills, and therefore require more spent on those particular areas, hopefully the schedule above will best reflect that. Best of luck :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Craig_D
I'm not sure to what extent others agree with me (feel absolutely free to quote & disagree :smile:) but I'm fairly sure that you'll benefit from spending more revision time on history and biology. Whereas the two aforementioned are reliant upon utilising and discussing facts you have learnt, philosophy and economics on the other hand are more about your own creativity in expanding upon basic principles (which you should(?) already know, and are therefore more reliant upon exam technique. Therefore I'd advise a total of 6 days revising history and biology, and 3 days on practice papers; and a total of 4 days revising philosophy and economics, with 4 days on practice papers. It's clear that certain subjects are more reliant on certain types of skills, and therefore require more spent on those particular areas, hopefully the schedule above will best reflect that. Best of luck :smile:

I don't know about economics, but Philosophy is bloody hard. It really aggrivates me when people presume that it's a subject that doesn't need as much revision as the others. It's not something that you can just wing! (sorry, I don't mean to be offend you personally or anything but I see this kind of presumption a lot) It's not more about creativity at all, since it's not about opinion. It's about knowing all of the theories etc and being able to criticise them....
Reply 5
Original post by pipster93
I don't know about economics, but Philosophy is bloody hard. It really aggrivates me when people presume that it's a subject that doesn't need as much revision as the others. It's not something that you can just wing! (sorry, I don't mean to be offend you personally or anything but I see this kind of presumption a lot) It's not more about creativity at all, since it's not about opinion. It's about knowing all of the theories etc and being able to criticise them....

I'm definitely not undervaluing the difficulty, I know from experience that certain philosophical concepts take a while to get one's head around. I do however also feel it's a subject where exam technique (specifically how you say something, rather than just what you say) plays a much bigger role than in a subject such as biology. I have experience of 7 ASs, but I have to confess that philosophy was not one of them, unfortunately I don't believe that my sixth form even ran it, but it's my expectation that it would need as much work on exam technique as revision (I confess I could be wrong), whereas my memory of chemistry for example was that it required no exam technique at all, just revision, as all that was required in the exam was writing the correct answer on the dotted line. Don't feel that I don't hold philosophy in high esteem, quite the opposite. I suppose on reflection I do see it as requiring similar skills to history (and I give no higher praise than that!), so I admit I was wrong initially to place them in different camps.
(edited 13 years ago)
Doubt it - but asking people on here's not going to help anything.

I know I've posted a similar thing on like 3-4 threads now - but why ask if there's enough time or if it's possible - should that stop you trying!? No!
Reply 7
Thanks so much for the advice and at @hassi94 thats a good point but its comforting knowing that other people can and do this and knowing that it is possible gives you that extra boost, for me anyways
I'm doing RS (read: Philosophy and Ethics- don't know why they don't call it that!) and yup, frigging hard. I'm doing the AS + A2 in a year and I actually don't know where to start...

OP, that sounds like a lot of pressure... it's not impossible but why do that to yourself? When are your exams? Surely you have longer than 10 days? :s-smilie:
Good luck, anyway! :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by diamonddust
I'm doing RS (read: Philosophy and Ethics- don't know why they don't call it that!) and yup, frigging hard. I'm doing the AS + A2 in a year and I actually don't know where to start...

OP, that sounds like a lot of pressure... it's not impossible but why do that to yourself? When are your exams? Surely you have longer than 10 days? :s-smilie:
Good luck, anyway! :tongue:

Is this on the OCR spec?? If so, I feel your pain, it is tough. I'm doing A2 now and am really struggling!!! Managed to somehow get 100% at AS though, in both papers! Madness...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Craig_D
I'm definitely not undervaluing the difficulty, I know from experience that certain philosophical concepts take a while to get one's head around. I do however also feel it's a subject where exam technique (specifically how you say something, rather than just what you say) plays a much bigger role than in a subject such as biology. I have experience of 7 ASs, but I have to confess that philosophy was not one of them, unfortunately I don't believe that my sixth form even ran it, but it's my expectation that it would need as much work on exam technique as revision (I confess I could be wrong), whereas my memory of chemistry for example was that it required no exam technique at all, just revision, as all that was required in the exam was writing the correct answer on the dotted line. Don't feel that I don't hold philosophy in high esteem, quite the opposite. I suppose on reflection I do see it as requiring similar skills to history (and I give no higher praise than that!), so I admit I was wrong initially to place them in different camps.

(Just so you know, I didn't neg rep you!)

Surely then the likes of History and Philosophy would need more work? As you have to work on exam technique as well as all of the knowledge?
If you streamline and focus your revision properly then you can manage it. Don't worry, I think 10 days is just about enough. The key is exam practice.

Good luck.
Is this on the OCR spec?? If so, I feel your pain, it is tough. I'm doing A2 now and am really struggling!!! Managed to smoehow get 100% at AS though, in both papers! Madness...

I'm on Edexcel. Evil, evil subject! :tongue:
Congratulations on your amazing AS results! Should take the pressure off this year, no?
Reply 13
Original post by diamonddust
I'm on Edexcel. Evil, evil subject! :tongue:
Congratulations on your amazing AS results! Should take the pressure off this year, no?

It is evil! Not sure how different Edexcel is from OCR but I know OCR's awful aswell! Especially with Ethics this year!

Thank you! It does take the pressure off, a bit, but my teachers are now pressuring me to do the same this year (when I think it was a bit of a fluke last year!!). What are you aiming for?
Reply 14

I know, there is more to it than people think.

Quick Reply

Latest