Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Why is Aston uni underrated?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smtn
Aston is good for pharmacy/optometry also ^

What options extra did Sheffield offer you? Placement years are always possible, what makes Aston good is that they are geared towards it e.g fully resourced department/database to help you secure the placement

Oh yes I'll give you the pharmacy / optometry but they're both quite niche subjects, I'm not sure how many universities offer optometry but I'd be surprised if it reaches double figures.
Sheffield do a placement year too it's optional and probably not as well provisioned for than Aston but it's their. In terms of options Sheffield offered modules in Developmental Economics and Health Economics both of which I'm somewhat interested in. Both are good universities,
I know I'd be happier at Sheffield than Aston and felt that it was the right place for me to spend my time.

Just out of interest who and what are you working for / doing?
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 21
After graduating I started a consulting job for a small firm, then quit and am currently in the final stage of Big 4 / IBM applications (consultancy). During my MSc I also had a 10 month internship with Deutsche Bank who offered to partner with me for my dissertation project.

As long as you're happy with your choice, that's the main thing. It's funny to observe that UCAS points are more important than your actual degree/institution for a lot of graduate jobs. Once you're past the initial stages of application, recruiters couldn't care less where you're from, as long as you perform during interview/assessment centre.

If you want specific grad jobs then you need to focus on

1. Getting a 2:1
2. Experiencing as much relevant employment/activities to set you up for competency interviews
3. Commercial Awareness (degree helps a bit here)/ Exercising your brain (slightly harder to explain, but should come naturally)

That's why it's pretty funny seeing people get caught up on 'X is better than Y!', as with the current popular graduate recruitment processes, nobody really gives a ****
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Smtn
After graduating I started a consulting job for a small firm, then quit and am currently in the final stage of Big 4 / IBM applications (consultancy). During my MSc I also had a 10 month internship with Deutsche Bank who offered to partner with me for my dissertation project.

As long as you're happy with your choice, that's the main thing. It's funny to observe that UCAS points are more important than your actual degree/institution for a lot of graduate jobs. Once you're past the initial stages of application, recruiters couldn't care less where you're from, as long as you perform during interview/assessment centre.

If you want specific grad jobs then you need to focus on

1. Getting a 2:1
2. Experiencing as much relevant employment/activities to set you up for competency interviews
3. Commercial Awareness / Exercising your brain (slightly harder to explain, but should come naturally)

That's why it's pretty funny seeing people get caught up on 'X is better than Y!', as with the current popular graduate recruitment processes, nobody really gives a ****

Well good luck on your interviews.
I chose the University that felt most comfortable and look forward to being in your position in 4ish years.
Original post by rugbygreg
- I'm not against the merge of ethnicities but I felt like it was massively out of proportion to the real world.

For the sake of clarity, exactly which "real world" are you talking about?
Original post by LSE-or-Broke
For the sake of clarity, exactly which "real world" are you talking about?

Out on the street.
Reply 25
Out on the street in Birmingham? :biggrin:

Which street?
Do people get into aston university with three B's, and what's the foundation optometry course all about?
Reply 28
Original post by AartiSmarti
Do people get into aston university with three B's, and what's the foundation optometry course all about?

It's optometry course is ranked top in the UK.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by spooks123
It's optometry course is ranked top in the UK.

that didn't really answer my question. LOL

Can't say they do, at least with the business school. It is AAB or AAA, mY offer was AAA last year.
Reply 31
that didn't really answer my question. LOL

True. I was thinking that it might be less likely for there to be students with 3Bs cos their entry requirements are AAA. But, as always, it will depend on the competition levels.

Will Aston be your firm?
Hopefully you should be fine:smile:
Reply 32
My offer for Beng electrical engineering is BBB, but my Meng fast track offer is AAA.
Original post by A.galloway
Can't say they do, at least with the business school. It is AAB or AAA, mY offer was AAA last year.

oh damn.
just have to hope for the best then i suppose!
do you know anything about their foundation year? apparently it's a human life sciences course, for a year, which takes you straight into the course the next year.
Original post by spooks123
True. I was thinking that it might be less likely for there to be students with 3Bs cos their entry requirements are AAA. But, as always, it will depend on the competition levels.

Will Aston be your firm?
Hopefully you should be fine:smile:

yeah, that's what i'm worried about. i hope there won't be much competition this year!
yes, it's my firm! i love the campus! what about you? what are you considering as your firm? oh, and thanks a lot!
Original post by TlanTlan
My offer for Beng electrical engineering is BBB, but my Meng fast track offer is AAA.

i think it always depends on the amount of competition.
Original post by Smtn

It's sad you didn't like the campus, as I'm fairly confident academically Aston would serve you better than Sheffield for business

In what regard? Aston has a weaker reputation but a stronger business school whereas, Sheffield has a stronger reputation but a weaker business school. Sheffield would probably stand you in better stead because employers in general look at the overall univeristy rating. Although I'm not bashing Aston, I think it is underrated.
Original post by Jack McGill
In what regard? Aston has a weaker reputation but a stronger business school whereas, Sheffield has a stronger reputation but a weaker business school. Sheffield would probably stand you in better stead because employers in general look at the overall univeristy rating. Although I'm not bashing Aston, I think it is underrated.

it depends on the course you're doing. a university that's known to be quite good, might not be good for your course.
different universities suit different courses.
Reply 38
Original post by Jack McGill

Mainly the fact they are geared towards compulsory placement years, which are invaluable when lots of grad jobs come from internship offers, and 1 year in industry allows you to gather experiences to nail competency exams.

Actually a lot graduate schemes don't put much emphasis on which uni you're from, as long as you have a 2:1 and enough UCAS pts. They care about how well you do in their application tests, where 1 year of experience really shows
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Smtn
Mainly the fact they are geared towards compulsory placement years, which are invaluable when lots of grad jobs come from internship offers, and 1 year in industry allows you to gather experiences to nail competency exams.

Actually a lot graduate schemes don't put much emphasis on which uni you're from, as long as you have a 2:1 and enough UCAS pts. They care about how well you do in their application tests, where 1 year of experience really shows

Yes, but surely if you go to a univeristy that offers placements and you take them up on that then you will gain the same advantage as going to Aston, although they may offer better placements than other universities.

Quick Reply

Latest