The Student Room Group

Hate in To Kill a Mockingbird

Scroll to see replies

-> Hatred towards Boo by the people of Maycomb.
-> Atticus being a role model against hatred and forgiveness and that.
-> Hatred against outsiders... like that new teacher that comes and teaches the kids whose name I can't remember.
-> Jem's "hatred" towards Boo's brother or whoever it was who covered up the hole in the tree.
-> Obviously unjust hatred from whites towards blacks (worth noting- in the book it is described that the blacks live next to a rubbish dump... find some symbolism from this!). Also how the Church of the blacks is used by whites as a gambling place... so hatred (well, more disrespect, tbh) towards the black community.

I can't really remember the book tbh but literally my technique for english was: close eyes, flick to random page, place finger randomly on page and try to twist the quote I find towards the theme of the question while PEEing quite intensely.
Original post by duddles95

My English teacher has set me this piece of homework, and I'm supposed to be finding out about hate in To Kill a Mockingbird, but I can't find anything - not even if any of my Revision Guides :frown:

A little help please? :colondollar:

Don't all of you see the sarcasm I didn't because im kind hearted but then I saw through the evil deception LOL :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by blueray

Original post by blueray
Don't all of you see the sarcasm I didn't because im kind hearted but then I saw through the evil deception LOL :biggrin:

I'm the same.

I'm the same.

What so you wasted everyone's time?!
Say sorry! :mad:
Original post by Justcallmejess
Hate is intertwined with the novel's plot throughout its duration. It is hate, whether driven by prejudice or personal matters, which enables Harper Lee to communicate the effects of discrimination, whether it be racial, sexist, status or centred around a person's "family background". Some of the key events in the novel, which are linked with this hatred are: the court trial, Bob Ewell attacking Jem and Scout, racism in general, events centred around Mrs Dubose, etc. You could also refer to the town's disapproval of Atticus defending Tom Robinson to the best of his ability. There are loads of possibilities.

hmm this seems as if it has come from wikipedia :eek:
Original post by singaporefreak
hmm this seems as if it has come from wikipedia :eek:

Well, you see, I was just trying to provide an analytical insight into the challenges faced by Jem and Scout as they battle against a community consumed by prejudice and discrimination.

It came from the bottom of my heart. </3

Your're just jealous.
*cough* *cough* *cough* *spasm*
:wink:
Reply 26
Original post by HedonisticMe

Original post by HedonisticMe
Wait, so you've actually read the book?

:ashamed:

Yes - just not in quite a while.
Hate is intertwined with the novel's plot throughout its duration. It is hate, whether driven by prejudice or personal matters, which enables Harper Lee to communicate the effects of discrimination, whether it be racial, sexist, status or centred around a person's "family background". Some of the key events in the novel, which are linked with this hatred are: the court trial, Bob Ewell attacking Jem and Scout, racism in general, events centred around Mrs Dubose, etc. You could also refer to the town's disapproval of Atticus defending Tom Robinson to the best of his ability. There are loads of possibilities.

This information was really helpful. Used some of the ideas in my essay and got an A*. Thanks a lot.:biggrin:
Original post by gilllybeans
This information was really helpful. Used some of the ideas in my essay and got an A*. Thanks a lot.:biggrin:

It's no problem Gilllyweed... I mean... errr... Gilllybeans.
I am just glad that my superior knowledge was able to benefit those less gifted.

:smile:
It's no problem Gilllyweed... I mean... errr... Gilllybeans.
I am just glad that my superior knowledge was able to benefit those less gifted.

:smile:

Actually, I was lying. My teacher (the sly fox) told me that my essay could have been better if I removed the things you suggested. I accidently put the wrong post on the wrong thread.
Codswallop *+&%&^%)*&^$&.
You lie.
Reply 31

Codswallop *+&amp;%&amp;^%)*&amp;^$&amp;.
You lie.

I agree. :wink:
Actually, I was lying. My teacher (the sly fox) told me that my essay could have been better if I removed the things you suggested. I accidently put the wrong post on the wrong thread.

The sly fox works in wondrous ways, she gives justcallmejess 40/40 on her essay, but shuns her ideas because they came from gilly beans... are these ideas good or bad, or is this just an excellent example of how racial prejudice in TKAM is realted to life in 2011. Brown segregation? :confused:
The sly fox works in wondrous ways, she gives justcallmejess 40/40 on her essay, but shuns her ideas because they came from gilly beans... are these ideas good or bad, or is this just an excellent example of how racial prejudice in TKAM is realted to life in 2011. Brown segregation? :confused:

Nope. You and Gilllybeans just lack "flair".
Flamboyant curves.
That is all.
'Flair' is just a euphemism for 'i'll give you a pity mark because you used a few long words' period.
Tru Dat. :biggrin:
Tru Dat. :biggrin:

You just contradicted yourself!
Singaporefreak, please stay on the topic of the thread.
Don't make me get Strictof.

Singaporefreak, please stay on the topic of the thread.
Don't make me get Strictof.

You just contradicted yourself!

NAUGHTY!!! What would smithison say?
NAUGHTY!!! What would smithison say?

you have no right to mention smithson.

atticus rules <---this means im keeping to the subject of the thread!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending