The Student Room Group

Netherlands set to ban halal/kosher slaughter without stunning

Article.

In Holland, a proposal to ban Kosher and Halal slaughter methods has moved a step closer to reality, with a majority of the country’s MPs now supporting the ban.

In order to reduce stress, in the EU animals slaughtered for meat are normally stunned before they are killed. But Kosher and Halal butchery requires the animals to be fully conscious when their throats are cut.

Rabbi Raphael Evers, the Rabbi of Rotterdam Federation of Jewish Orthodox Communities in the Netherlands, said: “Our Jewish community feels very shocked. We have been here in the Netherlands for four hundred years and we see this new law against ritual slaughter as an infringement of our constitutional religious rights.”

Most countries grant exceptions for Kosher and Halal abattoirs. But a coalition of animal rights and anti-Muslim groups is now demanding that Kosher and Halal slaughter methods be banned.

Abdulfatteh Ali-Salah, the director of Halal Correct, said: “If the law goes through there will be nothing to do but protest, and we will. The Muslims in the Netherlands will protest en masse against this law.”

Marianne Thieme, who proposed the ban, is a founding member of The “Party of the Animals” which won two seats in the Dutch parliament at the last elections. She believes that humane treatments of animals trumps religious tolerance. Kosher and Halal slaughter is already banned in New Zealand.

So, essentially, the Netherlands is set to ban halal/kosher slaughter where stunning is not used beforehand. They will still be able to make a prayer/cut the animal's throat - but only after it has been stunned.

Agree/disagree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Far as I know(and I may be wrong) Halal/kosher slaughter is cruel for the animals. So this is a good thing.

Btw if your going to neg this show me I am wrong? Generally thought that was implied by the post....
(edited 12 years ago)
Good. I love the idea of respecting the animal with a prayer etc, but it should be done as humanely as possible.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Very good. What difference does stunning/not stunning make to Muslims? You can still do everything else as before except this time the animal doesn't go through extra pain.
This law is already in place in the UK. There is only a exception made for meat which is sold to only the Muslim/Jewish communities and not the wider population, i.e. in independent butchers.
Reply 5
I initially read that as 'neanderthals' *facepalm*
Reply 6
The blood rushes out of the head of the animal when the neck is cut and the animal looses consciousness near enough straight away so it doesn't have time to feel any pain.

When you drive a bolt through the head of an animal it surely feels that!

Anyway if it was to go ahead, people would just import halal/kosher meat.
Reply 7
Thank Allah for that!
Reply 8
Original post by CombineHarvester
This law is already in place in the UK. There is only a exception made for meat which is sold to only the Muslim/Jewish communities and not the wider population, i.e. in independent butchers.

Not really, it would seem that the proposed Dutch law applies to all slaughter in the country. The motivation seems to be a universal animal welfare issue rather than a who ends up eating halal/kosher meat issue.
I trust that all of the individuals campaigning for this are vegetarians? If they are so concerned for animals, I hope they'd do the decent thing and not eat meat at all.
Reply 10
As a Muslim I'm indifferent to stunning or no-stunning of Halal meat. I have heard arguements on both sides for whether it causes greater suffering or not, but I don't think it makes much of a difference, if any. However, if someone wants to provide a reliable study which proves me wrong, they are more than welcome and I will give it genuine consideration - I'm not impervious to facts.
(edited 12 years ago)
This is the kinda situation where 'infringing upon someone's rights' is a good thing.

**** their dumbass archaic beliefs.
Reply 12
Good.
Original post by WhereIsMyMind
I trust that all of the individuals campaigning for this are vegetarians? If they are so concerned for animals, I hope they'd do the decent thing and not eat meat at all.

I doubt it. A vegetarian wouldn't see the difference between stunning and just having the carotid artery slit, it's all slaughter, it's all cruelty.

As for me, a meat-eater, I don't see a difference. The animal still dies and it can be reasonably assumed it goes through pain whatever the weather. This "humanely as possible" stuff is for people to clear their own consciences as much as they can whilst enjoying the taste and convenience of meat.

Edit: Actually, just read it: The Party of Animals being non-vegetarian is actually a load of rubbish. It's impossible to consider that animals have rights and then eat them.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm against this.

So the actual stun bolt to the head is harmless? What a load of nonsense. "No but it's less painful than the throat being cut." Evidence please?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by storna
Article.

So, essentially, the Netherlands is set to ban halal/kosher slaughter where stunning is not used beforehand. They will still be able to make a prayer/cut the animal's throat - but only after it has been stunned.

Agree/disagree?

hmmm. Perhaps for the first time, the Netherlands have managed to unite Muslims and Jews together. Something which the UN has failed to do for decades.

Not surprised thousands of Muslims and Jews have had to flee from the Netherlands in recent times.
Reply 16
Original post by Ozzy2257
When you drive a bolt through the head of an animal it surely feels that!

Same with a knife slicing into the neck, no?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by silent ninja
I'm against this.

So the actual stun bolt to the head is harmless? What a load of nonsense. "No but it's less painful than the throat being cut." Evidence please?

Ever seen a goat tied up then having its throat cut? Never heard an animal make such cries.
Reply 18
Original post by CombineHarvester

Proof?
Reply 19
Original post by Aj12
Ever seen a goat tied up then having its throat cut? Never heard an animal make such cries.

I have been to a halal slaughter house and watched goats having their throats slit. There was no noise and they stopped shaking after around 5 seconds.

Quick Reply

Latest