The Student Room Group

Sheffield , sheffield Hallam or Notts Trent

Here' sanother one , can anyone help me to choose between Sheffield , sheffield Hallam or Notts Trent.

I really can't tell the difference between them, my brother went to sheffield and got a degree and is now doing absoloutely nothing. No job offers or anything, Notts trent has a good reputation, but Hallam despite it's good reputation and strong links with employers, much unlike the traditional unis these days, has a low history subject rating. I don't know whether to go to sheffield uni and not find a job or go to the more flourishing polies and find a strong job in the industry
Original post by Locutus
Here' sanother one , can anyone help me to choose between Sheffield , sheffield Hallam or Notts Trent.

I really can't tell the difference between them, my brother went to sheffield and got a degree and is now doing absoloutely nothing. No job offers or anything, Notts trent has a good reputation, but Hallam despite it's good reputation and strong links with employers, much unlike the traditional unis these days, has a low history subject rating. I don't know whether to go to sheffield uni and not find a job or go to the more flourishing polies and find a strong job in the industry

Sheffield uni has the best reputation- you would be in a better position for employment going there as opposed to Trent/Hallam. Easy decision imo cos Sheffield uni is in a different league to the other two.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
However Hallam and Trent are mre likely to get me a solid start in a good job. I'd like to go to a traditional uni and I'm expected to get the grades, I don't think I'd be in any better position for employment at sheffield than at the other two, based on reputation alone
Original post by Locutus
However Hallam and Trent are mre likely to get me a solid start in a good job. I'd like to go to a traditional uni and I'm expected to get the grades, I don't think I'd be in any better position for employment at sheffield than at the other two, based on reputation alone

I think you are using your brother's inability to find a job as a reason for saying that Sheffield uni graduates find it more difficult to find employment. This is not true in the slightest- when you are looking for jobs, Sheffield is likely to open many more doors and opportunities. If you choose Trent/Hallam you may regret it in future.
Original post by Locutus

Trent/Hallam will be more supportive in helping you find your job as the student support and industry contacts are much stronger than the Sheffield. The Russel's commonly let you do your own thing in the sense that because you've got that recognition of 'you've got a good degree at a good uni and you may not need anything extra'. Because awarded with a degree at Trent/Hallam is not like this they give you EXTRA support so you can stand alongside in the job market with a Sheffield Uni candidate.

(Source: Granny - was a Uni lecturer at a RG :smile: )
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Locutus

Who says going to Hallam or Trent is going to get you a job? According to Unistats, 47% of Sheffield history graduates are employed with a graduate job whereas the same figures for Trent and Hallam are 35% and 30%, respectively. In the end, whether or not you get a job is determined by the quality of your degree, its relevance to the position you are applying for, current economic climate, your own job searching skills, etc. The university's reputation alone isn't going to guarantee a job, but it may help a little. And when it comes to reputation, overall teaching quality, and other such measures Sheffield is miles ahead of Trent and Hallam and that can only be a positive thing. And I agree with Kbountra - someone else's inability is in no way a reflection on the quality of the school or the degree program, it is more of a reflection on the person himself.
Reply 6
Original post by sophiekatina
Trent/Hallam will be more supportive in helping you find your job as the student support and industry contacts are much stronger than the Sheffield. The Russel's commonly let you do your own thing in the sense that because you've got that recognition of 'you've got a good degree at a good uni and you may not need anything extra'. Because awarded with a degree at Trent/Hallam is not like this they give you EXTRA support so you can stand alongside in the job market with a Sheffield Uni candidate.

(Source: Granny - was a Uni lecturer at a RG :smile: )

You are so incorrect. Sheffield has excellent services for helping students develop their future careers. They have a whole separate Careers Service, which is always running workshops, talks, seminars, meetings between students and industry reps, etc. In fact, they make you aware of all the help and possibilities the CS offers pretty much the second you set your foot on campus and you're required to attend these career development lecture things as part of your program and they start on the very first week of the semester (case in point - the department of APS, so differences may exist). So how's that for extra support?
Original post by Peregrinum
You are so incorrect. Sheffield has excellent services for helping students develop their future careers. They have a whole separate Careers Service, which is always running workshops, talks, seminars, meetings between students and industry reps, etc. In fact, they make you aware of all the help and possibilities the CS offers pretty much the second you set your foot on campus and you're required to attend these career development lecture things as part of your program and they start on the very first week of the semester (case in point - the department of APS, so differences may exist). So how's that for extra support?

That's fab! I'm speaking from past experiences and what my friends are experiencing now! Glad that Sheff. isn't following the trend...
Reply 8
Easy. Sheffield!
Reply 9
Sheffield by a million miles. I'm sure it's in the RAE top 10 for History, although that's only one source's confirmation. But if you have the potential and desire to reach a more competitive institution, go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending