The Student Room Group

How to go about haggling down insurance quotes over phone

people say phone up the insurance over the phone for a chance to get lower quotes but how should I do this. Would it be something like this?

me:hello
operator:hello
me: I'm just phoning to see if you can give me a lower quote than that of a previous insurance company?

Do I just ask the operator as soon as s/he answers the phone or do I need to say something else first?

Scroll to see replies

You get them to give you a quote, so you run through all your details with them and they will give you a quote.

Then you bring up that somebody else, make sure you mention the name of an insurer, and say that they have given you a quote for £x, where x is a bit lower than you have just been quoted, and ask if they can beat it.
Reply 2
I think girls should have to pay more than men because they are bad drivers, and shouldn't be allowed to drive at all as they clog up the road and should leave driving, working, going to the gym etc to the man (who has had that role throughout evolution) women are supposed to make dinner and look after the kids.
Reply 3
Yeah you need to go through all the details first. But seeing as you are a new driver I wouldn't get your hopes up too much, you have no history to haggle with.
Original post by FXX
Yeah you need to go through all the details first. But seeing as you are a new driver I wouldn't get your hopes up too much, you have no history to haggle with.

but if you get a few quotes together beforehand which are lower, thats what you use to get the price down :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by CalmDownMrRooney
but if you get a few quotes together beforehand which are lower, thats what you use to get the price down :smile:

Maybe but they're more likely to say 'no we can't do any better than that I'm afraid'. A few quid on a £1000+ policy isn't much to shout about.
Original post by Grinning
I think girls should have to pay more than men because they are bad drivers, and shouldn't be allowed to drive at all as they clog up the road and should leave driving, working, going to the gym etc to the man (who has had that role throughout evolution) women are supposed to make dinner and look after the kids.

who would pick them up from school/nursery?
Original post by FXX
Maybe but they're more likely to say 'no we can't do any better than that I'm afraid'. A few quid on a £1000+ policy isn't much to shout about.

if you save even £100 off a £2000 policy its worth taking a whole day ringing round a load of companies. and as you say, you've got nothing to lose, but perhaps alot to gain :biggrin:
Original post by mackemforever
You get them to give you a quote, so you run through all your details with them and they will give you a quote.

Then you bring up that somebody else, make sure you mention the name of an insurer, and say that they have given you a quote for £x, where x is a bit lower than you have just been quoted, and ask if they can beat it.

Yeah- do this. It doesnt matter if you actually do have a lower quote or not, just tell them that so there is a chance of them giving you a lower quote. They wont know if you do have a lower quote or not.
Reply 9
Original post by Mark!91
people say phone up the insurance over the phone for a chance to get lower quotes but how should I do this. Would it be something like this?

me:hello
operator:hello
me: I'm just phoning to see if you can give me a lower quote than that of a previous insurance company?

Do I just ask the operator as soon as s/he answers the phone or do I need to say something else first?

When the operator says hello(or introduces themselves) just say something along the lines of:
"Hello, I'm just phoning up to get a insurance quote"
"Hello, I am interested in insuring my car and I'm calling up to receive an insurance quote"

When I called companies up to insure my car I said.
"Hiya, I've just recently bought my first car and I'm looking for insurance and I was wondering if you could give me a insurance quote please"

There's no right or wrong way to speak to them. All you simply need to do is ask for an insurance quote, then the operator will take you through the rest.
Reply 10
Original post by Emma:-)
Yeah- do this. It doesnt matter if you actually do have a lower quote or not, just tell them that so there is a chance of them giving you a lower quote. They wont know if you do have a lower quote or not.

Just wanted to ask if they still lower quotes even if its just a monthly payment over the phone? if the quote is £300 a month how much cheaper do you think they can get it for me over the phone?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Mark!91

Just wanted to ask if they still lower quotes even if its just a monthly payment over the phone? if the quote is £300 a month how much cheaper do you think they can get it for me over the phone? xx

I don't see any of us being owners of insurance companies, so there's only one way for you to find out.

EDIT: dayum, neg repped for the obvious. Ok OP, you should be able to save about £7.32 a month by haggling.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
You need this guy...

Original post by haleem
You need this guy...

whenever i use money supermarket their cheapest quote is always more expensive than, for example the quotes from go compare man
Reply 14
whenever i use money supermarket their cheapest quote is always more expensive than, for example the quotes from go compare man

Well none of them are accurate so I wouldn't be too disheartened.
Original post by FXX
Well none of them are accurate so I wouldn't be too disheartened.

when you get a quote from a price comparison site you can click through to buy the policy, so they must be accurate :confused:
Reply 16
when you get a quote from a price comparison site you can click through to buy the policy, so they must be accurate :confused:

Except you can get cheaper quotes if you phone direct and you usually don't get quotes from dozens of companies.
Reply 17
In my experience it is cheaper getting quotes online. Some of the top insurance companies offer discounts when ordering online, because it is less work for them. But to be safe you could compare rates online, pick the best offer and try a local agency to see if they can match it or do better.

I recommend this site for online comparing: http://www.quotes-center.com/auto-insurance-calculator
Original post by brian964
I recommend this site for online comparing: http://www.quotes-center.com/auto-insurance-calculator

that site is american :confused:
Reply 19
Hello everybody i am American and i'm from America and America is well I'm from London:

Shut it you muppet:eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending