The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1160
A couple of feet?! :eek: oh dear, might have to copy you on the boxes etc!! thanks for replying :smile:
I see you do psychology, can I ask roughly how many hours of lectures you have/how are the lecturers/workload? Sorry to bombard you with questions!
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by kpwxx
I considered that before I applied, but I ended up thinking that if I was 5 minutes closer to lectures, I'd probably just end up decided that meant I could sleep for 5 more minutes ><

I woke up in the village 10 minutes before my very first 9am lecture, I've never moved so fast in my life but I actually made it lol.

That's also a very good point...

I live about 10 minutes away from my current school and I'm nearly always late or rushing because I think I can sleep for a bit longer. When I went to college 45 minutes away, I always got there half an hour early.

*considers village again*
Original post by Katy09
A couple of feet?! :eek: oh dear, might have to copy you on the boxes etc!! thanks for replying :smile:
I see you do psychology, can I ask roughly how many hours of lectures you have/how are the lecturers/workload? Sorry to bombard you with questions!

Haha it's fine, I've got an exam tomorrow and I'm bored to death learning about statistics. We have about 7-8 hours of lectures per week. It looks like more next year, though. Obviously we have that many because we're intended to do quite a lot of reading outside lectures, but it's up to you how much you do. I don't do half as much as I should, and I seem to get by pretty well (and I'm still in the 'it's first year, it's much more important to settle in, go out and do interesting stuff than just study all the time...' which I suspect will probably transfer into next year, too). We get the whole of Wednesdays and Fridays off, which are the pain perks of the timetable, as the big nights out in the week are Tuesdays and Thursdays :biggrin:
Does anyone know what the differences are between an ensuite room and ensuite premium room are? Also out of the ensuite and ensuite premium houses which are the best ones?
Original post by Pharm2011
Does anyone know what the differences are between an ensuite room and ensuite premium room are? Also out of the ensuite and ensuite premium houses which are the best ones?

Hi, the ensuite premium rooms are the ones on campus and the plain ensuite are in the village.
I think they're premium cause they're right on campus and have no long walk to lectures etc.
Original post by goofy-blues
Hi, the ensuite premium rooms are the ones on campus and the plain ensuite are in the village.
I think they're premium cause they're right on campus and have no long walk to lectures etc.

The website says that the non premium have shower pods instead of shower rooms, what's the difference.

Thanks.

Also the actual rooms in the ensuite premium are bigger, and the flat itself is bigger (you live with more people)
The website says that the non premium have shower pods instead of shower rooms, what's the difference.

Thanks.

I was just reading from the accommodation guide I was sent... I don't know for sure but I think... that a shower pod is like a self enclosed shower with a door on it so you don't get the floor wet and a shower room is just a shower in your bathroom that means it's open to the whole bathroom.
Original post by goofy-blues
I was just reading from the accommodation guide I was sent... I don't know for sure but I think... that a shower pod is like a self enclosed shower with a door on it so you don't get the floor wet and a shower room is just a shower in your bathroom that means it's open to the whole bathroom.

Would you say the Ensuite premium is worth the extra or not?
Would you say the Ensuite premium is worth the extra or not?

to be honest I have no idea as I am not there yet! I'm kind of leaning towards the standard rooms in the big triangle buildings but I don't know.
It depends how picky you are about tidy bathroom etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1170

Thanks.

goofy-blues

Yeah, as goofy-blues says, the campus ensuites are just like a normal ensuite bathroom- toilet shower and sink. The village ones are tiny, the room is like the size of a really large shower. They have a curtain in to stop water going everywhere from the shower, but the whole floor is plastic so it can all get wet.

It's really hard to explain- in my student handbook from first year someone described it as 'the only place you can shower, go to the loo and brush your teeth all at the same time' lol. I was pretty concerned that it was so small before I moved in but when I moved in I actually decided I loved it, the size really is pretty convenient! However if you really want space in the bathroom it's probably not for you. Not that the campus ensuite are massive but they're more normal.

You can just see in to the village pod in this pic http://www.ueaaccommodation.com/media/images/gallery/village/village006.html and here is a full view, taken from the door :smile: http://www.ueaaccommodation.com/media/images/gallery/village/village002.html

xxxxx
Original post by kpwxx
Yeah, as goofy-blues says, the campus ensuites are just like a normal ensuite bathroom- toilet shower and sink. The village ones are tiny, the room is like the size of a really large shower. They have a curtain in to stop water going everywhere from the shower, but the whole floor is plastic so it can all get wet.

It's really hard to explain- in my student handbook from first year someone described it as 'the only place you can shower, go to the loo and brush your teeth all at the same time' lol. I was pretty concerned that it was so small before I moved in but when I moved in I actually decided I loved it, the size really is pretty convenient! However if you really want space in the bathroom it's probably not for you. Not that the campus ensuite are massive but they're more normal.

You can just see in to the village pod in this pic http://www.ueaaccommodation.com/media/images/gallery/village/village006.html and here is a full view, taken from the door :smile: http://www.ueaaccommodation.com/media/images/gallery/village/village002.html

xxxxx

From the pictures I've seen the campus ensuite doesn't look much more different than the ones in the village- except slightly bigger.
Reply 1172
Hey all!!! I am a first year UEA student!
All of the accommodation is lovely at UEA, and obviously most of you will want to be in campus accomm when you go, but honestly, the village and Mary chapman court are amazing- because you're not on campus, you make such good relationships with the people you live with and you will have the time of your lives!! I was unfortunate to get in with some pretty nasty people in the first few weeks, but now I am friends with everyone I live with- so for those of you who may be looking for some advice, don't feel put out if you don't get your first choices (most of you won't) and just embrace the experience because trust me when i say, you will be having the time of your lives wherever you go!
Good luck with your exams and I hope you all get into whichever Uni's you so desire!!

Becca
How close to Campus are the non premium ensuite rooms?

Also which house should I choose in the village, e.g. which is the best/most luxurious?

Also which house should I choose in the village, e.g. which is the best/most luxurious?

About a 10 minute walk. But bear in mind that you could have a similar walk for the on campus en-suites, depending on which place you're allocated to and where the majority of your lectures are held.

And you can't choose specific houses/buildings anywhere at UEA. You choose a type of building (i.e. en-suite campus/village/standard etc) and then you're allocated a building.
Reply 1175

Yeah you cant choose a specific house in the village. And don't be worried about getting the ones that are a bit further away (pine, hawthorn and willow). I was allocated pine and really thought that it would be a lot quieter and not much going on. However what I have experienced this yr is far from that - the house (4 flats) all mix and go out together, there's always someone in the kitchen.
Reply 1176
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
About a 10 minute walk. But bear in mind that you could have a similar walk for the on campus en-suites, depending on which place you're allocated to and where the majority of your lectures are held.

And you can't choose specific houses/buildings anywhere at UEA. You choose a type of building (i.e. en-suite campus/village/standard etc) and then you're allocated a building.

do they allocate people according to the course they're doing?
also can you ask to be put somewhere else if you don't like the accommodation you get allocated to?
Original post by Namdeep
do they allocate people according to the course they're doing?
also can you ask to be put somewhere else if you don't like the accommodation you get allocated to?

I'm pretty sure they mix people randomy except the health course students (so medics, nurses)- this is what the Accomodation office person said.

And you can probally be put on a waiting list to change once you get to the uni, but you have to accept the offer your given.
Reply 1178
Original post by jelly1000
I'm pretty sure they mix people randomy except the health course students (so medics, nurses)- this is what the Accomodation office person said.

And you can probally be put on a waiting list to change once you get to the uni, but you have to accept the offer your given.

Ah right thanks for your help...:smile:
Bit of a n00bish question (:tongue:) but how do you pay for accommodation? In monthly installments? Or one lump sum at the start of the year?

Latest

Trending

Trending