The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wanderlust.xx

So... if my teachers weren't lying... the answer is 2 and 288. :p:

They just said that to get you off their backs. In your absence they were probably like: " what an annoying little turd - told her both were right to shut her up" HAHAHAHA
Original post by Jonty99
lol you must be trolling.

Division and multiplication are equal in preference.

i hope you are trolling if you are vying for this guy:s-smilie:. What would be the point of BODMAS then then if D and M, A and S were the same? I was taught bodmas is strictly division then multiplication, add, then subraction. even the textbooks said u had to do it in that order.

You are trolling right? :s-smilie:
Original post by blue_shift86
crappest sources ever. They've probably been written by noobs who barely got through GCSE's and decided to be a popular kiddy maths writers. They should be banned from teaching - they're teaching kids incorrect things! I maintain my stand: show me a credible source - only one of those sources supports what you say about multiplication and division having equal precedence, and even that seems to have been written by some GCSE failing noob.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations

All of my sources imply that multiplication and division are equal - they state that you do the brackets, then the indices, then the multiplication from left to right, then the addition and subtraction from left to right. Not that many credible sources will teach this as it is pre-GCSE (or equivalent) maths - instead they focus on the more advanced maths.
Original post by theciz
I'm pretty sure I'd put the answer is 2. Since in BODMAS you do the brackets first, and the 2 is touching the brackets with no sign in between, I would consider applying the two (ie. 2 x 12) a part of simplifying the brackets, so the answer's two. If it was (48÷2)(9+3) I'd see how it'd be 288, but otherwise :s-smilie:

Female intuition :rolleyes: LOL!!!!!!
i hope you are trolling if you are vying for this guy:s-smilie:. What would be the point of BODMAS then then if D and M, A and S were the same? I was taught bodmas is strictly division then multiplication, add, then subraction. even the textbooks said u had to do it in that order.

You are trolling right? :s-smilie:

D and M are the same in preference.
A and S are the same in preference.

6+6-2 is the same as 6-2+6
Original post by andrewmc96
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations

All of my sources imply that multiplication and division are equal - they state that you do the brackets, then the indices, then the multiplication from left to right, then the addition and subtraction from left to right. Not that many credible sources will teach this as it is pre-GCSE (or equivalent) maths - instead they focus on the more advanced maths.

that's clearly an article about computer language C and all that. And I read somewhere that in computer languages the operators are the same but not in maths per say. So I'm still not buying your argument.
Original post by Jonty99
D and M are the same in preference.
A and S are the same in preference.

6+6-2 is the same as 6-2+6

now try that with division and tell me it works just as well.
anyhow i'm bored of this thread - read over 100 posts :eek: - i need to get a job, lol
now try that with division and tell me it works just as well.

Which is why you work from left to right for multiplication and division. Division essentially is just multiplying something by a fraction.
Original post by planetconwy1
You mean BODMAS?

Eh?

I put it down to a silly question ages ago.
I mean come on.

just how long is this thread X_x.
i got 2
that's clearly an article about computer language C and all that. And I read somewhere that in computer languages the operators are the same but not in maths per say. So I'm still not buying your argument.

Okay then, let's see who agrees with me.

Anyone agree with me that division and multiplication are on the same level and are worked from left to right?
(edited 13 years ago)
If it were 48/2 x (9+3) surely the notation would be 48(9+3)/2 not 48/2(9+3)
crappest sources ever. They've probably been written by noobs who barely got through GCSE's and decided to be a popular kiddy maths writers. They should be banned from teaching - they're teaching kids incorrect things! I maintain my stand: show me a credible source - only one of those sources supports what you say about multiplication and division having equal precedence, and even that seems to have been written by some GCSE failing noob.

No he's right, they are on the same level.

BIDMAS is just as correctly written as BIMDAS, or even BIMDSA

HOWEVER, once you have used BIDMAS, if there is any further argument, you must work out values from left to right.
Reply 654
Original post by andrewmc96
Okay then, let's see who agrees with me.

Anyone agree with me that division and multiplication are equal and are worked from left to right?

Democracy isn't a good way to do maths (especially when the respondents are probably just clueless and making a guess), and making up rules isn't a good thing to do if you want to get anywhere in the subject. The rule "work from left to right" is nonstandard, so writing something like 18÷6÷3 is ambiguous (it could be 1 or 9); the same thing happened in the OP.
Original post by bloomblaze
I thought it would be 288 if the expression read (48/2)(9+3) ie brackets, but without brackets around the first bit it would be 2.

Anyone with me?? Or am i talking nonsense?

Type -3^2 on your calculator.
If it's similar to most of the calculators I've ever owned it will come up with -9. As we all know this isn't right. :biggrin:
Reply 656
Dont think so... try again
Original post by nuodai
Democracy isn't a good way to do maths (especially when the respondents are probably just clueless and making a guess), and making up rules isn't a good thing to do if you want to get anywhere in the subject. The rule "work from left to right" is nonstandard, so writing something like 18÷6÷3 is ambiguous (it could be 1 or 9); the same thing happened in the OP.

I know but I cant find any other credible sources that explicitly state that "multiplication and division are on the same level and are worked from left to right".
Original post by Scribblet
Type -3^2 on your calculator.
If it's similar to most of the calculators I've ever owned it will come up with -9. As we all know this isn't right. :biggrin:

That is right, unless you have invented imaginary brackets and put them around the -3.
Reply 659
Original post by SsEe
Brackets first:
48 / 2 * 12
Then do multiplication and division from left to right.
48 / 2 = 24.
24 * 12 = 288

That's actually really odd because about 2 hours ago I was talking to someone about mental arithmetic and the question he randomly picked was 24 * 12.

That sounds right

Latest