The Student Room Group

Warwick vs Durham?

Hello everyone!

I got offers from Warwick (BBB), Durham (ABB)+ general studies, studying Sociology.

Not sure which university is the best?

in terms of:

1) The course itself
2) Employment
3) UK reputation
4) World reputation
5) Nightlife?

I went to the Warwick and Durham open evening and I really enjoyed Warwick. I personally like Durham better as a city and my college (St. Aidens) seemed nice, but I really didn't like the course at Durham, and I ended up leaving the open day knowing nothing about it.

I'm not sure, but I think Warwick has a better reputation in the UK? Although my tutor did say Durham was more highly regarded?

I like Warwick a bit better, but the grades are harder to get. Also I like the little college system Durham has.

Thanks! Please feel free to give me some guidance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Eh, I'd say they're both amazing Universities (not at all biased going to Durham in October :biggrin:) with good reputations in nice locations :smile:

Well done on getting offers for both! You should pick the one that's best for your course, after all, it's the reason you're there in the first place.

Good luck :smile:
If the offer for Warwick is BBB and Durham is ABB then surely Durham is harder to get in. :confused:
I don't udnerstand why you said Warwick is harder to get in when it gives you lower offer. Weird. lol

They both are amazing to be honest, I would go to the one you like the most. :smile:

Based on the offer and if you don't mind going to any of them, I would firm Durham because it gives you higher offer and insure Warwick.

Going to Warwick won't give you disadvantage at all. I personally think it is as good as Durham if not better. lol

If you like Warwick, go to Warwick. However, seeing as you don't like the course at Durham, do not bother going cos you will be there doing the course you dont like for 3 years!

You have nothing to lose here.

PS* Why am I getting neg repped! :frown: ...Well, it's ok. I can live.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by choly7
Hello everyone!

I got offers from Warwick (BBB), Durham (ABB)+ general studies, studying Sociology.

Not sure which university is the best?

in terms of:

1) The course itself
2) Employment
3) UK reputation
4) World reputation
5) Nightlife?

I went to the Warwick and Durham open evening and I really enjoyed Warwick. I personally like Durham better as a city and my college (St. Aidens) seemed nice, but I really didn't like the course at Durham, and I ended up leaving the open day knowing nothing about it.

I'm not sure, but I think Warwick has a better reputation in the UK? Although my tutor did say Durham was more highly regarded?

I like Warwick a bit better, but the grades are harder to get. Also I like the little college system Durham has.

Thanks! Please feel free to give me some guidance!

Warwick!! Top 3 for sociology,highest graduate employment rate for sociology, really interesting modules and amaaazing student union!!

I'm firming Warwick for sociology in case you hadn't already guessed :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mapulet
Eh, I'd say they're both amazing Universities (not at all biased going to Durham in October :biggrin:) with good reputations in nice locations :smile:

Well done on getting offers for both! You should pick the one that's best for your course, after all, it's the reason you're there in the first place.

Good luck :smile:

Ooh which college are you going to? I enjoyed St Aidens but it wasn't my first choice!

I really liked the sociology course in Warwick and didn't like it much in Durham. But my friend said I should pick which Uni I prefered because I can get used to the course.

I don't think Durham offers the same in nightlife or uni life as Warwick tho. :/
Original post by choly7
Ooh which college are you going to? I enjoyed St Aidens but it wasn't my first choice!

I really liked the sociology course in Warwick and didn't like it much in Durham. But my friend said I should pick which Uni I prefered because I can get used to the course.

I don't think Durham offers the same in nightlife or uni life as Warwick tho. :/

Anything you want to know about Durham (as in the local area, etc) feel free to ask :smile:

Personally, I'd choose Durham for the reputation. However, Durham students get on my wick and I wouldn't want to live so close to home so I'd be very tempted to choose Warwick.

Basically, they're very close. Warwick is going through a really good phase atm, very highly regarded. Go where you enjoy more. You'll get more out of it.
Reply 6
Original post by street.lovin'
If the offer for Warwick is BBB and Durham is ABB then surely Durham is harder to get in. :confused:
I don't udnerstand why you said Warwick is harder to get in when it gives you lower offer. Weird. lol

They both are amazing to be honest, I would go to the one you like the most. :smile:

Based on the offer and if you don't mind going to any of them, I would firm Durham because it gives you higher offer and insure Warwick.

Going to Warwick won't give you disadvantage at all. I personally think it is as good as Durham if not better. lol

If you like Warwick, go to Warwick. However, seeing as you don't like the course at Durham, do not bother going cos you will be there doing the course you dont like for 3 years!

You have nothing to lose here.

Durham is ABB including general studies so I have extra room to get the grades (plus general studies is super easy) :biggrin: so BBB in three subjects is harder to get than ABB in four subjects. Basically it leaves me room to fail or do worse in one subject, in order to do better in another.

I liked Warwick because at the open day you could do all sorts (like languages, salsa dancing, music lessons, random classes ect) whereas they didn't mention any of that at Durham at all.

I'm not sure whether to have any as my insurance because I'm not entirely sure I'd get the grades. I was going to have Sheffield Hallam as my insurance at CCD.
Reply 7
Well...In terms of reputation,Durham.Your tutor's right.But how does Warwick have the harder offer?...

Personally,I would go for Durham lol but it's up to you.
Reply 8
Original post by choly7

I'm going to Hildbede :smile: I put down St John's originally, but I really like Hildbede on the open day :smile:

The nightlife in Durham consists mainly of pubs as far as I can see, but Newcastle/Sunderland have more going on and they're fairly close (not very, but close enough if you reaaally wanted to go out properly).

Just pick the one you like the best, seriously, they're both fantastic Universities :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by laujan3
Warwick!! Top 3 for sociology,highest graduate employment rate for sociology, really interesting modules and amaaazing student union!!

I'm firming Warwick for sociology in case you hadn't already guessed :wink:

That's true :/ makes this decision even harder! My tutor basically said Durham because it has 'higher value' or something along those lines.

I prefered the Warwick open day more than the Durham one though!
Reply 10
Original post by ilickbatteries
Anything you want to know about Durham (as in the local area, etc) feel free to ask :smile:

Personally, I'd choose Durham for the reputation. However, Durham students get on my wick and I wouldn't want to live so close to home so I'd be very tempted to choose Warwick.

Basically, they're very close. Warwick is going through a really good phase atm, very highly regarded. Go where you enjoy more. You'll get more out of it.

Do you know much about St Aidens? I get what you mean about students getting on your nerves, at the open day there was a few stuck up/snobby people so I didn't really feel too comfortable, especially because there were a few who didn't rate 'sociology' as a degree. D:

I think reputation is one of the most important things for me. Do you know much about the sociology department at Durham?
They're saying Durham has a better reputation. It doesn't really. Only if you were going to start splitting hairs would you think Durham was an improvement over Warwick.

Go to the place you felt most comfortable was what I was told. For the top 20 or so institutions, the degree is more or less the same. You will do better where you feel more comfortable though. If you say you like the look of the extra curriculars/societies (and I know Warwick has LOADS! Look at their Jailbreak society. I'd go just for that :biggrin:). Durham however looks like a nicer city, and Coventry's meant to be a s***hole (although there are plenty of smaller, nicer places around about, so it's no real issue for when you move out in year 2).

It's your call. If you end up at either you've done well for yourself.
Original post by choly7
Hello everyone!

Hello! I was in your exact same position two years ago, with offers from both Durham and Warwick for sociology!

In the end I chose Warwick, because a) their course was bigger and b) they offered Japanese modules as part of the degree, which was a massive selling point for me. I ended up going on a year abroad to Tokyo with Warwick!

I can't speak for the student vibe/nightlife of Durham, but Warwick's caters adequately for 20,000 students with Birmingham and Leamington Spa nearby for nights out.

Warwick's Sociology course was ranked 2nd best in the UK (after Cambridge)
and Warwick is the 2nd best (after Cambs) in terms of graduate prospects for a Sociology degree.

However Durham is much older, and has an ancient reputation from like 600 years ago, and has an 'Oxbridge of the North' kind of vibe, with balls and formals. so it's really down to personal preference.

Warwick's course is massive, (I don't mean student numbers - there's only about 300 of us in the entire department) but there are over 26 modules to pick from (versus I think about 18 at Durham) so you can really tailor your degree to reflect your interests.

I wouldn't really let the entry requirements trick you into thinking Durham has more intelligent students or the course is harder - they mostly reflect the competition to get into the course, and the majority of students at Warwick have over BBB anyway (I had AAAB when I applied)
Original post by choly7
Durham is ABB including general studies so I have extra room to get the grades (plus general studies is super easy) :biggrin: so BBB in three subjects is harder to get than ABB in four subjects. Basically it leaves me room to fail or do worse in one subject, in order to do better in another.

I'm not sure whether to have any as my insurance because I'm not entirely sure I'd get the grades. I was going to have Sheffield Hallam as my insurance at CCD.

Ahh, I see. :smile:

What are your grades like?

Putting either Durham and Warwick as your firm and SHU as your insurance would be like a big big drop if you really care about uni reputation. However, go to where you want to. :smile:
Original post by choly7
Do you know much about St Aidens? I get what you mean about students getting on your nerves, at the open day there was a few stuck up/snobby people so I didn't really feel too comfortable, especially because there were a few who didn't rate 'sociology' as a degree. D:

I think reputation is one of the most important things for me. Do you know much about the sociology department at Durham?

I don't know a great deal about the university tbh.

I was going to apply to Durham but I decided I wanted to get away and tbh I don't even know if I'd have got university accommodation (some unis dont give accom to students with postcodes close to the university) so it wasn't for me.

The soc department is in quite a nice part of Durham though :smile:

Old Elvet, if you want to google map it.

I find that a few students come across as stuck up and snobby. The vast majority are very nice and polite but there are some who aren't. The town/gown relationship isn't exactly brilliant either, quite a few young people in Durham have a bit of a resentment towards Durham uni students.

Although I think you'll find the same attitudes towards sociology wherever you go. It's a very misunderstood course, people often confuse it with social care or social work.

At times its a very philosophical, thought provoking course that requires a great deal of thought...
Reply 15
Original post by JayTeeKay
They're saying Durham has a better reputation. It doesn't really. Only if you were going to start splitting hairs would you think Durham was an improvement over Warwick.

Go to the place you felt most comfortable was what I was told. For the top 20 or so institutions, the degree is more or less the same. You will do better where you feel more comfortable though. If you say you like the look of the extra curriculars/societies (and I know Warwick has LOADS! Look at their Jailbreak society. I'd go just for that :biggrin:). Durham however looks like a nicer city, and Coventry's meant to be a s***hole (although there are plenty of smaller, nicer places around about, so it's no real issue for when you move out in year 2).

I prefered Warwick uni because of all the socities and things they offered, and the course seemed much more interesting but everyone keeps mentioning Durham as better. I'm very conflicted haha! When I went to the Durham open evening no one mentioned any socities or anything :/
Original post by JayTeeKay

I disagree.

Durham has a world-beating reputation. It's not necessarily a better university (I think Warwick is far better for things like engineering and mathematics) but I think Durham's reputation is way out ahead of Warwick's.
Original post by choly7
I prefered Warwick uni because of all the socities and things they offered, and the course seemed much more interesting but everyone keeps mentioning Durham as better. I'm very conflicted haha! When I went to the Durham open evening no one mentioned any socities or anything :/

Why not ask some Durham students about societies they offer? Maybe you dont like it cos you dontk now about it yet? Go to Durham uni forum and ask! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by choly7
That's true :/ makes this decision even harder! My tutor basically said Durham because it has 'higher value' or something along those lines.

I prefered the Warwick open day more than the Durham one though!

I'm so indecisive, I feel for you having to make this decision, I've only just managed to bring myself to decide !!

However... I think Durham and Warwick are fairly equal in terms of 'value', I doubt employers would favour a Durham degree over a Warwick degree, although I have no evidence or real knowledge, just my opinion :tongue:...
You said that you would prefer the course at Warwick so I think you should go somewhere that you would be the happiest you could be and studying a course that you will enjoy.. 3 years is a long time :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by screenager2004
Hello! I was in your exact same position two years ago, with offers from both Durham and Warwick for sociology!

In the end I chose Warwick, because a) their course was bigger and b) they offered Japanese modules as part of the degree, which was a massive selling point for me. I ended up going on a year abroad to Tokyo with Warwick!

I can't speak for the student vibe/nightlife of Durham, but Warwick's caters adequately for 20,000 students with Birmingham and Leamington Spa nearby for nights out.

Warwick's Sociology course was ranked 2nd best in the UK (after Cambridge)
and Warwick is the 2nd best (after Cambs) in terms of graduate prospects for a Sociology degree.

However Durham is much older, and has an ancient reputation from like 600 years ago, and has an 'Oxbridge of the North' kind of vibe, with balls and formals. so it's really down to personal preference.

Warwick's course is massive, (I don't mean student numbers - there's only about 300 of us in the entire department) but there are over 26 modules to pick from (versus I think about 18 at Durham) so you can really tailor your degree to reflect your interests.

I wouldn't really let the entry requirements trick you into thinking Durham has more intelligent students or the course is harder - they mostly reflect the competition to get into the course, and the majority of students at Warwick have over BBB anyway (I had AAAB when I applied)

Oh that's another thing too! I really liked the idea of going abroad to study and as far as I gathered Durham didn't offer that.

The college that I'm going to in Durham doesn't have formals or balls (which I would have loved :frown: ! ) they do fancy-dress or informal things instead, which I can't decide if I like more or not haha.

Not much was mentioned about night life at the Warwick open evening, and some of the open evening people said they didn't rate it much? I'm a clubbing sort of person so will I enjoy myself there? Is it easy to get to Birmingham?

Eee dear!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending