The Student Room Group

Warwick vs Durham?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by street.lovin'
Why not ask some Durham students about societies they offer? Maybe you dont like it cos you dontk now about it yet? Go to Durham uni forum and ask! :smile:

That's a good idea! Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 21
Original post by choly7

Original post by choly7
I liked Warwick because at the open day you could do all sorts (like languages, salsa dancing, music lessons, random classes ect) whereas they didn't mention any of that at Durham at all.

Can't comment on the department because I know nothing about it, but Durham definitely does have plenty of societies.

Just have a look here: http://www.dsu.org.uk/minisites/?cat_id=1505
The language department runs a languages for all scheme where you can pay to have lessons in a language outside your course. There's currently a salsa class run in Aidan's on a Tuesday evening which was really good when I went. The uni doesn't provide music lessons, though if you wanted to learn something the music department does provide a list of teachers, and there are plenty of societies involving music from non-auditioning to a very high level. I'm not sure what you mean by random classes, but a lot of departments put on seminars that anyone's welcome to go to.
Reply 22
Ahh, I see. :smile:

What are your grades like?

Putting either Durham and Warwick as your firm and SHU as your insurance would be like a big big drop if you really care about uni reputation. However, go to where you want to. :smile:

Last year I got ABBB (as) an this year I'm predicted A*, A and B (sociology, psychology, english language) not including general studies. In the most recent exams I got a C, B, B, C in Sociology, Psychology, General Studies and English Language. I can still achieve my grades as long as I keep consisant in my work load.
I'm resitting Sociology, English Language and General Studies.
I need 4 more marks in the next exam (out of 120) to get a B, I need to get 56 marks out of either 80 or 120 in the Psychology exam to get a B and I've got a B/C (depending on coursework) in English Language, but I'm not sure about exact marks.
Sorry about the detail but it looks like the grades I need for either are deffo do-able but I'm not entirely sure.

:/
Original post by choly7
Oh that's another thing too! I really liked the idea of going abroad to study and as far as I gathered Durham didn't offer that.

The college that I'm going to in Durham doesn't have formals or balls (which I would have loved :frown: ! ) they do fancy-dress or informal things instead, which I can't decide if I like more or not haha.

Not much was mentioned about night life at the Warwick open evening, and some of the open evening people said they didn't rate it much? I'm a clubbing sort of person so will I enjoy myself there? Is it easy to get to Birmingham?

Eee dear!

There's a LOT of clubbing at Warwick!

There's the Student Union (Copper rooms) they have different themed nights on pretty much all week. The big student nights are Monday and Wednesday and on the weekends people will go out to the city for their nights out. Copper rooms also hosts gigs (We've had Mark Ronson, Tinchy Stryder, Pendulum, Plan B and Feeder recently)

Some of the really popular clubs include Smack in Leam, Kasbah, Koko's, there's tons of bars and pubs about too!

Some people (including myself if I'm totally honest) don't like clubbing that much but that's what Societies are for! You can go out and have a good night out whatever your interests are. If you're into Salsa then you can join the Salsa society and they will practice their dancing once or twice a week and a few times a term they'll all go out together as a group.
Reply 24
Original post by choly7

Original post by choly7
The college that I'm going to in Durham doesn't have formals or balls (which I would have loved :frown: ! ) they do fancy-dress or informal things instead, which I can't decide if I like more or not haha.

Aidan's does have formals, it's just that the formals always have a theme, which often involves fancy dress (there are however limits to how many fancy dress formals we can have, so others are just themed and you're supposed to dress smartly).
All colleges have balls, the summer and jingle balls are black tie, (so as formal as you're going to get at uni), and you can usually figure out a theme for the informal ball that can be smart too.
Durham for sure, that's also because I'm going there this fall. :woo:
However, you should pick where you are comfortable at. Where do you think you'd enjoy more? Warwick or Durham?
Apparently the nightlife at Warwick is not very rated highly. People associate it with Coventry, which is quite depressing to be honest. ....... Not sure though.

No one goes out in Coventry for nights out. It's all about Leamington Spa. I've been here for two years and I've been to cov for clubbing once. No one goes there!
Original post by choly7
Last year I got ABBB (as) an this year I'm predicted A*, A and B (sociology, psychology, english language) not including general studies. In the most recent exams I got a C, B, B, C in Sociology, Psychology, General Studies and English Language. I can still achieve my grades as long as I keep consisant in my work load.
I'm resitting Sociology, English Language and General Studies.
I need 4 more marks in the next exam (out of 120) to get a B, I need to get 56 marks out of either 80 or 120 in the Psychology exam to get a B and I've got a B/C (depending on coursework) in English Language, but I'm not sure about exact marks.
Sorry about the detail but it looks like the grades I need for either are deffo do-able but I'm not entirely sure.

:/

You know what, I really don't want you to risk yourself putting SHU as your insurance. I am not even being snobby. I just believe that someone with grades like yours could do better somewhere else even if you don't get into your firm (be it Warwick or Durham).... If you really like Warwick then firm Warwick... Although, Durham gives you the offer of ABB which is higher, with the inclusion of General Studies (if you are determined to get an A in it) should make it acceptable to put Durham as insurance. My friend did the same thing for Leicester and Sheffield. She had exactly the same problem and offers as yours just at differnt uni. She firmed Leicester and insure Sheffield despite it having higher offer (but it includes General Studies which makes it easier).... So yeah...

Many people might think I am being snobby here. I am just expressing what I think, that's all.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by choly7
Ooh which college are you going to? I enjoyed St Aidens but it wasn't my first choice!

I really liked the sociology course in Warwick and didn't like it much in Durham. But my friend said I should pick which Uni I prefered because I can get used to the course.

I don't think Durham offers the same in nightlife or uni life as Warwick tho. :/

Warwick is a campus uni quite far outside Coventry, Durham you can walk to the nightlife! In the time it takes to get to Coventry, you could get a train from Durham to Newcastle (12 mins) and then get a bus back or the first train at half 4 (or a taxi for about £5/person).

Durham has 4 clubs and the student union has 2 club nights a week, plus there are 14 college bars in Durham city, the debating union's bar (open to all students), and a lot of other bars and pubs in Durham too. Plus the collegiate nature means you'll never ever be bored!

You can view the course here: www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook - it shows you each module so you can see exactly what you'll learn, how much coursework/exams there are, and how much choice you will have in your module choice. :smile:
Original post by screenager2004
No one goes out in Coventry for nights out. It's all about Leamington Spa. I've been here for two years and I've been to cov for clubbing once. No one goes there!

Ok! :smile:

Sorry for the wrong information! :smile:
Original post by choly7
I prefered Warwick uni because of all the socities and things they offered, and the course seemed much more interesting but everyone keeps mentioning Durham as better. I'm very conflicted haha! When I went to the Durham open evening no one mentioned any socities or anything :/

Durham's not really that much better. It gives that impression because it's in a castle and it's been around x hundred many more years than Warwick, but each uni as as good as the other really. If you're shallow/silly enough to think that older = better then by all means pick Durham, but really it should be more about where you feel comfortable. If you feel more comfortable in the older architecture than you do in Warwick's newer stuff, then Durham would be the one.
It's probably also worth pointing out that Warwick's accommodation can be very cheap. I know my loan/grant would barely cover my accommodation at the college at Durham, whereas I get over £2'500 for the Warwick college I've chosen (Durham was self-catered, but even considering that it's still damn expensive).

Original post by ilickbatteries
I disagree.

Durham has a world-beating reputation. It's not necessarily a better university (I think Warwick is far better for things like engineering and mathematics) but I think Durham's reputation is way out ahead of Warwick's.

Warwick also has a world-beating reputation. It beats Durham on the world stage I think you'll find. Domestically they're about the same. Durham is ahead some years, but it wasn't too long ago that Warwick was ahead. There isn't really anything between them, unless you subscribe to the view that the older the place, the better it is, which is rubbish in my opinion. Unless you're really splitting hairs, Durham and Warwick are pretty much equal prestige-wise. In my opinion at least.
Original post by choly7
That's a good idea! Thanks! :biggrin:

Durham has 100s of societies...if you go on here you can see most of them here but there are other ones too! http://www.dsu.org.uk/minisites/?cat_id=1505

If you're interested in particular ones (and ones that aren't on the list) then definitely post in the Durham forum so you can get some answers. :smile: Also you can always set one up yourself, it's really easy to do that.
I met someone on my Durham open day who was at Warick last year but left because it was in the middle of nowhere and was too quiet. :tongue:

But seriously, just go where you geniunely think you would be happiest. Don't think about employment prospects or reputation or any of that crap, at the end of the day you have to live there for three years.
Original post by JayTeeKay
Durham's not really that much better. It gives that impression because it's in a castle and it's been around x hundred many more years than Warwick, but each uni as as good as the other really. If you're shallow/silly enough to think that older = better then by all means pick Durham, but really it should be more about where you feel comfortable. If you feel more comfortable in the older architecture than you do in Warwick's newer stuff, then Durham would be the one.
It's probably also worth pointing out that Warwick's accommodation can be very cheap. I know my loan/grant would barely cover my accommodation at the college at Durham, whereas I get over £2'500 for the Warwick college I've chosen (Durham was self-catered, but even considering that it's still damn expensive).

Warwick also has a world-beating reputation. It beats Durham on the world stage I think you'll find. Domestically they're about the same. Durham is ahead some years, but it wasn't too long ago that Warwick was ahead. There isn't really anything between them, unless you subscribe to the view that the older the place, the better it is, which is rubbish in my opinion. Unless you're really splitting hairs, Durham and Warwick are pretty much equal prestige-wise. In my opinion at least.

Durham accommodation is expensive for the first year yes - catered in £5000. But that does include 21 meals a week and you really do get a lot for your money: sports facilities in your college, college library, use of college facilities (eg computer room, dance/music studios, etc.) for all 3 years. Also there are loads of opportunities to get involved in societies/sports clubs in college, so you don't have to be a national level athlete to play sport, you can never have played sports before and still have a go. And having so many clubs and societies - and a JCR - means there are so, so many opportunities to get on a committee and develop loads of skills, meet new people and add things to your cv. :smile:
Original post by JayTeeKay

Warwick isn't even in the top 200 world universities according to the Times. Durham is 85th.

That said, I don't place much faith in league tables.

Durham does certainly have more prestige though. If you stopped the average man or woman on the street, and asked them to name as many universities as they could in 30 seconds, they'd probably say

Oxford
Cambridge
Durham
St. Andrews

and then a few local ones depending on where you asked people.

Durham is a more prestigious university than Warwick. I understand if you don't want to think so due to going to Warwick.

Warwick is f*cking fantastic, but I still think Durham is better. It'll always have that appeal to it. It'll always be the alternative to Oxbridge. Like I said, Warwick kicks Durham's arse for some subjects, but Durham is in a similar vein to Oxbridge.
Original post by angelmxxx
Durham accommodation is expensive for the first year yes - catered in £5000. But that does include 21 meals a week and you really do get a lot for your money: sports facilities in your college, college library, use of college facilities (eg computer room, dance/music studios, etc.) for all 3 years. Also there are loads of opportunities to get involved in societies/sports clubs in college, so you don't have to be a national level athlete to play sport, you can never have played sports before and still have a go. And having so many clubs and societies - and a JCR - means there are so, so many opportunities to get on a committee and develop loads of skills, meet new people and add things to your cv. :smile:

Or you can be cheap, pay 30p for a half-kilo of pasta from Tesco and some similar amounts for tinned tomatoes/onions/garlic/whatever and still have beer money left over :smile:
And I'd say anywhere offers the sports facilities and libraries etc. I was quite impressed with Warwick's actually. Over a million books in the library, the place is covered with computer rooms, they have their own arts centre, their own rock climbing wall, their own swimming pool... It's probably an advantage of both being a larger university and having so much money flowing through the place.
I'm sure Durham has similar things as well. Maybe not quite so many having a smaller student population, but I'm sure there'd be enough to keep anyone occupied. At the end of the day it's where you feel more comfortable.
Original post by ilickbatteries
Warwick isn't even in the top 200 world universities according to the Times. Durham is 85th.

That said, I don't place much faith in league tables.

Durham does certainly have more prestige though. If you stopped the average man or woman on the street, and asked them to name as many universities as they could in 30 seconds, they'd probably say

Oxford
Cambridge
Durham
St. Andrews

and then a few local ones depending on where you asked people.

Durham is a more prestigious university than Warwick. I understand if you don't want to think so due to going to Warwick.

Warwick is f*cking fantastic, but I still think Durham is better. It'll always have that appeal to it. It'll always be the alternative to Oxbridge. Like I said, Warwick kicks Durham's arse for some subjects, but Durham is in a similar vein to Oxbridge.

Ah. I was going by this: http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2010?page=0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C0%2C1

It's only in a similar vein to Oxbridge because of the collegiate system. That and it's old. That's the only reason.
I'm sure the average man or woman in the street would name places like Manchester before they got to Durham. It's good. It's one of the top unis in the country, but it is not Oxbridge and really there's nothing between the top end unis below Imperial/Oxbridge.
Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Prestige is after all only a matter of opinion.

It wasn't me who negged you by the way. Apparently if you disagree with someone, negging is the way forward, rather than discussing it like any normal human being.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 37
As someone who recently declined Warwick for Durham, I can give you my reasons, although the main reasons were course specific if I'm being honest:
More flexible course with better reputation for my subjects
The open day was very impressive (did you go? This should have given you a good idea of whether you liked it)
College system and being able to imagine myself in my
college
Not having to travel in from leamington etc. in later years
Possibly a slightly better rep overall (but this depends who you ask and really wasn't a big deciding factor)
You can't be catered at Warwick. Again, this didn't bother me but you might have a preference.

Night life seemed similar to me - both have a few clubs/bars but you'd need to travel to Newcastle/Birmingham for a big night out or shopping trip.
Overall, I would say go with the place where you think the course will be best - this is what I did. I know nothing about Sociology, so I can't really help there. I hope this has given you some stuff to consider though.
Reply 38
Original post by Folie
As someone who recently declined Warwick for Durham, I can give you my reasons, although the main reasons were course specific if I'm being honest:
More flexible course with better reputation for my subjects
The open day was very impressive (did you go? This should have given you a good idea of whether you liked it)
College system and being able to imagine myself in my
college
Not having to travel in from leamington etc. in later years
Possibly a slightly better rep overall (but this depends who you ask and really wasn't a big deciding factor)
You can't be catered at Warwick. Again, this didn't bother me but you might have a preference.

Night life seemed similar to me - both have a few clubs/bars but you'd need to travel to Newcastle/Birmingham for a big night out or shopping trip.
Overall, I would say go with the place where you think the course will be best - this is what I did. I know nothing about Sociology, so I can't really help there. I hope this has given you some stuff to consider though.

I really liked the open day for Warwick and you're right it was very impressive! It had a lot more information than Durham did about the course too and I understood it. I think I can see myself in Warwick more, but the reputation of Durham really sways me.
The other day on the news they were talking about the tuition fees, and they mentioned "prestigious universities such as Oxford and Durham blah blah", and my mum (no one has ever been to college/uni in family before) nearly had a fit because they put it in the same sentence as Oxford. I'm totally stuck really :/
Reply 39
You know what, I really don't want you to risk yourself putting SHU as your insurance. I am not even being snobby. I just believe that someone with grades like yours could do better somewhere else even if you don't get into your firm (be it Warwick or Durham).... If you really like Warwick then firm Warwick... Although, Durham gives you the offer of ABB which is higher, with the inclusion of General Studies (if you are determined to get an A in it) should make it acceptable to put Durham as insurance. My friend did the same thing for Leicester and Sheffield. She had exactly the same problem and offers as yours just at differnt uni. She firmed Leicester and insure Sheffield despite it having higher offer (but it includes General Studies which makes it easier).... So yeah...

Many people might think I am being snobby here. I am just expressing what I think, that's all.

The problem is that Warwick is asking for BBB, along with Newcastle and Leeds, and it's only Sheffield Hallam that's wanting anything less than BBB. If I get BBC then I'll be totally stuck if I don't put SHU as my insurance, because I know I won't want to reapply next year. I'm not sure really what to do?
Would it be easier for me to put Durham as an insurance then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending