The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Power limit in rooms?

Hi everyone!

I've been looking at the different rooms on the website in halls and most of them have 4 power sockets..

I was planning of bringing a computer with me which uses wayyyy more power than a laptop. I'd probably have the odd few things plugged in as well. With that and if I had a hair dryer on I can imagine it could add up a bit on occasion.

So I was wondering, is there a limit to the amount of power someone can use in there room?

Maybe a certain amount of watts at a time or a monthly allowance of kw/hrs?

Torky
I don't think so... not in my experience anyway. I have my laptop plugged in (and usually turn on) almost 24/7, and my TV on every night. I also have some fairy lights on pretty much all the time, wireless, an electric toothbrush (almost constant charge), speakers and a Wii, and my electricity hasn't ever been cut off!

I think they'd get suspicious if you were running something VERY HIGH POWERED that you were growing Weed or running a tanning salon lol.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
yeah i probably wouldn't use any more than that..
just had this image of having my power cut off half way through drying my hair lol.

probably won't be growing anything either, might be a good way to pay the rent though haha
Reply 3
Original post by linkdapink
I don't think so... not in my experience anyway. I have my laptop plugged in (and usually turn on) almost 24/7, and my TV on every night. I also have some fairy lights on pretty much all the time, wireless, an electric toothbrush (almost constant charge), speakers and a Wii, and my electricity hasn't ever been cut off!

I think they'd get suspicious if you were running something VERY HIGH POWERED that you were growing Weed or running a tanning salon lol.

I thought uni halls didn't have wireless internet? Did you bring your own wireless internet router with you?
As long as everything in your room is the kind of thing you'd find in a bedroom/study, you'll be fine. You're not allowed portable heaters, mini-fridges (except for medical purposes), kettles etc. because of the power they use, but they don't actually monitor your power usage as such. Computers don't really use that much power, no matter how powerful they are, and hairdyers etc. are only on for short periods of time so that's not a problem.
Original post by Dreamseeker
I thought uni halls didn't have wireless internet? Did you bring your own wireless internet router with you?

Yup, my boyfriend set it up for me, but we have this really strange internet, where only one device can connect to it at a time, so its great for me in my room, but no-one else can connect to it. Oh and only one "device" can connect to it at a time, so not even my phone can connect!
Reply 6
Original post by linkdapink
Yup, my boyfriend set it up for me, but we have this really strange internet, where only one device can connect to it at a time, so its great for me in my room, but no-one else can connect to it. Oh and only one "device" can connect to it at a time, so not even my phone can connect!

Ok, so, why don't you just wire your laptop to the network? Wired is more reliable. And cheaper. :tongue: But whatever.
Original post by Dreamseeker
Ok, so, why don't you just wire your laptop to the network? Wired is more reliable. And cheaper. :tongue: But whatever.

Cos then I can go on the internet in my bed! Otherwise I'd be stuck at my desk... It's the same price as well, and I didn't have to pay for the router cos it was an old one!
Reply 8
In my halls when we moved in they gave us the cable to connect to the computer. It will just about stretch to your bed, if not you could always buy a longer one. Someone in the flat next door to me had one which stretched into the kitchen.

In answer to the question: no they do not limit your usage. In my room i had 4 sockets on the desk and 2 next to my bed.
Original post by alexa123
In my halls when we moved in they gave us the cable to connect to the computer. It will just about stretch to your bed, if not you could always buy a longer one. Someone in the flat next door to me had one which stretched into the kitchen.

In answer to the question: no they do not limit your usage. In my room i had 4 sockets on the desk and 2 next to my bed.

I tried that once, but as I also had to pin the doors open to get the cables through it really wasn't worth the effort.
Reply 10
Original post by RightSaidJames
I tried that once, but as I also had to pin the doors open to get the cables through it really wasn't worth the effort.

oh we only really used it when several of us wanted to watch the same thing. Just put the kitchen stalls in the doors to keep them open.
Original post by alexa123
oh we only really used it when several of us wanted to watch the same thing. Just put the kitchen stalls in the doors to keep them open.

If I remember correctly people kept walking into the stools!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending