The Student Room Group

What do you think about sex?

Do you also think the social expectation in our society is rotten, with influences from the media; call me old fashioned - its driving reckless spree of pleasure seeking, and pressuring young people into sex early. It surprises me how early some friends started.

I'm a guy and inclined to wait for someone to whom I see a future with, even thougn sex it's just sex. What's your take?

Scroll to see replies

Personally I'd only do it with someone I'm in a relationship with.
Reply 2
My take is while I don't see anything wrong with your view, I certainly also don't see anything wrong with two consenting adults doing what they please in the bedroom. Live and let live.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Do you also think the social expectation in our society is rotten, with influences from the media; call me old fashioned - its driving reckless spree of pleasure seeking, and pressuring young people into sex early. It surprises me how early some friends started.

I'm a guy and inclined to wait for someone to whom I see a future with, even thougn sex it's just sex. What's your take?

I can understand why people pursue sex as a hedonistic pleasure, but I've never thought of it in that way, personally.
My thought is that it's a lot of fun and should be done as often as possible.

Pleasure seeking is a positive force, as long as it's done safely and doesn't hurt anyone. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
i think it's pretty fun and in general, relationship sex is better than ONSs
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
I agree with your view.
Meaning of "pleasure":
1. The state or feeling of being pleased or gratified.
2. A source of enjoyment or delight.
3. Amusement, diversion, or worldly enjoyment.
4. Sensual gratification or indulgence.

Can you really blame people for "seeking pleasure"???
I like apples but my favourite colour is orange
Original post by Pink Bullets
My thought is that it's a lot of fun and should be done as often as possible.

Pleasure seeking is a positive force, as long as it's done safely and doesn't hurt anyone. :smile:

I like your thinking.
Reply 10
It feels good, that's all I know. :smile:
Original post by *Dreaming*
Personally I'd only do it with someone I'm in a relationship with.

:ditto:
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
I like your thinking.

You sound like Jeremy Bentham.
Reply 13
I think it's not the media that's pressuring people into sex too early, but the previous religious beliefs that have repressed it and made it a taboo subject. While personally, I'm not too bothered by sex (weird for a guy, but I do have a low sex drive) if people want to go out and have as much sex as possible, go for it!
I also think no sex before marriage is probably the worst idea in the world. What about if you're not sexually compatible with the person you just married?
Sex is the boldest expression of hedonism, unfortunately. There are some radicals such as Peter Tatchell who advocate the minimum age for consensual sex to be reduced to age 14! I think 16 is young enough.
When you've had sex as many times as I have it begins to get a bit samey.
Original post by TheRealDarthVader
When you've had sex as many times as I have it begins to get a bit samey.

Make it not-samey then!

There are endless options!
Original post by sparkjolt
I think it's not the media that's pressuring people into sex too early, but the previous religious beliefs that have repressed it and made it a taboo subject. While personally, I'm not too bothered by sex (weird for a guy, but I do have a low sex drive) if people want to go out and have as much sex as possible, go for it!
I also think no sex before marriage is probably the worst idea in the world. What about if you're not sexually compatible with the person you just married?

The belief of celibacy (no sex before marriage) is not entirely of the nature you describe it to be. A Christian like myself is able to have sex with someone who is to be a spouse. For example, if I got engaged, I could legally have sex under the laws of holy Scripture.

Sexual immorality is also the greatest weapon of Western liberalism and has been since the Social Revolution of the late 1950s and early 1960s.
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous

What's wrong with a bit of pleasure-seeking and hedonism? It's the purpose of life.

I don't see how the media and society are pressuring people into sex, surely it's the opposite? Girls get called slags and discriminated against simply for mentioning sex or for simply looking at a guy in the wrong way (sexually). Mainstream religions forbids pre-marital sex. You are all going to Hell etc etc.

Besides, most young people don't need to be pressured into having sex. They are all doing it anyway. I mean why wouldn't they?

There is simply no rational argument for saying there's anything wrong with frequent, promiscuous sex. Just take some simple precautions, and just enjoy life.
Reply 19
For me personally, I don't like how sex has become as recreational as going swimming. It's upto anyone what they do with their own bodies though, I won't judge anyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending