The Student Room Group

Really need a job at uni

My loan only really coveres my accomodation, with a small bit left over. Is there any tips on getting a job at uni (before the mad rush of students trying to get them obviously), or ways of getting money and how much roughly can you live on comfortably for a year?

I havn't done any paid work before, only experience within the area im gonna be studying in.

Any advice?
Try mcdonalds, they are always taking on staff.
If that fails, just take your cv to everywhere who will accept one.
Work before uni, over the summer, save up, try and get somewhere which has different branches so that you can get a transfer to the branch near your uni.
Reply 3
Original post by GPH92

Original post by GPH92
i WISH i could earn money for that, but i would have to give it away...

I have been through that, ....the only tip I can offer is.....NEVER GIVE UP & HAVE FAITH in yourself....and apply anywhere & everywhere.....both online and in-person!!!!!!

Best of luck! :wink:
Reply 4
Does your uni's student union not have a job section? Or gumtree.
How far away are you from the uni you are going to? It really would be worth visiting in July/August time and looking for jobs then. July/August is usually when most vacancies are posted as sixth formers are leaving the area for uni and uni students may have finished their course. If you wait till freshers then there will be loads of you all applying for the same few jobs.

Just an observation but it is certainly true where I live. I moved here on 1st August and there were loads of student type jobs - but once it got to freshers there were hardly any at all. It's worth visiting in the summer if you NEED to get a job to get you through the course. (You could even invite your parents to see your uni town and get a free ride!)
Reply 6
Original post by Emma:-)
Try mcdonalds, they are always taking on staff.
If that fails, just take your cv to everywhere who will accept one.

They are not taking staff. They do online applications, they automatically reject you.:smile:

Just try it.
Original post by ohm
They are not taking staff. They do online applications, they automatically reject you.:smile:

Just try it.

I dont need to try it, i have a job there- thats how i know they are always taking on staff. Applying online is how you have to apply for jobs there nowadays.
Reply 8
I dont need to try it, i have a job there- thats how i know they are always taking on staff. Applying online is how you have to apply for jobs there nowadays.

So sad then.
Original post by ohm
So sad then.

What are you on about?
Reply 10
What are you on about?

Isn't it obvious? :rolleyes:
Original post by ohm
Isn't it obvious? :rolleyes:

Why is it so sad??
Reply 12
Why is it so sad??

Read my last comment.
I got rejected from McDonalds twice. I didn't want to work there anyway, but I'm only job hunting to make my mum happy.
Original post by ohm
Read my last comment.

You havent said why its apparently so sad.
Reply 15
You havent said why its apparently so sad.

Read comment no.12 :smile:

Btw, what are you studying?:smile:
Original post by ohm
Read comment no.12 :smile:

Btw, what are you studying?:smile:

You just said isnt it obvious.
Reply 17
You just said isnt it obvious.

What's the point on human interfaces? Human-human I see. What do you say, Emma? And what do you study?
Reply 18
Original post by chloboshoka
I got rejected from McDonalds twice. I didn't want to work there anyway, but I'm only job hunting to make my mum happy.

Your mum is only happy when you have a job.:eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending