The Student Room Group

Can UKCAT score be improved?

Is it possible, or have they designed it so that the score you get is your full capacity and cannot be improved upon with exta prep the next year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
they designed it so that the score you get is your full capacity
Reply 2
It can with practice and within reasonable limits, but don't expect a 550 to become 750 unless you underperformed significantly in that first test
Reply 3
I think it CAN be improved.
Mainly by major practice though. Some people have increased their score by about 50% when taking it the second time consecutively and so I don't believe it can be 'designed' to prove a candidate's full capacity.
Reply 4
But can you expect a 660 to become nearly 700?
Reply 5
Original post by telephone

Yes, but you can equally expect it to be any other number.
Reply 6
Original post by suf_7
they designed it so that the score you get is your full capacity

Haha, as if!
Reply 7

It depends. If you had done 1000 practice tests, performed your best and were a little bit lucky no. If you just went there with no preparation it'd be quite easy... But in my opinion an increase of 40 is reasonable and expected with some more practice.

PS: The test is BS
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
I reckon some people over achieve and some similarly underachieve, hence why I reckon there should be a series of admissions tests taken on different days to account for "an off day".
Reply 9
Of course you can, i got 662 last yea and 725 this year. I don't think i under performed the first time.
Reply 10
Same goes for A-Levels, university interviews and lots of other things... That's life!
Reply 11
Original post by mac32
It depends. If you had done 1000 practice tests, performed your best and were a little bit lucky no. If you just went there with no preparation it'd be quite easy... But in my opinion an increase of 40 is reasonable and expected with some more practice.

PS: The test is BS

Well admittedly while I used the 600q book I feel I could have put more effort in to see why I had gone wrong rather than just to see where I had gone wrong.
Reply 12
Well admittedly while I used the 600q book I feel I could have put more effort in to see why I had gone wrong rather than just to see where I had gone wrong.

Much of it depends on your technique, your time allocation to each question, how experienced you are with the different methods they employ etc. Just practice and be positive! Whatever happens, there still are universities that either don't use it at all or don't count very much on it, so don't worry.

Good luck!
(edited 13 years ago)
Of course it can be improved, but it depends on how much you practise for it / how much effort you put into it.

But I'm not too sure as to whether it could go up from around 500 to 700 - that's quite a large jump.
First attempt at medicine I got about 660/665 (can't remember exactly).....second time around I got 832.5...

So yea....you can change it :P
The UKCAT is mostly luck based anyway, with loads of prep I got 667.5 and with a lot less prep I got 767.5 :tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by ringham33170
First attempt at medicine I got about 660/665 (can't remember exactly).....second time around I got 832.5...

So yea....you can change it :P

:eek::eek2::eek3::zomg:

Wow...
Reply 17
Things like UKCAT and SAT can be practiced to get a great mark.
I got 650 this year and would hope for a rise of at least 50 second time round now I have free time to practice for it!
UKCAT is kind of random, depends on the day too; but you can definatly improve it. Just buy the #600 UKCAT question book, and you'll easily get above 700.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending