The Student Room Group

How old were you when you moved out

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Svenjamin
Ah, it doesn't matter. My dad lives in the middle of nowhere and I can't drive, so it's not like I'm ever going to just turn up anyway. When I was growing up he was the kind of father who couldn't wait for me to grow up and fly the nest anyhow. And now he bitches that I never visit. So he's just never happy :biggrin:

Haha ah give him something to moan about eh?

Middle of nowhere sucks :frown: I'm there and I hate it. like 3 buses a day and although I've passed my test and have the money, my sister has told me that I 'am not allowed a car' before today it was the 21st April, but now apparently the 7th of may. Hmm she seems to enjoy being in control of me and knowing I can go NOWHERE. -.-

Bah
Reply 21
Why doesn't going to uni count? Its the time when most people in our modern age move out.

I moved out at 18 to go to uni and have no plans to go back for anything longer than a visit.
Reply 22
was 18 when i did
Reply 23
Moved out to uni halls just after I was 18, moved back home 9 months later when I dropped out, then moved out properly with my boyfriend when we were both 20.
Reply 24
Original post by Jabblez
Haha ah give him something to moan about eh?

Middle of nowhere sucks :frown: I'm there and I hate it. like 3 buses a day and although I've passed my test and have the money, my sister has told me that I 'am not allowed a car' before today it was the 21st April, but now apparently the 7th of may. Hmm she seems to enjoy being in control of me and knowing I can go NOWHERE. -.-

Bah

Why is your sister putting a date on when you can get a car?:s-smilie:
Reply 25
I'm moving out to live with my sister soon, I'll be 17. My older brother still lives at home and he's 22.

My dad was 29 when he moved out, but that was only because his parents relocated to Ireland. :lol:
Reply 26
Original post by kitts!
Why is your sister putting a date on when you can get a car?:s-smilie:

I passed my test in feb, and despite being nearly 20 she thinks she is still my guardian. Whixh she no longer is. It's a sticky situation made stickier by how far out she just made me move. So now I'm miserable, living in the middle of nowhere and no way to see my friends as i work full time and there is no way int the town on a weekend. But I think she just likes to think she's in control. I think she should get help but her partners a right tool and she thinks she's worthless without him. I have plenty of reasons to mov out lol
17 and 18! Moved out and in with the family I was nannying for when I'd just turned 17, living 300 miles from my family. Terrifying but I think very, very good for me.

Moved back in just before my 18th birthday when I decided nannying wasn't for me, lived with the 'rents for 6 months or so and then moved out again to regain a bit of independence & because it was more convenient for work. I'm now back living with them again (luckily they just think it's quite funny how much I've yo-yoed) until uni in September, although I'm missing having my own place so badly... :frown:
Reply 28
:frown: I'm 21 and realistically I won't be looking at moving out for another 4 or 5 years (once I have finished uni and found employment). I don't want to get stuck renting though so will hold out till I have saved up for a deposit. I don't understand how people manage to move out at 17, unless it is paid for by the council or you have a job that includes accommodation. On an average wage for 17yr old round here you wouldn't be able to afford a shed in the slums of this town lol.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Jabblez
I passed my test in feb, and despite being nearly 20 she thinks she is still my guardian. Whixh she no longer is. It's a sticky situation made stickier by how far out she just made me move. So now I'm miserable, living in the middle of nowhere and no way to see my friends as i work full time and there is no way int the town on a weekend. But I think she just likes to think she's in control. I think she should get help but her partners a right tool and she thinks she's worthless without him. I have plenty of reasons to mov out lol

Ahh I see! That must be frustrating. If you don't mind me asking are your parents not around?
Original post by Smophy
:frown: I'm 21 and realistically I won't be looking at moving out for another 4 or 5 years (once I have finished uni and found employment). I don't want to get stuck renting though so will hold out till I have saved up for a deposit. I don't understand how people manage to move out at 17, unless it is paid for by the council or you have a job that includes accommodation. On an average wage for 17yr old round here you wouldn't be able to afford a shed in the slums of this town lol.

That sounds kinda crazy, when I was 17 I paid a £100 deposit and landlord was willing to wait for my grant to arrive, thats how I afforded it, and I was signing on for a few months etc when I left college just before I turned 19 then I got a summer job

That and I go for cheapish accomodation and dont use much utilities i.e I can still see bedsits for like £50 a week in certain towns(without bills) or about £65 with bills so its not too bad.

Though by 21 it was """" easy to get a place and a deposit would of only been a few hundred quid max

The term freeter is used in Japan for this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeter
how the hell did you 17/18/19 year olds afford to move out? :|
Reply 32
Original post by kitts!
Ahh I see! That must be frustrating. If you don't mind me asking are your parents not around?

Unfortunately not, it's just me and my sister. Both my parents passed away when I was 13. So it's just been the two of us for 6 years. Making now quite a difficult time as although I have the money, I am really reluctant to spend It on moving out even though I know It would make me happier. Just because it is my nest egg and essentially the only thing I have right now to live off
I was 16.

I made money where I could, and then was entitled to Housing Benefit and Income support as I was in full time education.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm at university and live in halls, but in a different continent. Does that count? :/ I think it does, though they're paying for everything, I don't live with my parents anymore, and I can feel it whenever I go back "home."
I moved out four days before my 19th birthday.
my brother is nearly 23 and he is showing no signs of moving out :| he says he might in a couple of years... what can i do? :/
Reply 37
I'm 20 and will hopefully be moving out in the next few weeks.
18, live in a hostel
Original post by MutantGecko
my brother is nearly 23 and he is showing no signs of moving out :| he says he might in a couple of years... what can i do? :/

Is it terrible that he's home? Does he help out financially?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending