The Student Room Group

Annoying aspects of Modern life !

So what do people find annoying in MODERN life : an expalnation would be great this is just so I can get a view of what people don't like so then When I find something common I can find reasons why and then write about it for my english
Closed pistachio nuts. ARRRGGHHHHH!!!
has to be when people Facebook or tweet 'I AM HUNGRY'
are you really?!! go and eat stop telling me about it over the internet you tosser
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
When you hold the door open for someone to walk through and they dont say thankyou :angry:

Or, when your walking down the street and you move to the side but carry on walking and the other person just continues in the middle of the path like theyre gods gift and its like arghh, and actually if your walking and someone just cuts right across you, that really p*sses me off!

Also if your queuing in a bank, and some other people in the bank start complaining about the queue and using 'all of us' as if youve got the same complaints and its just really embarassing!

Im sure there are lots more, but those have bugged me the most over the past week!
that life is pretty much revolved around the internet
Reply 5
Original post by SpunkyVanDros
has to be when people Facebook or tweet 'I AM HUNGRY'

I don't understand people who actually find that annoying, so assume most people with such sentiments just want something to say. Does it burn years of your life to read an extra FB status?
Reply 6
our whole youth, and the 'we have to get completely wasted to have fun' culture.
the fact that everyone looks the EXACT same, literally clones, like droids from star wars :') but with topshop and fake tan.
and facebook..the wonder of announcing things that nobody gives a **** about..to name a few
Original post by SteveCrain
I don't understand people who actually find that annoying, so assume most people with such sentiments just want something to say. Does it burn years of your life to read an extra FB status?

i don't mind if its the occasional I'm Hungry it start to get annoying when people do it every single day instead of I don't know...going to eat then telling me about the type of Sandwich you just had.
Reply 8
It annoys me that:

- Due to the prevalence of the Internet and suchlike, it has become the norm for people to use smileys and emoticons in normal writing, or for lol and other basic abbreviations to be used in conversation. We've lost the ability to express ourselves with the broad and beautiful vocabulary that we've developed over so many centuries.

- The general population has become either become so deeply depoliticised that "politics" is considered separate from life because poeple don't relaise that their elected representatives are there to do just that, represent them, or have been radicalised into extremist viewpoints which engender hate in the community and cause further disillusionment in those remaining because they see an extremist minority gaining popularity.

- Any sort of viewpoint considered to be in anyway "traditional" or non-secular or non-mainstream is viewed with automatic distrust at best and at worst outright derision, regardless of what the viewpoint may be. These opinions are trivialised with haste and disregarded out of hand without knowledge, wisdom or in depth examination.

- The media outside of the BBC have given up making any sort of meaningful television resorting instead to a collection of knitted-brow crime dramas or base and demeaning televisual trolling which is disrespectful to both the viewer and the people on the screen. That even the BBC has fallen victim to this culture and has begun trying to produce similar tripe but comes up with the impossible- a copy which cheapens even the original which itself seemed to be the lowest point television could reach.

I think that's probably about it.

For now at least...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Almost every aspect of modern life annoys me to one degree or another.
a) Children trying to grow up too fast.
b) Reality TV shows
c) Complexity of life in general.
Reply 11
When it starts raining just after you've put the washing out...
Reply 12
That everyone is a hypocritical, narrow minded socially influenced norm following prick.
Reply 13
Original post by Gromit94
When it starts raining just after you've put the washing out...

you're doing it wrong
Reply 14
I mean when it looks like a brilliant, sunny day so I get all the washing outside on the line and as soon as I shut the back door it starts raining. And then continues to rain for ages.
Reply 15
First world problems whatup
Reply 16
when people say can i ask you a question and just ask it anyway without waiting for a reply...
Reply 17
Original post by Gromit94
I mean when it looks like a brilliant, sunny day so I get all the washing outside on the line and as soon as I shut the back door it starts raining. And then continues to rain for ages.

Well, it isn't really a problem to do with modern society :tongue:

Unless you want to talk about anthropogenic environmental effects which might be altering precipitation cycles?

Yes I deliberately worded that the way I did to make myself sound clever.
Reply 18
Original post by edd360
Well, it isn't really a problem to do with modern society :tongue:

Unless you want to talk about anthropogenic environmental effects which might be altering precipitation cycles?

Yes I deliberately worded that the way I did to make myself sound clever.

ah I suppose not :smile: I was assuming washing-lines were modern, but I guess they aren't :smile:
Reply 19
1. Too much reliance on the internet - what about books/ talking to people face to face etc
2. Throw away society - make do and mend? (admittedly China and NICs are to blame)
3. Health and safety concious
4. Lack of respect for elders
5. Fashion repetition

Quick Reply