The Student Room Group

Changing your grade years after the initial award - can it be done?

To cut a long story short, I experienced a lot of strange events during one of my final A-level exams: shimmering lights, blind spots in my vision, eventually complete loss of vision (albeit briefly), objects looked like they were breathing, I wasn't able to process words... My grandmother had recently died of metastasised brain cancer and I thought I had it too and was dying, so buried my head in the sand about it. I got a low E on that exam (got that from the bit I had already done, because I couldn't complete it: I couldn't see the paper for the most part and, even when I looked around the light and field defects, I couldn't understand what I was reading) and it dragged my grade for that whole subject down.

Recently been diagnosed with ocular migraines and, in retrospect, it's obvious that my 'dying experience' was actually an aura. I failed that exam and got a lower grade than I deserved overall due to a serious medical problem (my doctor has commented that it's one of the worst cases of migraine he's come across, and he got special interest in headaches so I'm guessing that he's seen a few.) However, I took it in 2009... Is there any way of getting that exam re-looked at in light of new information, or do I just have to forget about it?
Reply 1
Original post by TheSownRose
To cut a long story short, I experienced a lot of strange events during one of my final A-level exams: shimmering lights, blind spots in my vision, eventually complete loss of vision (albeit briefly), objects looked like they were breathing, I wasn't able to process words... My grandmother had recently died of metastasised brain cancer and I thought I had it too and was dying, so buried my head in the sand about it. I got a low E on that exam (got that from the bit I had already done, because I couldn't complete it: I couldn't see the paper for the most part and, even when I looked around the light and field defects, I couldn't understand what I was reading) and it dragged my grade for that whole subject down.

Recently been diagnosed with ocular migraines and, in retrospect, it's obvious that my 'dying experience' was actually an aura. I failed that exam and got a lower grade than I deserved overall due to a serious medical problem (my doctor has commented that it's one of the worst cases of migraine he's come across, and he got special interest in headaches so I'm guessing that he's seen a few.) However, I took it in 2009... Is there any way of getting that exam re-looked at in light of new information, or do I just have to forget about it?

not a hope of getting it looked at so long after the event.
you could still resit to improve the overall grade if it seems important to you.
Probably not, unless what you experienced was reported and documented at the time. Did you get a doctors note soon after the exam explaining that you had been ill - I'm not certain if there needs to be a specific diagnosis for this to be valid.

However, you probably can't as it's so long ago, and as far as the exam board is concerned, if it isn't documented then they can't know that you aren't making it up because you aren't happy with the grade.
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
not a hope of getting it looked at so long after the event.
you could still resit to improve the overall grade if it seems important to you.

It bothers me, but it's not exactly a priority right now... Is there a limit on how long afterwards I can resit? For example, once I've finished my degree and professional exams (should be mid-2013), will I still be able to do it?
Reply 4
Original post by Persephone9
Probably not, unless what you experienced was reported and documented at the time. Did you get a doctors note soon after the exam explaining that you had been ill - I'm not certain if there needs to be a specific diagnosis for this to be valid.

However, you probably can't as it's so long ago, and as far as the exam board is concerned, if it isn't documented then they can't know that you aren't making it up because you aren't happy with the grade.

As I said, I thought I had a brain tumour and, having just watched someone die of brain cancer, didn't want to believe it, so I ignored it - pretended it never happened, didn't see a doctor, didn't even think about it, ignored all subsequent ones as well until a different healthcare professional said it sounded like I was having migraine auras.

In retrospect, it was a very stupid decision driven out of fear.
As I said, I thought I had a brain tumour and, having just watched someone die of brain cancer, didn't want to believe it, so I ignored it - pretended it never happened, didn't see a doctor, didn't even think about it, ignored all subsequent ones as well until a different healthcare professional said it sounded like I was having migraine auras.

In retrospect, it was a very stupid decision driven out of fear.

That's fair enough, at least you know now :smile:

Unfortunately I think if you wanted to improve the grade you'd have to do the whole course again, as the limit for resiting old style A levels (no A*) was January/June 2010. There was a little bit of phasing out time, but I think it meant that people who did their A2s in 2009 were expected to do any resits in 2010, and the people doing A2 modules for the first time in 2010 did the new (with A*) course.
(edited 13 years ago)

Magic Mushrooms are never a good idea before an exam, OP.
Reply 7
Original post by Persephone9
That's fair enough, at least you know now :smile:

Unfortunately I think if you wanted to improve the grade you'd have to do the whole course again, as the limit for resiting old style A levels (no A*) was January/June 2010. There was a little bit of phasing out time, but I think it meant that people who did their A2s in 2009 were expected to do any resits in 2010, and the people doing A2 modules for the first time in 2010 did the new (with A*) course.

Ah well, looks like I'm stuck with this damn B. Kind of annoying, know that if I had experienced the migraine a day later (last exam :frown:) I would have achieved an A ... but nevermind, life goes on.

Thanks for the advice. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by UniversityLAD
Magic Mushrooms are never a good idea before an exam, OP.

But they always worked before... :cry2:

Quick Reply

Latest