The Student Room Group

Can I get into a good university with these A-Level courses?

Hi there,

I'm sorry for starting another thread of this, but it is quite urgent and I'd really appreciate any help/advice.

Okay, well I am an AS student at the moment (have a look at my previous threads, if you wish), and am studying English Literature, Law, Business Studies and Drama & Theatre Studies.

I sort of regret choosing Business Studies and Drama & Theatre Studies because they are two very (from what I've heard) "soft" A-Levels.

Now, I was wondering, would I be able to get into a good university for Law with at least AAAB, AABB, or ABBB, preferably the first two set of grades as this is what I am aiming for. What is the likelihood of me being accepted into my university choices because I believe I can achieve these grades by working hard.

To let you know, I have an A at the moment in Law, and a C in Business Studies. However, I will be retaking the Business Studies exam in May because I was 1 mark away from a B and feel confident I can do much better this time round, hopefully.

Also, I am thinking of whether or not to go to university. My options to me, seems - strange. I'm confused and angered at the fact that I may not get my offers because I have 2 "soft" A-Level courses. Additionally, I've been considering the option of picking up a harder, more academic, AS course at the start of my A2's, which is this September.

Please tell me what you think.

Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by masterwayne10
Hi there,

I'm sorry for starting another thread of this, but it is quite urgent and I'd really appreciate any help/advice.

Okay, well I am an AS student at the moment (have a look at my previous threads, if you wish), and am studying English Literature, Law, Business Studies and Drama & Theatre Studies.

I sort of regret choosing Business Studies and Drama & Theatre Studies because they are two very (from what I've heard) "soft" A-Levels.

Now, I was wondering, would I be able to get into a good university for Law with at least AAAB, AABB, or ABBB, preferably the first two set of grades as this is what I am aiming for. What is the likelihood of me being accepted into my university choices because I believe I can achieve these grades by working hard.

To let you know, I have an A at the moment in Law, and a C in Business Studies. However, I will be retaking the Business Studies exam in May because I was 1 mark away from a B and feel confident I can do much better this time round, hopefully.

Also, I am thinking of whether or not to go to university. My options to me, seems - strange. I'm confused and angered at the fact that I may not get my offers because I have 2 "soft" A-Level courses. Additionally, I've been considering the option of picking up a harder, more academic, AS course at the start of my A2's, which is this September.

Thank you.

In fact, Law is considered a soft subject as well by many top universities... But hey, I did ICT and psychology, 2 soft subjects and got an offer at a top 10 law uni, so! I wouldn't consider doing more at A2 because it is a step up from AS and so is harder but just work your hardest with those 4 perhaps and just go for it.
Original post by Kaskade
In fact, Law is considered a soft subject as well by many top universities... But hey, I did ICT and psychology, 2 soft subjects and got an offer at a top 10 law uni, so! I wouldn't consider doing more at A2 because it is a step up from AS and so is harder but just work your hardest with those 4 perhaps and just go for it.

I've heard that too, but am unsure as to whether it actually is or isn't. I have read on a few universities' entry requirements that they would prefer for an applicant to not have law as an A-Level, but they state it is nonetheless, absolutely fine to still apply with Law A-Level.

Also, would you mind If I ask which other AS courses you studied, along with ICT and Psychology? Also, what were your other two soft subjects and what did the universities require from you? Finally, what grades did you achieve in your A-Levels/AS?

Thanks.
I feel exactly the same! I'm doing AS and take English, Business, Media and Graphics, and am predicted A's in all of them.

(I also got one mark of a B in the Business January module, and am retaking)

And I am currently considering Law, and even though there are no subject specifications, I feel like I won't get an offer because all my options are 'soft', even if I get 3 A's at A2.

I really regret taking Business and Media instead of Geography and Politics and wanted to take up an extra AS next year too, but now don't have a clue what to do! So I'm not really helping but I'm in exactly the same boat :wink:
Original post by hannahheart1
I feel exactly the same! I'm doing AS and take English, Business, Media and Graphics, and am predicted A's in all of them.

(I also got one mark of a B in the Business January module, and am retaking)

And I am currently considering Law, and even though there are no subject specifications, I feel like I won't get an offer because all my options are 'soft', even if I get 3 A's at A2.

I really regret taking Business and Media instead of Geography and Politics and wanted to take up an extra AS next year too, but now don't have a clue what to do! So I'm not really helping but I'm in exactly the same boat :wink:

I see what you mean...Don't worry, it's perfectly fine to express your frustration!

It is a little annoying and I wish I had chosen the right courses last year.

Hopefully we'll both be okay, somehow...:P
Hi there,

Thank you.

I think picking up a more academic AS course in the summer would be a good idea, and make sure you note this in your Personal Statement.

I think, though, Business Studies will just pass the mark when it comes to needing 3 academic A-levels. I've certainly seen a couple of people on TSR with 2 more academic A-levels and business studies, one of whom got an offer from Durham, so it can't be the end of the world.

Definitely continue with Law, EnglishLit and Business Studies next year. I'd consider dropping Theatre and exchanging it for a more academic AS level though. :smile:

Also, make sure you have a strong personal statement and you do well in your LNAT (if you apply to LNAT universities). Grades aren't the sole determining factor!

Good luck :smile:
Law's very soft- really.

Take up mathematics now while you can.
Original post by HedonisticMe
Law's very soft- really.

Incorrect and not a well-researched answer. Law A-level is not 'soft'; it is merely cautioned against by top 20 universities because it allegedly upsets undergraduate teaching methods. Also, it is a relatively new A-level so it obviously lacks the prestige of maths, languages, history and sciences.

I know 17 people who have been accepted by Oxbridge with A-level law as one of their three subjects. Also, I happen to study it and find it as hard as history and English literature.
Original post by Rascacielos
I think picking up a more academic AS course in the summer would be a good idea, and make sure you note this in your Personal Statement.

I think, though, Business Studies will just pass the mark when it comes to needing 3 academic A-levels. I've certainly seen a couple of people on TSR with 2 more academic A-levels and business studies, one of whom got an offer from Durham, so it can't be the end of the world.

Definitely continue with Law, EnglishLit and Business Studies next year. I'd consider dropping Theatre and exchanging it for a more academic AS level though. :smile:

Also, make sure you have a strong personal statement and you do well in your LNAT (if you apply to LNAT universities). Grades aren't the sole determining factor!

Good luck :smile:

Okay, I will have to wait and see but I am still considering the options. If I do, yes, I will mention it in my personal statement.

Yes, I have heard..I just fear that I won't be able to get into any universities because of my courses..I sincerely hope they consider my statement, my work experience and my grades achieved (since I am working incredibly hard to get the best out of myself, especially trying to better myself as I didn't do too well for my GCSEs!).

But that's good to know, thanks.

I've considered either History, Government & Politics, or Economics. Which would you suggest and why?

Thanks again.
Original post by HedonisticMe
Law's very soft- really.

I seriously do not believe Law to be that soft. Maths is not an option for me.
Original post by Alex-jc123
Incorrect and not a well-researched answer. Law A-level is not 'soft'; it is merely cautioned against by top 20 universities because it allegedly upsets undergraduate teaching methods. Also, it is a relatively new A-level so it obviously lacks the prestige of maths, languages, history and sciences.

I know 17 people who have been accepted by Oxbridge with A-level law as one of their three subjects. Also, I happen to study it and find it as hard as history and English literature.

Right, okay..Can I ask whether you recommend I stay with English Lit, Law and Business Studies, or do you think I should pick up an extra AS next year?
Don't think your A-Levels are bad choices because of TSR.
I also do Law and Business Studies, I appreciate Law isn't easy too :P I do History too, which is on par with English Literature.

Depends what you class as a good University. When I wanted to do Law (last year) I discussed my A-Level choices with a Kent University (which as far as I know is pretty decent for Law) member of staff and they said they were fine.
As long as your grades are on A/B standard you stand a chance with the better Universities.
Original post by mellie220
Don't think your A-Levels are bad choices because of TSR.
I also do Law and Business Studies, I appreciate Law isn't easy too :P I do History too, which is on par with English Literature.

Depends what you class as a good University. When I wanted to do Law (last year) I discussed my A-Level choices with a Kent University (which as far as I know is pretty decent for Law) member of staff and they said they were fine.
As long as your grades are on A/B standard you stand a chance with the better Universities.

Not only because of TSR. but I feel that Business Studies and Drama might affect my application. I seriously hope not though, because I am working hard to get the best grades I can. Also, I'm looking to do work experience over the holidays to aid my statement/applications.

May I ask what your AS/A2 courses are?
Right, okay..Can I ask whether you recommend I stay with English Lit, Law and Business Studies, or do you think I should pick up an extra AS next year?

Your subject choices of English lit, law and business are not that bad. Business is the only subject that I would drop. However, I would recommend doing them all and pick up an extra AS in a subject depending on what degree you desire to pursue. If you are applying for a written subject, then I would thoroughly recommend AS history; it is the most effective subject for boosting written and reading skills.
Your subject choices of English lit, law and business are not that bad. Business is the only subject that I would drop. However, I would recommend doing them all and pick up an extra AS in a subject depending on what degree you desire to pursue. If you are applying for a written subject, then I would thoroughly recommend AS history; it is the most effective subject for boosting written and reading skills.

Right, okay, thank you. Also, do you know whether it's mandatory to have a GCSE in History? As I used to do it in Years 7 and 8, but have almost forgotten quite a lot about history. I've heard you focus on 3 topics, Russian Mobilisation (or Revolution), the British Cold War, and I'm not too sure on the other topic.
Right, okay, thank you. Also, do you know whether it's mandatory to have a GCSE in History? As I used to do it in Years 7 and 8, but have almost forgotten quite a lot about history. I've heard you focus on 3 topics, Russian Mobilisation (or Revolution), the British Cold War, and I'm not too sure on the other topic.

You are not required to have studied GCSE history. If you have studied it then the requirement to undertake it at A-level is for you to have achieved a grade B at least.

You do three exams over the two-year period and also a coursework module for A2. However, if you are only doing it for AS then you need only prepare yourself for two exams. My AS exams were on modern German history and Tudor England.

I would only recommend this subject if you are prepared to do substantial independent reading though. You cannot really get higher than a grade B unless you engage books detailing historians' views and extra statistics.
Reply 16
I've heard that too, but am unsure as to whether it actually is or isn't. I have read on a few universities' entry requirements that they would prefer for an applicant to not have law as an A-Level, but they state it is nonetheless, absolutely fine to still apply with Law A-Level.

Also, would you mind If I ask which other AS courses you studied, along with ICT and Psychology? Also, what were your other two soft subjects and what did the universities require from you? Finally, what grades did you achieve in your A-Levels/AS?

Thanks.

Well it really depends on where you're applying... I know oxford and LSE definitely look down on it, but then there's KCL etc who will gladly accept it.. that's not to say that LSE wouldn't accept you on the basis you're doing Law. They look at your whole application anyway.

Well for AS I did Psychology, ICT, History and Philosophy & Ethics. So obviously my other 2 subjects are strong. Uni's I applied to wanted A*AA-AAA but i've got offers from L'pool and Queen Mary (considered 3rd best for law :biggrin:) and they both ask for AAA. At AS I got AABB and I am predicted A*AA this year :smile: Hope that helps!
Reply 17
Just focus on getting Great grades on the subjects you're already doing. There's no point in starting something else.
As long as you have good grades, you should be fine :P
You are not required to have studied GCSE history. If you have studied it then the requirement to undertake it at A-level is for you to have achieved a grade B at least.

You do three exams over the two-year period and also a coursework module for A2. However, if you are only doing it for AS then you need only prepare yourself for two exams. My AS exams were on modern German history and Tudor England.

I would only recommend this subject if you are prepared to do substantial independent reading though. You cannot really get higher than a grade B unless you engage books detailing historians' views and extra statistics.

Okay, thank you for that. I will consider opting for History - I shall hope to think that the reading should not be a major concern as I already have a lot of reading for English Lit and also read a lot for Law too. Thanks again for the information though.
Original post by Kaskade
Well it really depends on where you're applying... I know oxford and LSE definitely look down on it, but then there's KCL etc who will gladly accept it.. that's not to say that LSE wouldn't accept you on the basis you're doing Law. They look at your whole application anyway.

Well for AS I did Psychology, ICT, History and Philosophy & Ethics. So obviously my other 2 subjects are strong. Uni's I applied to wanted A*AA-AAA but i've got offers from L'pool and Queen Mary (considered 3rd best for law :biggrin:) and they both ask for AAA. At AS I got AABB and I am predicted A*AA this year :smile: Hope that helps!

Right, sure, I see what you mean.

Which ones are you predicted A*AA in, by the way? Best of luck for it all!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending