The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 681
Original post by timiop2008

Although I agree with the concept portrayed by the image, no need to spam it...

EDIT: <Realises he's just accidentally spammed it himself, and facepalms>
Original post by Haddock3
Although I agree with the concept portrayed by the image, no need to spam it...

sorry lol... you have go to admit that this thread is getting pretty annoying now though with people going its 2... its 288... its 2 ... its 288......etc...... arghhhh.
Reply 683
sorry lol... you have go to admit that this thread is getting pretty annoying now though with people going its 2... its 288... its 2 ... its 288......etc...... arghhhh.

Yes, I admit that people refusing to let go of their varied reasons why it "should" be one or the other (like the distributive law ;P, nudge nudge wink wink) is getting pretty annoying, especially with some pretty strong defence from nuodai in particular, myself and a few others too, saying that the question is ambiguous, but unfortunately I'm involved now, and can't bring myself to stop arguing on behalf of the (still undersupported) ambiguity case.
Original post by Wick3d
Use Wolfram Alpha you can't get it wrong then. :smile:

sure you can. it all depends how you write it in, wolfram relies hevily on on delimiters and cannot function otherwise. so it just depends how you intepret it which is what the whole argument is about, unfortunately.

personally, i'm still on the side of 2. (though yes, I admit it's ambigous and could be taken either way, but with my level of teaching and education personally, I wouldn't approach it any other way) but meh this argument is getting pointless.
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes, I admit that people refusing to let go of their varied reasons why it "should" be one or the other (like the distributive law ;P, nudge nudge wink wink) is getting pretty annoying, especially with some pretty strong defence from nuodai in particular, myself and a few others too, saying that the question is ambiguous, but unfortunately I'm involved now, and can't bring myself to stop arguing on behalf of the (still undersupported) ambiguity case.

yea nuodai seems pretty intelligent. To be honest, he converted me from the distributive law crowd.
Reply 686
Original post by CameraGirl
personally, i'm still on the side of 2. (though yes, I admit it's ambigous and could be taken either way, but with my level of teaching and education personally, I wouldn't approach it any other way) but meh this argument is getting pointless.

Yes, we get that you think it's 2; I can see why you think that. I can also see why others think it's 288.

However, if you think this argument is getting pointless (a point on which I agree with you), I think you need to put more stress on the ambiguity thing; by quoting qualification and then stating either 2 or 288 you are simply encouraging others to carry on making wild statements that it's "definitely" one or the other.

So please stop doing that? :smile:
yea nuodai seems pretty intelligent. To be honest, he converted me from the distributive law crowd.

If only we could get an admin to pin that image to the first page of this thread.... hmmm?
Reply 688

Damn right, I wanna meet the guy! :P

Hehe yeah I noticed you'd changed your mind, but couldn't resist a stab, sorry. :biggrin:
Original post by Scribblet
Type -3^2 on your calculator.
If it's similar to most of the calculators I've ever owned it will come up with -9. As we all know this isn't right. :biggrin:

I am aware of this issue with calculators and I was going to post it, but you got there before me.

-3 squared is a possible mistake a calculator can make, but im unaware of how the issue in this thread goes with calculators

i also dont know whether people here should be trusting websites/math programmes like wolframalpha (or whather its called) for the same reason.
Reply 690
OK, I'm off to sleep now. When I get up I'm guessing that mod (again, can't remember who) will have closed the thread.

So just wanted to thank everyone who took part! :biggrin: Oh dear, I really should never have got involved, should I...
Reply 691
and the answer is?
Reply 692
Original post by Malsy
and the answer is?

Ambiguous. Now to bed.
Reply 693
33 pages?

Also, who added a poll?

I'm think about it. I asked a Maths lecturer who does Topology and he said it is 2.
Reply 694
OH SWEET JESUS. THE ANSWER IS TWO. TWWWWWOOOOOOO. Bloody HELL, there are some serious idiots in this thread.
A2 Further Maths student here with 3 A's from January exams. So BELIEVE ME, that the answer is you-are-a-gigantic-cock-head-if-you-think-the-answer-is-not-two.

Stay in school, kids.
Reply 695
Lol OMG
what is wrong with u people

read the question PROPPERLY !!!! AND U MIGHT JUST FIGURE IT OUT !
Original post by C. Nworb
OH SWEET JESUS. THE ANSWER IS TWO. TWWWWWOOOOOOO. Bloody HELL, there are some serious idiots in this thread.
A2 Further Maths student here with 3 A's from January exams. So BELIEVE ME, that the answer is you-are-a-gigantic-cock-head-if-you-think-the-answer-is-not-two.

Stay in school, kids.

I would like to hypothesise that this thread is actually not about an equation at all, but instead is a clever experiment designed to prove that any thread posted on the internet will eventually degenerate to become a post like this one.
Reply 697
Ambiguous. Now to bed.

But. But. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

:shifty:
The answer is obviously 288, anyone who says it's 2 is an idiot! Here's how i'll explain it:

48 divided by 2 is 24 multiplied by 12 =288

And there is your answer!!!!
Also Student room has been trolled hard.

Latest