The Student Room Group

I generally prefer my own company. What is wrong with that?

Okay, so I recently started a new job in London.

I was talking to my friend yesterday and she was saying who do you go to lunch with and I told her that I go to the company restaurant and have lunch on my own. She started feeling sorry for me saying it will get better and that things will become more social. I didn't understand why she was feeling sorry for me because I generally prefer to eat in peace and quiet. I also like to check my messages in peace. In general prefer to be by myself 80% of the time. That's not to say I don't go out or anything, I just find being around people frustrating at times.

Anyway, I was annoyed today because I know a guy who already works in the company and he's always asking to meet me for lunch. I always reluctantly go. Today he told me that there are rumours going around that we are dating. That pissed me off because 1. he has a gf who he lives with and 2. I prefer to be known as single particularly as I'm still young and sifting guys. I asked him if he's set the record straight with people and it turns out he hasn't. He seems to be loving it and has said nothing to dispel the rumours. My friend suggested that he must be trying to boost his profile at work, particularly as I'm a very attractive girl.

Could he have told people that we are an item>

I don't get why he can't go to the restaurant and eat on his own.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Forever, alone.
Reply 2
I know exactly what you mean in terms of the feeling sorry bit. My ex feels really sorry for me because I spend most of my time alone but ultimately I only know a couple of people who I really connect with and then I consider everyone else I know an aquantance. I dont want to get to know you. Ive seen enough to know they are not my type of person. I dont like them. **** off.

I go out to parties and nights out but most of the time I just can not be bothered. The thing is I'm entirely happy with how I go about things, I would so much rather watch a movie on my laptop, do some sketching and lie in bed all night than go out.

At lunchtime at college I've just taken to going home because I can not stand anyone in my course for long periods of time. And in secondary school I got the nickname 'stoner loner' because I blew everyone off all the time. Coffee shops are not cool. I dont want to waste ten quid at the cinema. Loads of people consider it strange but on sunny days I like to go to a park, lie down in the middle of the green, smoke a couple of spliffs and just chill for 2 or 3 hours.

I think I just hate people really.
Tell him to **** off you have nothing to loose since you like being on your own. Next time he asks you for lunch just turn him down
Reply 4
You sound like kind of a b*tch.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a very attractive girl.

get your ego in check :rolleyes:

anyway if you don't want to go to lunch with this guy then why not just say no.

If you go to lunch together everyday do you not think people might suspect something?

perhaps you may like being lonely but you can't get mad at someone for trying to keep you company when you haven't even told him you want to be alone.
Original post by IlexBlue
You sound like kind of a b*tch.

:lolwut:

So she seems like a bitch for not wanting rumours about her?

I'm pretty much the same OP. I have 2 or 3 close friends and a few friends I see every few weeks/months. I just generally prefer to be alone and doing my own thing. :dontknow:
You work for McDonalds, don't you?
Reply 8
I spend a lot of time alone. Though, I do prefer the company of others than my own though you would never assume that if you knew me.
I like both..if i'm on my own, i dont mind, i'll find thingsto do. But if i'm with my friends...and they're all having a good a time....I would not sit in a corner on my own...i'd enjoy myself with them.

There's nothing wrong with either....the guy (your friend) doesnt seem like a nice person, so you probably jus dont like his company
(edited 13 years ago)
Alone 80% of the time seems slightly extreme... nothin wrong with it but its abit strange :s

neg rep! really *rolleyes* *sigh*
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't find anything wrong with that. I generally hate being in the company of most people, specially people I don't really talk to much anyway as my conversations always feel forced and awkward, so I rather not have to do that with people.

I'm most comfortable with people when I'm with them and don't feel forced and could be with them and just chill, watch tv or something and not talk.

If I was in your situation, I would much rather be on my own.
Reply 12
Me too. :smile:

I was talking to my friend yesterday and she was saying who do you go to lunch with and I told her that I go to the company restaurant and have lunch on my own. She started feeling sorry for me saying it will get better and that things will become more social. I didn't understand why she was feeling sorry for me because I generally prefer to eat in peace and quiet. I also like to check my messages in peace. In general prefer to be by myself 80% of the time. That's not to say I don't go out or anything, I just find being around people frustrating at times.

Anyway, I was annoyed today because I know a guy who already works in the company and he's always asking to meet me for lunch. I always reluctantly go. Today he told me that there are rumours going around that we are dating. That pissed me off because 1. he has a gf who he lives with and 2. I prefer to be known as single particularly as I'm still young and sifting guys. I asked him if he's set the record straight with people and it turns out he hasn't. He seems to be loving it and has said nothing to dispel the rumours. My friend suggested that he must be trying to boost his profile at work, particularly as I'm a very attractive girl.

Out of interest do you have siblings or are you an only child?
There's nothing wrong with enjoying being alone. I'd say just make it clear to everyone that there isn't anything going on between you and your friend - and make sure he knows, as well! It'll sort itself out.

I completely agree with what you are saying. I am a freshman in college on my 2nd term and I have maybe... 5 friends here? A lot more back at home but I haven't really made new friends.

I stick to myself 90 percent of the time. I'm either studying, on the computer (somewhat of a nerd lol), or at the local coffee shop down the street (which is where I am now).

I eat lunch and dinner alone but I enjoy the solitude. Personally I just don't feel like i need to eat with someone or be surrounded by people to not feel lonely at times.

I enjoy my quiet time, it allows me to think... critically think, which IMO, a frightening large percentage of the people on this earth don't, because they're too wrapped with finding things to increase their social image of themselves compared to others.
Reply 16
Original post by wactm
I know exactly what you mean in terms of the feeling sorry bit. My ex feels really sorry for me because I spend most of my time alone but ultimately I only know a couple of people who I really connect with and then I consider everyone else I know an aquantance. I dont want to get to know you. Ive seen enough to know they are not my type of person. I dont like them. **** off.

I go out to parties and nights out but most of the time I just can not be bothered. The thing is I'm entirely happy with how I go about things, I would so much rather watch a movie on my laptop, do some sketching and lie in bed all night than go out.

At lunchtime at college I've just taken to going home because I can not stand anyone in my course for long periods of time. And in secondary school I got the nickname 'stoner loner' because I blew everyone off all the time. Coffee shops are not cool. I dont want to waste ten quid at the cinema. Loads of people consider it strange but on sunny days I like to go to a park, lie down in the middle of the green, smoke a couple of spliffs and just chill for 2 or 3 hours.

I think I just hate people really.

It's not as if I hate people and want them to get lost. I like people but I generally just prefer time to myself to think and reflect rather than always be surrounded by people. Like I said, I prefer yo be on my own 80% of the time, it doesn't matter who with.

I think we are coming at it from different angles. I don't want my family to get lost, I love them to bits but I also love my own space. I have loads of friends but I only meeting up with them occassionally.
Reply 17
Original post by StephenP91
I spend a lot of time alone. Though, I do prefer the company of others than my own though you would never assume that if you knew me.

Haha that's exactly what I'm like, my persona is outgoing so people assume I like being around people.
Reply 18
Original post by gingerrninja
Out of interest do you have siblings or are you an only child?

3 siblings.
Reply 19
Original post by Angela_Beth
There's nothing wrong with enjoying being alone. I'd say just make it clear to everyone that there isn't anything going on between you and your friend - and make sure he knows, as well! It'll sort itself out.

Yeah, he's such an idiot, I'm so annoyed.

Do you think he might have actually made people believe we are an item on purpose?

I don't know how to go about making it clear to people because i've only just started working there and I don't want people to think I'm bonkers for telling them I'm single.

Yeah I think I need to make it clear to him that we aren't an item, I thought it was already clear since he's got his 2 year gf that he lives with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending