The Student Room Group

Queen's Uni Belfast

Is anyone a student of Queen's Uni Belfast? could you tell me what it is like to go there?
I have an offer of 3 B's for french and spanish and I am from Liverpool. What is it like for overseas students? I heard a lot of people go home at the weekend is this so??
Reply 1
Everyone I know who goes to Queens comes home every weekend, so Im sure accomodation will be pretty empty during the weekends. Also, ALOT of school leavers from NI go to Queens, we dont tend to be the adventurous type so Im pretty sure that if you go you will find alot of people stay in the same friend circles from school, and Northern Ireland is one of the smallest places you could probably go...everyone knows everyone or if you meet someone you dont know you will most likely have a mutual friend...
The city is very small compared to Liverpool, you probably wont be impressed with the quality of the shops. Tho they are getting better. There isnt that much nice old architecture as most of it was blown up during the troubles so alot of ugly 70's building. Night clubs in B'fast are quite good (but tend to be more expensive than the bigger English cities) but it tends to be the place during the week not the weekends really. Ive only been to the MBC (sciency building) and the SU, and from what Ive seen they are quite well equipped and more modern buildings. Everything within the city is in good walking distance but If you have to travel out of the city (eg on placement) the public transport in NI isnt that great.
Im a bit biased tho, I cant wait to get out of NI but Im sure there are great points to...

IM NOT A STUDENT AT QUEENS...BOTH OF MY SIBLINGS ARE AT QUEENS AND I LIVE IN NI ...im just basing it on that ok? Hope I havent scared you into not coming...
Reply 2
I'm not there yet, applied for Postgrad in September.

I'm not Northern Irish either. I'm a Scot who lives in England so I've been around, and I can tell you that Belfast is my favourite city and the natives are just wonderful!
Original post by Daniel1987
I'm not there yet, applied for Postgrad in September.

I'm not Northern Irish either. I'm a Scot who lives in England so I've been around, and I can tell you that Belfast is my favourite city and the natives are just wonderful!

the natives are wonderful?? Can you elaborate on that point???

Why is belfast your fav city?? its tiny relative to other uk cities
Reply 4
Well, Ive always found Belfast people to be friendly and welcoming to me, as an outsider. I really took them to my heart the first time I went over there. Tiny? Well its always had a vibrancy and buzz to it. I guess it just depends on the individual and whether you get a certain feeling for a place. Everyone told me how fantastic Leeds was before I moved there (albeit for a job, not as a student) - and nah, not for me. Incidentally I'm sure Belfast is 15th in terms of populaion, Leeds is 5th. Not that it means anything.
Reply 5
Also, Irish history is my subject in my BA and my planned MA. So I get a real thrill every time I walk the narrow lanes of a place like the Shankill, I think it would be marvelous to live in the place that you're actually studying. Of course thats unique to me, other people are welcome to hate Belfast if they wish, with equal validity.
Also, Irish history is my subject in my BA and my planned MA. So I get a real thrill every time I walk the narrow lanes of a place like the Shankill, I think it would be marvelous to live in the place that you're actually studying. Of course thats unique to me, other people are welcome to hate Belfast if they wish, with equal validity.

Have you been anywhere in the RoI?
Reply 7

lol @ 'thrill from walking in the Shankill'

P.S. Sandy Row is pretty much beside the student area. So it would mean traveling a little less futher to get your daily thrill.lol
Reply 8
Original post by JupiterSunshine
Have you been anywhere in the RoI?

No, infact I havent been anywhere in NI other than Belfast. It just worked out that way that friends I met doing my first degree were from Belfast. I would definately like to visit other parts of the island were I to accept QUB offer in September.
Reply 9
Original post by bestofyou
lol @ 'thrill from walking in the Shankill'

P.S. Sandy Row is pretty much beside the student area. So it would mean traveling a little less futher to get your daily thrill.lol

I was more implying a historical thrill, in that it was an epicentre of the troubles, which is what I'm interested in...perhaps I should have said the Falls aswell to placate your concerns that I might have Loyalist sympathies?
No, infact I havent been anywhere in NI other than Belfast. It just worked out that way that friends I met doing my first degree were from Belfast. I would definately like to visit other parts of the island were I to accept QUB offer in September.

You definitely should- it feels completely different because for me N.I. feels like a hybrid of England and Ireland!! If you can manage it try and get to west Cork and Kerry :bigsmile:
I was more implying a historical thrill, in that it was an epicentre of the troubles, which is what I'm interested in...perhaps I should have said the Falls aswell to placate your concerns that I might have Loyalist sympathies?

Ahh right. I thought it was more of a thrill like, ohh look at me, I'm on the shankill, who crazy am I.lol

In that case, theres quite a few things to check out. I would certainly look at going to Dublin and checking out the areas taken over by the rebels in 1916 and Kilmainham Gaol.

And no, I would have found it just as funny if you said falls.

Sandy row is quite a historic place as well. From what I can remember, there was quite a large number of mean who joined the ulster div. in WW1. Probably all wiped out, the majority at least.

Reply 12
Ahh right. I thought it was more of a thrill like, ohh look at me, I'm on the shankill, who crazy am I.lol

In that case, theres quite a few things to check out. I would certainly look at going to Dublin and checking out the areas taken over by the rebels in 1916 and Kilmainham Gaol.

And no, I would have found it just as funny if you said falls.

Sandy row is quite a historic place as well. From what I can remember, there was quite a large number of mean who joined the ulster div. in WW1. Probably all wiped out, the majority at least.

Thanks, I'll bear those in mind. As I said, been offered a place on the MA in Irish History, which i'd love to accept. However got the email this afternoon saying I'd been turned down for funding. So my hopes and aspirations are very much still up in the air.
Thanks, I'll bear those in mind. As I said, been offered a place on the MA in Irish History, which i'd love to accept. However got the email this afternoon saying I'd been turned down for funding. So my hopes and aspirations are very much still up in the air.

where did you do your BA. What subject?
Reply 14
where did you do your BA. What subject?

BA was History (Irish and American) and Politics at Stirling between 2005-2009. Got a 2:1 but probably never pushed myself as hard as I could have. Enough to get me onto this MA but not enough to get any financial aid :mad:
BA was History (Irish and American) and Politics at Stirling between 2005-2009. Got a 2:1 but probably never pushed myself as hard as I could have. Enough to get me onto this MA but not enough to get any financial aid :mad:

I applied for Stirling for History, got rejected though. But I wasn't going to firm it anyway, its between Dundee and Aberystwth for me at the minute, and I haven't a clue which to pick. Know anything about their history departments?
Reply 16
Pah, I typed up a long response then my laptop crashed. In a nutshell again:

Dundee is certainly highly rated for its historical research, but my main advice to you was check what 4th year modules each dept. offers...are there any particularly exciting or interesting to you? You'll get immeasurably more out of the latter years of your study if your genuinely passionate as opposed to just impartial

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending